How To Firm Saggy Skin...

...Anyone found anything that even helps a little?

I've read about drinking plenty of water, exercise, time, slow weight loss.

Replies

• katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Ive heard that massages can help. I've also read good things about derma rollers. But I think, plenty of water, time, age and genetics are the best helpers.
  • I've heard keeping hydrated as well as moisturizing helps! good luck!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Beyond utilizing a solid lifting program and keeping your weight loss rate reasonable, there's not much you can to do affect it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Here's a good read about that: http://www.burnthefat.com/loose_skin.html
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Thanks for all your responses.

I've got a ways to go still and notice that my skin is loose and wonder how it will be as I continue to lose. Patience, right? I'm still in the process!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    If you already have saggy skin, you could give it time to retract, however if you still losing weight, you may need surgery to rectify the issue. On average, people with about 80lbs or more to lose will end up with loose skin.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I have a ton of loose skin, just hoping some of it will go away but I'm not expecting miracles, it's REALLY bad.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Build muscle underneath?
  • Yellowstonegirl
    Yellowstonegirl Posts: 26 Member
    Something that might help is dry body brushing. You can do a search on line and find videos and such. It is great for moving toxins out of your system and sloughing off dead skin cells. I was doing it for a while and it really seemed to tighten my skin. After a week of skin brushing a friend asked me if I had been working out because my arms were starting to look more toned. I also found it to be one of the most invigorating therapies I've ever tried. I plan to start again after the new year.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Not only hydration, slow loss and exercise but nutrition (need to incorporate healthy fats), skin care, genetics, age, and how long you were overweight/obese also play a part.

I've got some loose skin but considering I was obese for about 20 years and have a lot of stretch marks, it's no wonder that the skin hasn't fully recovered. However, I still have fat filling in some areas and know that until that's gone, the skin won't retract. I've also read that it can take up to 2 years after reaching goal for skin to fully recover.

Also, the skin may go through periods of being loose and then tightening up. I noticed this a lot with my belly - it would get really flabby and then I'd notice the skin would start tightening up.

As with a lot of this weight loss/fitness process, patience is the key.