Success with upping calories?

Options
Hi, so I've just upped my calories to 2000 (but only plan on eating around 1900), because 1940 or something like that is my TDEE-10% according to a few calculators. However, I want to know of others success with upping it, did you gain weight first? or just start seeing losses? It's only my second day, so obviously way too early to tell, but I'm super nervous i'll just gain more weight. I'm techincally at a healthy weight, I just want to look better, be firmer, I lift and also do cardio, at home i work out 6 days a week, at school 2-3,

For the calculator it wanted me to put in my activity level, I put in the 2nd one, light exercise, 1-3 times a week, because most of the time I'm at school. So should I still eat back my exercise calories (i only do that for cardio) and should this work, give me success stories!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Your exercise calories have already been figured into the equation so no, don't eat back additional calories unless you go well above and beyond your normal exercise routine
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If your caloric intake is based off of TDEE then no, your exercise calories are already figured into the equation so no need to eat them back...... Best of Luck
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    it's based off my TDEE but then minus 10% so the deficit of TDEE is built in, so if I burned some more calories wouldn't it up that 10% to be higher when I just want it at 10%?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    TDEE includes your exercise, but if you exercised 7 days one week when you have it set to 1-3 workouts, you could eat extra for the extra workouts if you like.
  • DavPul
    Options
    it's based off my TDEE but then minus 10% so the deficit of TDEE is built in, so if I burned some more calories wouldn't it up that 10% to be higher when I just want it at 10%?

no. the 10% is built in. your tdee before exercise is probably 1900 or so. add in exercise 3-4 times per week and it's 2200-ish. subtract 10% from that and it hovers around 2000.

just eat the number you gave in your OP without adding or subtracting exercise. your whole week's worth of exercise is built in
  • CaliopeCupcake
    Options
    WOW ED---what a success story you are! over 300# is truly a remarkable feat.

question---please explain your avatar--it's unclear what body part you are displaying!
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    nobody answered the other questions:
    people who have significantly upped calories, did you gain first?
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I did not gain anything when I upped my calories. In fact, I lost weight that I could not lose the previous 6 weeks. I now eat a .5 lb a week loss (~TDEE - 10%) and feel great. I am still losing but slower since I am 10 lbs from my goal weight.

YMMV though. It will depend what kind of foods you add. To much sodium/processed foods and I will blow up like a balloon and have the matching weight for a few days.
  • DavPul
    Options
    nobody answered the other questions:
    people who have significantly upped calories, did you gain first?

many times the increased calories will allow for increased glycogen storage which will increase water weight.
  • CaliopeCupcake
    Options
    remember food has weight--so if your intestines are fuller, and you drink fluids with it, that may show on the scale; but do not be discouraged that it is fat gain, or even water gain. your body will burn it as you stay active. Don't weigh every day. just keep up with bran cereal so you are regular with elimination once or even twice a day. In college I was a PE major and a statistician for wrestling team 4 years. The days before weigh-in for a wrestling match or tournament, the coach would tell wrestlers who needed to drop a few # to make weight for their class, to only eat one pound of food per day. this is an illustration-- not saying you should do this.