Heart Rate Monitor help

Options
I'm curious what HR monitors others are using that sync with myfitnesspal. What do you like and don't like about it, and does it also track calories burned? (I know there are a lot of reviews on here about polar, but I'm looking for one that syncs with myfitnesspal, so am not interested in polar.)

Thanks! :)

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I was just browsing MFP's Apps page, and it looks to me like the only heart rate monitor that they integrate with is the RHYTHM Pulse Monitor, which is a wristband-style HRM. Are there others? The ones with chest straps are usually more reliable.

It looks as if Endomondo integrates with several heart rate monitors (http://www.endomondo.com/features), as long as your smartphone is compatible. Endomondo can be integrated with MFP, so you could do things that way.

I don't find it very onerous to copy data manually from my HRM to MFP.
  • famoushamish
    Options
    I use a Polar H7 chest strap. It does (indirectly) integrate with MFP. It is a Bluetooth 4 strap (low power bluetooth, so battery lasts ages) which is compatible with the iPhone 4S and up (I have 5S).
    I use it with MFP via Runkeeper (which I use for tracking my runs) on my phone.
    Runkeeper uses the bluetooth connection on my phone to get the HR info from the strap, it uses that to track my HR, calories, distance etc and sends the info automatically to MFP (I have my Runkeeper and MFP accounts linke).
  • muneca_eyes
    muneca_eyes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How does it indirectly integrate with MFP? Everything I've read said you have to manually add calories burned. I'm terrible at manually adding my workouts and food, which is why I'm looking for one that automatically does. I have a Fitbit Zip pedometer and it automatically syncs with MFP which has been great! Now that I've added more than walking, I wanted to get my HR and calories burned.

I also don't use Runkeeper. Not a runner. :)
  • muneca_eyes
    Options
    I was just browsing MFP's Apps page, and it looks to me like the only heart rate monitor that they integrate with is the RHYTHM Pulse Monitor, which is a wristband-style HRM. Are there others? The ones with chest straps are usually more reliable.

It looks as if Endomondo integrates with several heart rate monitors (http://www.endomondo.com/features), as long as your smartphone is compatible. Endomondo can be integrated with MFP, so you could do things that way.

Checked out Endomondo, is it basically another tracking app, but syncs with MFP? So I wouldn't have to do any additional entries? That would work great if that is what it does. That's basically what my FitBit Zip does. It goes through the FitBit app and then syncs to MFP. Endomondo says it syncs with polar, which would be really great since a polar is what I was interested in, but didn't like that it doesn't play nice with MFP.
  • muneca_eyes
    Options
    Thank you! Read more on Endomondo and I didn't know that all I would need was another app! :) Ordered my Polar Ft4 with bluetooth band. :)