Is any fitness ever a fail?!

Options
silverraiyne
silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
http://www.today.com/health/fitness-fails-workouts-you-need-stop-doing-2014-2D11792111?ocid=twitter

I read this article earlier and I'll admit I had a very strong reaction to it at first. My default setting is to react rather than respond. I admit that I initially took it as a personal attack -- I very much enjoy doing some of those activities! As a matter of fact, if it weren't for a few of them I never would've gotten off my lazy *kitten* and realized that fitness could be fun, I never would've realized that I had the potential to train my mind and body to accomplish feats I never would've thought possible before this past year, and I probably wouldn't have lost the weight that I've lost, or found the confidence that has suddenly sprung into my life.

I don't see the point in judging how others choose to get their fitness, at least they're up and moving around. Yes, some of these activities contain certain risks, but so do most activities we regularly do in life. And I find it incredibly foolish and shameful for the media to be running an article like this, many small gym/health clubs offer these types of classes and could now be at risk of losing potential clients.

So what do you think? Is it ever a fail to be getting fitness that doesn't fit the mainstream?

Replies

• missmelt
    missmelt Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I agree, any activity is better than none.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    No matter how slow you're moving, you're lapping the people on the couch!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Stupid article.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Actually, I agree with some of the article.

Stiletto workouts would definitely not be something I'd try, let alone recommend.

The gas mask training is a bit on the fence. I'd say no for the most part because people have a tendency to overdo things, especially if they are just starting off with getting back in shape.

And stability ball stands I'm also on the fence on because some of it just seems to encourage people to enter themselves for the Darwinism awards. Plus, depending on the setting, could be a danger to others who happen to be near them.

The rest of it, I don't really see a problem with.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Stiletto workouts would definitely not be something I'd try, let alone recommend.

The gas mask training is a bit on the fence. I'd say no for the most part because people have a tendency to overdo things, especially if they are just starting off with getting back in shape.

And stability ball stands I'm also on the fence on because some of it just seems to encourage people to enter themselves for the Darwinism awards. Plus, depending on the setting, could be a danger to others who happen to be near them.

I think the stiletto and gas mask ones are Darwinism at play.

Ssshhh...don't screw with science.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options

This is a good thing, not a bad thing.
  • silverraiyne
    Options

I think the stiletto and gas mask ones are Darwinism at play.

Ssshhh...don't screw with science.

^^^Lmao^^^

Yeah, I kinda tend to agree, some of the activities listed are pure foolishness and probably not something I'd want to try...except the stilettos thing -- I can do just about anything in a pair of stilettos :-) But at the same time, if they wanna break their necks trying to become the next great circus star and balance on a ball with the elephants, than who am I to try and stop them?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

That's kind of my reaction too. Some of the things listed in there are silly and asking for injury, although the article is not fair to a lot of things. For example pole dancing, okay someone fell and broke their neck. People break their necks playing sports like rugby and ice hockey, and I'm sure the risk of skin infection from unwashed ice hockey kit (gloves especially!!) is worse than that from unwashed poles.... well duh, of course you should maintain good hygiene... quoting what might happen as a result of a sport + poor hygiene is kind of scraping the barrel for things to criticise it for.

A lot of sports come with a degree of risk. People die while playing football, rugby, ice hockey.... I had a friend who died in a horse riding accident.... what's important is that people partaking in the sports know the risks and take precautions, for example in ice hockey, you wear helmets. They don't prevent every single death but they prevent a great number of them (I should know, my head left a dent in the boards at one ice rink, thank you Mr Bauer for a very well constructed helmet). So yeah. the same goes for pole dancing. Know the risks, take sensible precautions. Maybe a crash mat/safety net and training in how to fall properly (like circus performers have) before doing very advanced moves where there's a risk of falling on your head and breaking your neck.

Some of the things, like tough mudders, maybe they need to be more careful about advising participants to get medical clearance first, especially if they're unfit. Or maybe they do that already and people just don't take notice, ultimately the responsibility for that is on the participants, so long as the organisers have made it clear that there is a risk and participants should get medical clearance.

Some things strike me as really stupid like running in stilettos... maybe that has its place for some people in some situations, like training with a gas mask for high altitude running, standing on exercise balls for developing balance or whatever..... but that's where people need to have a modicum of common sense and not just do things because everyone else is doing it and everyone else says it's a good idea.... if it looks dangerous and you don't think you have sufficient balance skills or fitness to do it without getting hurt, you're probably right so don't do it.
  • silverraiyne
    Options
    OMG. Now this is probably the craziest thing I've seen in heels.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-27295-1349812946-0.gif
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Stupid article.
    This.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    To answer the question, yes, some "fitness" activities are absolutely a fail. In most cases, it has less to do with the activity itself (excepting really dumb things like trying to squat on a stability ball) and more to do with the lack of experience and lack of physical ability of the person completing the activity in question. Crossfit is a perfect example. If you're Rich Froning or Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet, go ahead and Crossfit yourself silly. If you haven't so much as taken a walk around the block in the past year, you should rethink the idea of doing high-intensity Olympic lifting routines for time. The odds of you getting seriously injured doing such things are much higher than the odds of you getting into wicked shape.

Sure, there is an exception here and there. There aren't enough exceptions to warrant encouraging people to do things that are completely unsuitable and unnecessary just because "hey, at least they're doing something." The choice is not between doing something and doing nothing.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't have the ability to do it, but the yoga and pilates on the stand up boards looks fun.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    The only failure is if you do too much and injure yourself :-(
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I think fitness is a fail when you have to spend two or three hours at the gym pursuing it, unless you're an elite athlete who does this for a living.

It's very possible to train smarter, for less time, and not risk breaking your neck in the process. I would not do some of the things mentioned in the article even in the name of "some fitness is better than no fitness." It's just not worth the potential injury.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I agree with the article more than I disagree with it. Yes, any form of exercise has the potential to be dangerous...but learning proper technique and form often mitigates this risk. There is nothing safe about working out in stilletos regardless of form or training with a gas mask or whatever...not to mention it doesn't really do much to actually prepare the runner for higher altitudes...living at elevation myself, there is a lot more that goes into that than just your breathing.

I'm actually somewhat surprised to see some of the stuff that is allowed on mud runs and the like...I know here that the State doesn't allow certain things like drinking beer on the course, etc...drinking beer while running miles and doing obstacles is not a safe practice...again...what proper form would make that safe.

I have no issue with pole dancing so long as proper technique is learned and practiced though it would be more inherently dangerous than say...doing the elliptical.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Well, I have to agree with the article on a couple of points, for instance, the whole idea of "exercising" in stilettos is idiotic. While all exercise has inherent risks, most of those mentioned in the article increase the risk of injury by a significant degree. Overall the article focused on some pretty stupid exercise fads.
  • silverraiyne
    Options
    As far as exercising in stilettos...I would never go to a stiletto workout class, it just doesn't appeal to me. However, I do pole fitness -- and I love it! -- and during certain parts of my class I am in high heels -- not so much stilettos but rather platform "stripper shoes" I am aware that there are certain risks to enjoying my chosen form of fitness, and to combat those risks I chose a class that starts off learning basic pole safety and easy to learn moves, over the last year and a half I have steadily built up my strength and learned more challenging moves, though I always practice pole safety and *thankfully* have not suffered any injuries.

95759018636d11e3a13f12befe090f9c_8.jpg