Keto Low Carb Scare (long post, sorry)

Options
I just want to post this because it just happened to me last night. I started a low carb high fat keto diet a few weeks ago. I had tried Adkins in the past and thought that it might help me lose weight. I read all the websites and really focused on it. I was in ketosis and following all the rules. Then, last night, I looked at my left arm and there were two bright red stripes going from above my elbow to my wrist. It looked like I had cut myself, but I realized that they were arteries. I freaked out. It was really scary. I mean, I see veins in my wrist and on my hands, but never arteries. You’re not supposed to ever be able to see arteries. I was really scared and the only reason I didn’t go the emergency room was that it wasn’t painful and I was alone. But it was a shocking sight. I’m sure if my son had been home, he would have made me go.

I was sure it was the diet. I read deep into the search pages beyond the diet doctors and all the keto and low carb sites. And I found medical studies about LCHF patients with vascular problems, research on blood chemistry changes from the fat and the lack of glucose. I got this really sick feeling. So, the first thing I did was eat a banana. Then I massaged my arm and tried to relax, but my heart was pounding – and not from the carbs in the banana.

Today, I can still see them, but they’re not as bright. Of course, I’m eating a regular diet and had a tuna sandwich for lunch and a granola bar. But I’m not hungry at all. I’m still freaked out.

I know that all the keto people will say that I caused it or did something wrong, but this post is for new people considering going on it. Now I realize that it’s really dangerous to alter the chemistry in your blood and in your body. We’re not cavemen and humans have been eating grains for tens of thousands of years. Over a billion people eat white rice everyday with fish, meat, vegetables and they’re not fat. I’m not advocating junk food, but cutting out all carbs and eating too much fat is NOT healthy. Your body functions the way it does for a reason and the liver, pancreas, and insulin are there for good reasons. Don’t listen to fanatics who claim to know the science of insulin. It’s a crock, it really is, and – I hope you never see what I saw in my arm last night.

So why did I do it? I guess I was just kind of desperate to try something. I was having a hard time calorie counting, even though it’s the only healthy way that works.

Today I went back to it with carbohydrates included. Of course, I’m not going to eat a bunch of donuts and cookies, but I will say yes to sandwiches, pasta, rice, and potatoes in moderation.

I think keto is dangerous and I just wanted to post this in case anyone else is considering it. It was really frightening, believe me. I feel very lucky to be okay today.

Best of luck to everyone and happy new year!

Replies

• kenkl
    kenkl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    In the interests of full-disclosure, I'm one of those "keto people". Been doing it for a couple months now, and I feel great. I would suggest that you remember that correlation does not imply causation. You had a symptom of *something*, perhaps, but blaming it on keto is probably not productive.

Enjoy your tuna sandwich. :smile:
  • pudgemustbudge
    pudgemustbudge Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It was definitely causation, as in caused by keto. Not correlation. That’s the exact jargon from the websites.
    If my post spares one person what I went through, it will be productive.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto since July. Never had an issue with veins or anything vascular. In fact, I feel way better than I did when I was eating a crapload of carbs. This is fear-mongering. Just because you had this side effect, doesn't mean all ketoers will. Maybe your body just can't handle keto, or maybe it's something completely unrelated to keto. You won't know unless you see a doctor. Using your story to scare others away from an eating plan that may benefit them is a pretty shameful thing to do.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My parents both did Atkins in the 90's, and suffered physically for it.

Personally, being diabetic, I am pro low-carb, but healthy carbs ARE good, and certainly low-fat. No bacon-butter buffets!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My parents both did Atkins in the 90's, and suffered physically for it.

Personally, being diabetic, I am pro low-carb, but healthy carbs ARE good, and certainly low-fat. No bacon-butter buffets!

I use bacon, butter AND I use bacon grease! It's soooooo yummy!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I was sure it was the diet.

Can't tell you if your scare was directly from the diet or not, but keto diets certainly do cause increases in arterial stiffness.

And that ain't a good thing.

EDIT: My local expert tells me that redness like that is almost certainly not arteries, as those are buried too deeply. It could, however, between broken capillaries, which are the itty bitty vascular structures that connect arteries to veins. Do you by any chance do CrossFit?
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think with any diet, the only way you can know what happened is by talking to a doctor. It's also important to note that, like any diet or lifestyle change, they aren't always for everyone. It just depends.

In the end, if you're interested in a keto lifestyle, talk to your doctor. If you're in any kind of diet and worried about symptoms or side effects, talk to your doctor. Not random forum people.
  • pudgemustbudge
    Options
    I don’t do cross fit, but yesterday I did moderate lifting and some cardio. But they weren't capillaries because those are small and spidery. These were two long lines and when I touched them, they felt the way veins feel. And they were solid all the way down the inside of my arm. I can still see them faintly. Maybe they were veins and not arteries? But they were bright red, not purple/blue.

