anyone goal set to Lose 1/2 lb per week?

Options
Hello. I just joined today. I am wondering if anyone on here set their goal to lose 1/2 lbs per week. if so, is it a steady loss? do you lose more or less than 1/2 lbs? I am starving trying to lose 1 lb per week, so losing 1/2 lb I feel will be better for me to take it slow and not deprive myself. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    If you just joined today, I'm going to suggest that you try MFP's formula for losing 1lb/week for at least a week and see if you are starving then. I have lost 32 lbs in 4 months and have had no days in which I felt that I was starving. I've been losing a pound/week since October so I would think I'd have had "starving" days if I were going to have them. I am also going to suggest that you get 15-30 minutes of exercise/day (mostly I walk) and eat lean meats fruits and veggies instead of calorie dense foods like chips and tons of bread. 1400-1500 calories can go a long way in whole foods. I don't eat totally clean by any means, I just ate cake for Pete's sake, but I have started eating better for me foods during my 140 days on MFP. I am 10 pounds from my goal and slowly moving from 1lb/wk to .5/wk loss so that I can have a "soft landing" at maintenance, I ate 1400/day most of my journey and am up to 1500/day now. Good luck!!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    This was my previous setting and it worked. Good choice
  • tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The thing about weight loss is predictions are based on averages. I am female and 4'11". I have never in my life lost a steady 1 lb a week past the first 10 days where water whooshes out of you.

The 1/2 pound a week was great for setting my expectations to a reasonable level. But even that is an average. Some weeks I lose 1 lb, the next week I lose nothing. I've gone several weeks without losing anything. That is simply the way it is for many of us women. And the 1/2 may be a place to start while you are getting use to things.

But I would also wonder about you being hungry. Particularly since you are new. If you are hungry, you may be either miscalculating your needs (I can't tell you how many women under eat on MFP for the first few weeks!), or you are not eating satisfying food. When it comes to satiety, all calories aren't created equal. Protein can be your best friend when it comes to not feeling hungry. And a true serving of protein can be really quite moderate in calories.
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options
    Thanks for all of your feedback. I don't want to give up eating so much all at once I'm trying to slowly decrease so my chances of giving up will go down. Thanks again
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I am on the .5 lb a week weight loss now but I have also lost 40 lbs since using MFP and I am within 10 lbs of my goal. MFP gives me 1450 in cals to eat plus I eat back nearly all of my fitness cals and the extra cals my fitbit gives me.

If you have more than 20 lbs to lose, there is no reason not to try for 1lb a week loss. But on the MFP plan you ARE supposed to eat the exercise cals that you burn. If you are hungry, that may be the reason why.

Weight loss should be slow and steady so either plan will get you there. Have patience though and it will happen.

Good luck to you!
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Heres a suggestion. Eat less log accurately for a week meaning everything from your morning coffee and creamer down to a few chips and see what your average is for the week. Then you can manually set your calorie goal at the end of the week. Not every one has to eat at 1200 a day its just the bare minimum. I average about 1400 daily so I keep it at that. Also if you dont necessarily know your calorie goal to lose weight try this website it tells you how much you will need to eat http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options
    My calorie goal is about 2100 to lose 1/2 lb per week. I aimed for 1800 to lose a lb but it leaves me so hungry like dead serious!!
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've had mine set to 1/2lb per week since I started and have lost 35lbs altogether. I am on maintenance now and still have it set at the 1/2lb loss, but now am eating most of my exercise calories back (previously eating only about 1/2 of them back) and have been maintaining this weight for 8 months.

On days when you are not as hungry, you can always leave another 250 of your allotted calories uneaten to work up to the 1lb per week setting. I find if I get too hungry I make poor choices so prefer to have the calories there if I want them.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    If you are starving trying to lose 1 lb per week your foods probably lack nutrient density. I recommend Scooby's workshop since MFP's calculator can be flawed (they once told me to live off of 1300 calories a day)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Also you should open your diary...
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Then you need to rethink the foods you are eating. Try getting proteins and veggies a few times a day and you can stay low on cals but full. You need nutrient rich foods in you. Protein and veggies. Fats are good too but in reality, protein will fill you up quicker and last longer than ice cream, even though ice cream is awesome and belongs in every persons eating choices (if their body can process it that is).

You can check my diary to see some of the foods I eat and how much of it to see how to survive on less cals. (last week is not a good sample because of the holidays) I usually eat around 1800 a day based on a .5 lb weight loss. I am rarely hungry. Sometimes I want to eat more because I want dessert or something else but i am rarely, if ever, starving.

However, if you are feeling good at 2100 cals and losing the .5 lbs a week as planned, this is a good thing. Slower weight loss is better for long term success anyway. Studies show that people who rush weight loss often fail to keep it off. Those that slowly lose are more likely to keep it off.
  • brown46545
    brown46545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You have received great advice here.

I would say that the whole weight loss process is trying to see what works best for you. Try the 1/2 lb a week calorie allotment and see how you feel, how hungry you are, if you are losing weight, etc. If it's very doable, maybe try lowering your calories a little to take you to 1 lb a week or vice versa.

