Feeling Better Than This Time Last Year?

Options

Replies

• pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. Awesome losses by everyone.

I have lost 25 pounds and am so much happier than I was last year. My goal this coming year (and all the rest too) will be to continue to be mindful of how I treat my body and not get back into the bad routines.

** down 27 pounds and have a different attitude about food and health! Keep it up!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Down just over 70 pounds from this point last year, and healthier in so many ways.

February 2013:

426503_578102218867135_459833157_n.jpg

October 2013 (I'm the one in yellow):

1385607_682863998390956_1657233788_n.jpg

I've lost another 10 pounds since the October photo but that's the most recent one I've got.
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Definitely! Started seriously lifting and have seen huge gains in strength. My self-confidence has also improved so much. I haven't really lost any weight this year but I'm a lot smaller (losing cm's). I've also started developing a very positive relationship with food, it's no longer a treat but fuel for my body :smile:
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I love this topic!

I am down 60 pounds from this time last year, and technically I am down that weight from July 5th of this year. I have a lot more work to do but for today I will focus on 60 pounds lost and increased mobility and comfortableness in my own skin. The way I am feeling now makes me so excited to see how I feel with another 100 pounds gone!!

I have been struggling a bit with the 3 pound gain from the last week....but I have been back on track for a few days now and this thread is reminding me what to focus on. I am so ready for 2014 and changes coming the likes of which I have never seen before. Bring it!!! :-)
  • edg6strings
    edg6strings Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I will always remember 2013 as the year I turned my health around & I'm very thankful for that. The 1st pic is from New Years Eve a year ago, I was at about 243. 2nd pic is from Christmas Eve, this past week. Just over 70 lbs lighter & feeling A LOT better than I did a year ago. Only have about 7-8 lbs left to reach my goal. Happy 2014 to everyone & it's never too late to turn it around!

bd1432e8bebe0427cea7f30bf9df9a24_zps80fcbda7.jpg
    597defabdd86e8a63f07f4768261ed2b_zps450b1d87.jpg
  • karmstg
    karmstg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great topic!

I joined Feb 2013. Started at 170 (my highest weight ever) and am now 132. I'd like to lose a few more pounds from belly and thighs, but mainly so I can see the strength-training results better :) That's my focus now--pumping up the training, which I've been doing throughout.

The weight crept up over the last 5 years, mainly job stress--I have an amazing job, but it's sedentary & stressful. I kept telling myself I was okay with it. I'm middle-aged, I've had kids, I can't expect to weigh what I did at 20 and so on. The truth was that it bugged me more than I let on. I get my picture taken a lot (comes with the job) and I started cringing seeing people posting them online. I'd blame the lighting or the outfit or... You get the idea. Finally, I had to say "It's me & I'm not happy with it."

I'm back to my "normal" weight, and that means I'm much happier with my physical self than I was at this time last year. Losing the weight has reduced my job stress more than the comfort food ever did--the exercise makes me feel physically better and the success makes me more confident in tackling other challenges.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Happy 2014 to everyone & it's never too late to turn it around!
    I totally agree. (And you look amazing. Congratulations on a year of hard work.)
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hell yes !! i want 2014 to be like a blast :love:
  • jeninthed
    jeninthed Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm better than I felt a year ago but with some health set backs (it took 2-3 mons to diagnose my fibromyalgia which left me pretty weak) I have not reached my goal.

I have a renewed sense of self and am committed to making this continue to happen!
  • Jericha1992
    Jericha1992 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 pounds lighter than this time last year, and 35 pounds lighter than I was in August of this year (I gained weight between January and August, and then joined MFP).

This time last year, I was experiencing awful backaches and fatigue as a result of my weight, at the ripe old age of 20.

Now 21, I ran my first 5k on Thanksgiving morning, and wasn't even at the very back of the pack! I've gone from "running" a 17:40 mile to a 12:18 mile in the last few months.

I've gone from feeling sore and lethargic to energetic.

My shirts have gone from a 2x to a Large.

Two days ago, I ran (jogged) a mile without stopping to walk for the first time in my life.

