Another noob question

Options
I have been mostly not eating my workout calories back, I will if I get hungry but most of the time I just aim for 1200. My question is about protein. I would like to keep as much muscle as I can while losing weight and am going to start doing strength training exercises starting today. I was wondering if I should be trying to get the extra protein numbers in with maybe a protein shake but still keep the calories down? Is this the way to go or do I still aim for 1200 calories a day and let it be?

Replies

• brandonzeciri
    Options
    I'm on an extreme deficit right now because I'm in the process of dropping about 34lbs in 40 days for a competition coming up on the 10th... With that said, I weight train everyday and keep my protein intake at about 50-95g a day. You don't need a ridiculous amount like 1.4g per pound of lean body mass unless you're doing something like carb cycling, gaining, etc...

I don't know how much you weigh, or are trying to get - but being you're a female, if you feel like you need the extra protein I would just stick with a 16g protein shake, and not opt for the larger 34g servings. When I'm maintaining weight and not cutting for competition my intake is usually 120g (at 180lbs).
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Just eat back half of your exercised calories, I mean you are doing MFP minimum.

I was looking at this powder: http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Vanilla-Cream/dp/B000GISTZ4/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2

120 calories per scoop, looks pretty good.