I do say this - whatever you do, it's imperative to accurately measure your food for their calorie value. I started using measuring cups and now I weigh my food on a digital scale to be more accurate. I think it's easy to underestimate how many calories we're consuming. And likewise, it's easy to overestimate how many calories you're burning when you exercise. I have seen people on MFP state they burned 700 calories from a 4 mile walk. To my knowledge, that is completely impossible. So, those 2 things can affect your weight loss as well.
  • popflying
    Options
    My take is that, if you are really starving at that calorie intake limit than set it for 1/2 lb a week. In a month or two, bump it to 1lb / week.

I started out at 1.5 lbs/week but I found that was too strict for me and I was always stressing out over food. I reduced it to 1lb/week, and I'm doing a LOT better (and losing weight more quickly- since I'm less prone to binging). I'm now at the point where I've gotten used to the reduced calorie intake and will probably drop things back down to 1.5 lbs/week.

Don't feel bad for losing slowly- you're making a lifestyle change. If it takes going slow for a couple of months to make you stick to your goals, then do it.

And follow everyone's food advice here! More filling foods are key as well :) precut celery stored in a tupperware with water (in the fridge) is my favorite. Super crunchy, no bitterness.
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been set at a 1/2 lb a week since September, I have steadily lost the weight, and actually a bit more than expected. I joined a thread where everyone was set a a 1/2 lb a week, so there are others out there. I like the slow and steady approach, I'm now within the last 5-10 lbs of my goal, and I'm not going to restrict myself to 1280 to lost a pound a week.

If you're starving at 1800 then you need to look into what sorts of food you're eating. Focus on eating protein and fiber that will fill you up. Also drink a big glass of water with a meal or snack, it will help fill you up without giving you extra calories. Keep in mind that you're just starting your calorie reduction, so you will naturally be hungry at first. Give yourself a few weeks to get use to eating at a smaller amount.
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options
    If you are starving trying to lose 1 lb per week your foods probably lack nutrient density. I recommend Scooby's workshop since MFP's calculator can be flawed (they once told me to live off of 1300 calories a day)

Yes I'm working on adding in more protein and veggies to keep full linger. It's a work in progress. I probably won't ever open my diary b/c I write notes in the food section I kinda want to keep...well.. private I guess

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Also you should open your diary...
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options
    Then you need to rethink the foods you are eating. Try getting proteins and veggies a few times a day and you can stay low on cals but full. You need nutrient rich foods in you. Protein and veggies. Fats are good too but in reality, protein will fill you up quicker and last longer than ice cream, even though ice cream is awesome and belongs in every persons eating choices (if their body can process it that is).

You can check my diary to see some of the foods I eat and how much of it to see how to survive on less cals. (last week is not a good sample because of the holidays) I usually eat around 1800 a day based on a .5 lb weight loss. I am rarely hungry. Sometimes I want to eat more because I want dessert or something else but i am rarely, if ever, starving.

However, if you are feeling good at 2100 cals and losing the .5 lbs a week as planned, this is a good thing. Slower weight loss is better for long term success anyway. Studies show that people who rush weight loss often fail to keep it off. Those that slowly lose are more likely to keep it off.

Thank you for the sound advice!
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options
    You have received great advice here.

I would say that the whole weight loss process is trying to see what works best for you. Try the 1/2 lb a week calorie allotment and see how you feel, how hungry you are, if you are losing weight, etc. If it's very doable, maybe try lowering your calories a little to take you to 1 lb a week or vice versa.

I do say this - whatever you do, it's imperative to accurately measure your food for their calorie value. I started using measuring cups and now I weigh my food on a digital scale to be more accurate. I think it's easy to underestimate how many calories we're consuming. And likewise, it's easy to overestimate how many calories you're burning when you exercise. I have seen people on MFP state they burned 700 calories from a 4 mile walk. To my knowledge, that is completely impossible. So, those 2 things can affect your weight loss as well.

I'm the queen of estimating. I will invest in one. Thanks!
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options
    I've been set at a 1/2 lb a week since September, I have steadily lost the weight, and actually a bit more than expected. I joined a thread where everyone was set a a 1/2 lb a week, so there are others out there. I like the slow and steady approach, I'm now within the last 5-10 lbs of my goal, and I'm not going to restrict myself to 1280 to lost a pound a week.

If you're starving at 1800 then you need to look into what sorts of food you're eating. Focus on eating protein and fiber that will fill you up. Also drink a big glass of water with a meal or snack, it will help fill you up without giving you extra calories. Keep in mind that you're just starting your calorie reduction, so you will naturally be hungry at first. Give yourself a few weeks to get use to eating at a smaller amount.

I do need to eat better foods. I think my body has to adjust from eating 4000 cals per day to knocking it in half. I'll get there I pray!
  • Judy2216
    Options
    You will! Even though I'm new here too these people are very supportive. We can do this!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Pretty much where I am right now. It's been very slow, and you have to be very accurate if you actually want to see the scale move.
  • Pat109
    Options
    Thanks for good advice getting started is overwhelming