Thanks, OP, for making me think about how far I've come. I gained a couple pounds over the holidays and was feeling like a failure. This helped me regain my motivation. I hope to reach my goal weight in 2014. :)
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Every day, I get to celebrate something new that I can do this year that I couldn't do at the same time last year.

The other day, it was being able to walk on top of a layer of crunchy snow without falling through. (Losing 100+ pounds makes a difference.) :-)

Over the holidays, it was having family members comment on how much smaller I am.

I wake up each day feeling happy and healthy.

I'm so grateful to be starting the year in such a positive frame of mind.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 45 lbs. since last year. I'm also a faster, stronger cyclist, and my resting heart rate has dropped from over 60 to around 48-52 depending on the day. Still a bit of weight to take off in 2014, but I'm lighter than I've been since the late '90s.

Of course, right now I can scarcely bend over, because I slipped on the ice and bruised my butt, but that will heal soon enough….

Best wishes to you all for 2014!
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You bet I feel better! Was about 241 on 2012 Christmas day and 155 this year! I've got so much more energy!!! A new woman! I wonder how it is going to be next year...
  • tazzy2911
    tazzy2911 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Well done everyone on your successes this year!
    I've lost 3 stone this year (42 lbs) and the difference it has made to my confidence and therefore my life is unbelievable!! Last New Year's Eve I left my cousins wedding early...I was sick. My underwear was too tight, my corset that I needed to be any way presentable was too tight. I was wearing the only dress I owned that fitted me. I felt like crap. I wanted to hide under the table so nobody would see me!
    This Christmas I was wearing a choice of sequinned pretty dresses feeling amazing! Life and soul of the party! Like my old self! And loads of comments to that effect from family and friends!

Still have about 30lbs to go and while I had hoped to reach that goal this year, I don't see it as a failure, I've just reassessed my goals and I'll reach my goal in 2014!

Happy new year to everyone!!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm down over 20lbs from where I was last year. I also have a job, so a steady paycheck, on top of a cellphone and two healthy cats. Also, a husband. So yea, I'm way better off now.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Well done everyone.

I wore a red blouse this Christmas that I didn't fit into last Christmas. I've been on MFP since July '13, and am down 24 lbs. Wearing rings and pants I couldn't wear for the last few years. I am pretty stoked about all that.

But 2014 is gonna be even better, as I get ready for my retirement before EOY. I want to be slim, fit, and happy for my retirement. MFP is certaining contributing to that.
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I am down 25 lbs and at a weight that I am very comfortable with. Beside becoming a healthier me, 2013 was a huge year in so many more ways. I completed two very big work projects, finished course work for my Master's Degree and celebrated my 15 year anniversary with my boyfriend. Getting in shape helped get me through the stress of the work projects and school. As a bonus, it also made me look good for my anniversary ;)

I need to redefine my goals for the coming year since I do not need to lose any more weight. I know I want to be stronger and fitter - but I need to set specific goals.

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2014!

PA050771_zpsc7f664a3.jpg

654f62e7-f1c3-4a9f-b4c7-7fda7389eee2_zps0306ed9f.jpg
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am down more than 60 lb from this time last year and I don't feel ANY better physically.

I look better. I fit into the world better. I fit into clothes way better. I know I am at lower risk for obesity related health problems.

But I'm not any more athletically capable (in my opinion). I am having occasional bouts with constipation I never had before, that I need to figure out and clear up.

Also...I have roughly the same amount of energy, although I've always been a high energy person even 100 lb heavier than I currently am so that's neither here nor there.

Mentally I am in a better place with much more stability but I attribute that to other factors (recent marriage, stable job) than weight loss.
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've lost my pregnancy weight + 27 pounds.

Last year at this time, I was still swollen from the drugs they gave me during birth, so a before and after right now isn't very accurate. I was also deep into newborn land, happy but emotional and a bit overwhelmed. Right now I feel fantastic. My daughter is amazing. I can run and lift much better than I used to, even before my pregnancy. I'm back at work and feeling really good about my work life balance at the moment (I'm sure this will come and go).

I was feeling pretty good last year, with my new baby, but this year I'm feeling much better physically!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm down 18 lbs (not done yet) and can lift things I never though I could have.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!