In any case, thanks so much for your thoughtful response and for asking your local expert. I will talk to my doctor, but I feel lucky, as if I dodged a bullet. I know keto works for some people and I respect that. It’s just not for me anymore.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    While I respect your choice not to do keto anymore, what I'm reading tells me that you tried it for 5 minutes, got freaked out by something that I have never seen happen to myself or any of my keto friends, made a generalization that all keto must be highly dangerous, and insisted on sharing how dangerous it is with everyone in order to "save them." While it is possible that what happened was a side effect of your diet, the keto lifestyle really does help many people feel and live a more healthy life. It just may not be for you, so telling everyone how dangerous it is seems a bit over-dramatic, really. And my post is not intended to be insulting, I really do hope you find what works for you. I just get a bit tired of seeing people try to scare others away from a great and healthy lifestyle just because it didn't work for them. Best of luck to you in your quest for health, though!

P.S.- Don't confuse Paleo and keto... they are not the same thing. Living a "caveman lifestyle" that doesn't include grains is not necessarily low-carb. And just because we have been eating grains doesn't mean it's dangerous to cut them out, we thrived without grains way longer than living with them.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Can't tell you if your scare was directly from the diet or not, but keto diets certainly do cause increases in arterial stiffness.

:laugh: In for arterial stiffies...uh...stiffness :blushing:
  • ceestahr
    Options
    Simply put, some diets work for some people while other diets work for others. It's a shame that you had this scare, and I agree that you should see a Dr - regardless of the cause. But it makes me sad that there's so many individuals here that criticize others based on their method of weight-loss. Aren't we here for support?
  • pudgemustbudge
    Options
    Yes, exactly – the point of the forum is support. And I’ve gotten a lot of criticism just for posting my experience and personal view. Obviously, everyone is free to chose his or her own program and method. But if even one person – who may be lurking and not even posting – gets some benefit from reading my experience, then I think it is worthwhile. It’s my experience and my opinion – just like any other post.
  • 12souza
    12souza Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Because your posting your experience as a baseless fact when there could have been many causes for what happened. Further, youre doing it without expert opinion such as a dietician or a doctor. Its like youre the michael moore of keto diets
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes, exactly – the point of the forum is support. And I’ve gotten a lot of criticism just for posting my experience and personal view. Obviously, everyone is free to chose his or her own program and method. But if even one person – who may be lurking and not even posting – gets some benefit from reading my experience, then I think it is worthwhile. It’s my experience and my opinion – just like any other post.

I don't think the criticism is coming from you posting your personal experience. I think you really do want to help others by sharing, which is great. But forgive us if we get defensive when you call our way of life dangerous and feel you need to "save people" from it, like we're a cult forcing people to drink kool-aid. Like I said, I do hope you find what works for you, but don't get upset when you attack a lifestyle and people push back. It didn't work for you, that's fine, but in the future just share your experience without making gross generalizations. Keto isn't inherently dangerous, it just isn't for everyone.
  • Andy_Chow
    Options
    I've been on a keto diet for a little over a year. Had two problems so far. Once I had WAY too much sodium for several days (weeks?) in a row, my knuckles became all purple. I read it might be sodium/potassium imbalance. Really freaked me out. I ate a banana (same as you, lol). Next day my knuckles were fine.

Another time my knuckles/back of my hands became all red and flaky. I rubbed vitamin E on it and was fine. I think I was getting too much protein and not enough fat, and not enough fiber. Or maybe my hands were exposed to harsh cold for too long (damn Canadian winters).

Otherwise, it's been smooth sailing. I lost 85 lbs, have never felt more energetic, never felt better digestion wise (I used to get cramps, feel sick). I can outrun a lot of fitter looking people on the treadmill, pump heavier iron. My cholesterol levels, blood pressure and nutrients are all optimal (my cholesterol used to be high, my pressure was normal, not optimal). I had high neutrocyte levels, but I got my blood tested because I had a throat infection (the only time I got sick in the last year, btw).

I think the problem is that people do Keto diets stupidly, not balancing nutrients to good levels, not getting enough fiber and getting too much sodium. It's like becoming a vegetarian and only eating salads, of course you're going to end up with a lot of problems.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Because your posting your experience as a baseless fact...

Actual experience is not a "baseless fact", and that's exactly the kind of no-content reply that drags this place down.
  • 12souza
    12souza Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    He is stating that his experience is due to keto.. and is stating it as a fact. He should see a doctor before doing so because there are many reasons this could have happened. I get the person is freaked out but coming on here and giving his opinion (that his experience is due to keto) without seeing a doctor is irresponsible
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Red streaks up your arm? Sounds like an infection. Did you injure yourself in anyway? I got those from an injection site that became infected. Your arteries are too deep to show like that, it is veins if it is anything.

Please go see a doctor. If it IS an infection, you need antibiotics. Red streaks up your arm are not something to mess around with.
  • KellyJannine
    KellyJannine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    a picture would have been beneficial.. however, something like this should not be left up to logical deduction by you. You should seek out a medical professional regarding this issue. Even if you don't see it, it can still be a problem. Seek a professional.

Kelly