an old (over 50) newbie

Options
Hi everyone, I just joined this community two days ago and I hope I stay as motivated as I am now! I wonder if most everyone here is younger than me? LOL It is so difficult to lose, when you are 55! I'm going to stay on plan, though, and keep exercising. I know that as I keep going that exercising will get easier, right? (Right now I have many, many sore muscles!)
If there are any older members that have some tips and helps, I'd love to hear!

Replies

• nmcknny
    nmcknny Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm old, too :smile: but hope to make a dent in the weight I've gained over the past few years. You sound very motivated--Good luck to both of us, starting on this new plan!
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It's a little harder to lose weight after 50, but it can be done! You have to diligently track all the calories you consume and burn. Walking is a great way to start your exercise program. I use an app on my phone (Endomondo) to track how far I walk and how many calories I burn, but you can also use a step counter like FitBit to do the same. Good Luck! I'll be rooting for you.
  • brianages
    Options
    I felt old 59 pounds ago! You can lose the weight if you stay focused. MFP is a BIG help in all areas of the process and it is a process.
  • Budda1960
    Options
    Hi there. I'm over 50 too (53 to be precise) and, although I signed up to MFP some time ago, this is the first time I've used it, so I'm a newbie too. I've been on and off weight loss through the years as most people seem to have been. Even in the last year, just losing about 7 lbs can really make you feel better, so with my new determination, I'm looking forward to being able to say what Brianage says about feeling younger!! Good luck to you and remember.........55 is the new 35 (once you're feeling good and healthy) :smile:
  • Cokebear83
    Cokebear83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just joined this community two days ago and I hope I stay as motivated as I am now! I wonder if most everyone here is younger than me? LOL It is so difficult to lose, when you are 55! I'm going to stay on plan, though, and keep exercising. I know that as I keep going that exercising will get easier, right? (Right now I have many, many sore muscles!)
    If there are any older members that have some tips and helps, I'd love to hear!

If anything your doing your body a favor at a cellular level; your triglycerides will improve and your body fat will decrease... Good for you not quitting because of the "old" card!
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that over 50 is NOT old! I'm 59 and I started October 7th (even though I signed up earlier too, it took me a while to get started). I'm losing by counting calories, and you will too. Just be sure to log everything, on good days and bad (and there will be bad ones!). It works best for me to log my food the night before so I know what I am eating the next day. Then I don't have to think about it at the last minute because that's when I make bad choices. There are a lot of suggestions on the message boards. Try them and see which ones work the best for you. Just keep going and you will reach your goal!
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    F.Y.I.
    a new group started " Fifty, Female, and Fun".
    You can check it out in the groups tab.

Good Luck
  • greattimes
    greattimes Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and have lost 73 lbs.so far and have kept it off. It is hard no matter what age but it can be done.
  • Annieshorty18
    Annieshorty18 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Me too, I'm really excited and now I know I'm not the only one. :flowerforyou:
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am 56, and I agree, it gets harder for women to lose weight once they go thru menopause, but it CAN be done! I have lost fifteen pounds so far(it was actually twenty one before the holidays),and I just feel much, much better...A lot of weight loss is psychological(also, what you put in your mouth!), but it CAN be done...Good Luck!

Reaan
  • BOC57
    BOC57 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    56 years old here and though I've used MFP off and on I've not really done much to connect with the site on a social level. I'm going to give that a try this time around and see if that helps. Getting back to the gym today and though I'm not eating much healthier than I was yesterday, I am at least tracking everything I do eat. One step at a time!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and have lost 73 lbs.so far and have kept it off. It is hard no matter what age but it can be done.

This the right attitude!!!

Being over 50 is not old by any stretch!!!!
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    It can be done.....I'm 54 and have found that as long as I stick to my plan it works. It's when I lose sight of that, that I stop losing. I love motivational friends and will motivate in return.......add me if you'd like. Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Well I am 59 and started here almost two years a go. I lost 19 pounds before starting here. I have lost more than 30 since starting here. It takes work and commitment.
  • mjgo56
    mjgo56 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You are as old as you feel...I am 57 1/2 and I don't feel old. I am overweight, but I have lost 30 lbs (although my MFP counter shows only the loss of 15 lbs since I joined this website). I look at my Christmas pics from a year ago and I can definitely see improvement plus I feel better. The best advice besides logging both good and bad days, is to keep your goal(s) realistic. Small short term goals like 5 lbs in one month are best achieved rather than say 50 lbs by a certain date. Also, jot down and keep in mind WHY you are losing this weight...to be healthy for you and any other reason..in my case my grandkids. Plus my husband wants to go on a cruise for our 40th anniversary (if not sooner) and I am not anxious to do that in my current state although that doesn't matter to him. Good luck!
  • brmiller2014
    brmiller2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello I a 38 single mother who started a journey of weight loss about a year and 2 months I lost 50 pounds . I unfortunately fell back into some of my old habits and gained 25 of those pounds pack some how I lost my motivated. But today is a new day and I have decide to kick start my weight loss again and loss those 25 pounds and reach my goal of 150
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Over 50 is old?
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    For me, the myth that it is harder to lose weight over 50 was a convenient excuse for too many years.

In 2-1/2 months I will have been logging on MFP for 2 years and it really works!

I am 62. I don't think it is easy to lose at any age, but it is possible to lose at any age as long as there are no health problems.
    It takes commitment, logging honestly and eating less calories than you burn. Simple, but definately not easy.

There are a lot of people over 50 here who have lost weight, so it can be done.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm 59, started here in September, lost almost 20 lbs before Christmas, and haven't found it to be all that hard at all. My wife is having even greater success than I am. I think we have a tendency to build it up as being much harder than it truly is. There are far too many myths out there regarding age and its impact on metabolism, ability, etc. Weight loss is not hard; it is simple. We make it harder than it needs to be with how we approach it.

Rule #1: Make sure the calories you spend are greater than the calories you consume and you lose weight. Get your exercise, watch your calorie intake.

Rule #2: Exercise is an inefficient way to reach your weight loss goals, especially for regular folks who can't or don't want to spend two to four hours a day working out. It is easier to take 500 calories out of your daily food intake than it is to exercise it off.

Rule #3: Nothing breeds success like consistency. Be consistent, not perfect, both with your diet and exercise program.

Rule #4: Muscle burns calories. The more you have the better. Don't fall for the old "aerobics to lose weight" bit. You don't have to get Hulked up, but train and eat to build and maintain muscle.

And lastly, Rule #5: Use diet to reach your weight goals; use exercise to shape what you want to look like.
  • poohbear1958
    poohbear1958 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm 55. log in daily with an open diary - please feel free to add me for mutual support/motivation :smile: