Jeans shopping rant

Options
capriqueen
capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
How bad can shopping for jeans be? I went to a Lee outlet today asking for a size 28 jeans. He looked at ne and said, "Well I doubt a 28 would fit you, maybe you should try a 32". I had fit in a 28 Levis, and while sizes from different brands vary, I thought it wouldn't hurt to try. I didn't like the fit so I went to a Levis store next. This guy asks whether I want jeans in discount or from a fresh collection, and, before I could answer, says that he does not have discounted jeans in a 32 so maybe I should try the new collection instead.

I know I'm not model material and that I should probably lose some weight off my lower body. But surely there must be a more polite way of putting things?

Replies

• mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Wow, how rude! There definitely is a more polite way. I always hate shopping for jeans anyway. I never seem to find ones that fit properly.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    I know right? If people selling stuff dont even know the right way to talk I dont know what they're doing there.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It is true, jeans shopping is IMPOSSIBLE. At each store I have to try on multiple sizes and styles because there is no universal standard. I thought that if I lost weight, shopping would be an awesome experience. At least when I was heavier I had a baseline for what size I should be wearing, now that I don't even have that, it is infinitely more difficult and a lot less fun.

ps. Don't take it so hard about the salesmen. I'm sure they were just being matter of fact about a product they sell. They probably thought they were being helpful even.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    Thanks kristy6ward. Ive actually never gone jeans shopping, Ive had hand me downs that fit me well until I put on weight. I didnt realise what a pain it can be!
    Girls in my country are pretty small, so a slightly heavier woman automatically falls in the large section.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Which size ended up fitting the best?
  • capriqueen
    Options
    I will be honest...I did not fit into the size 28 skinny jeans but I did fit into something called the size 28 demi curve. Go figure!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    the sales person had an ingrown-
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have is that they are to long, because I am to short. :ohwell:
  • XjXannX
    XjXannX Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Lee jeans are sucky. but that guy shouldn't have said that, how rude! Jean shopping is frustrating, I hate it
  • JamieBeth19
    JamieBeth19 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    At least you are brave enough to talk to the sales people about your size! When I walk in I always give them the classic "just looking" it's my polite way of saying "Yes I may need some help but I'm not willing to share anything about my body with you" haha! Jeans shopping has always been miserable for me, I have very wide hips :/
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I also have wide hips. It's REALLY hard to find jeans that fit and I'd be really upset if a salesmen started making implications about the size of my derriere!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    that sucks, but sounds like he was right about the skinny jeans. maybe he knows that they run a few sizes small?

not sure what your body type is, but i really like old navy jeans. their skinny jeans are flattering and i think they've done pretty well in the last few years to no longer have their jeans looking like mom styles
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Though not the most socially graceful, I think both sales agents were trying to be helpful not to hurt your feelings. I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I realise Im not the only one here. @meshashesha20, I am a classic pear. I wear a size 2 in shirts and a size 10 in pants. (Belljar, maybe?) I live in India where people are still coming to terns with the fact that all girls don't have 35" butts. In fact, I kunda feel like the Puerto Rican in Sisterthood of the Travelling Pants about mine. @inside_lap: I know they were trying to help. I just meant they should choose their words carefully.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I still can't find jeans. I have big thighs and calves and if I find something that fits in the waist and makes my butt look good then they're so tight in the calves they look horrible.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I CANNOT BELIEVE THESE SALESMEN HAD THE GALL TO TRY TO HELP A CUSTOMER GET INTO THE PROPER FITTING JEANS!!!!
  • capriqueen
    Options
    @DavPul : you know what im talking about.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I CANNOT BELIEVE THESE SALESMEN HAD THE GALL TO TRY TO HELP A CUSTOMER GET INTO THE PROPER FITTING JEANS!!!!

Everyone knows the proper tactic is to bring the 32s on a 28 hanger and if they buy you pull the size tag out while ringing them up. Gotta pad the ego of your customers.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I have salesmen telling me what size i should try all the time. It's their job. And most of the time they know better how their clothes are sized.
    I have jeans that i wear regularly in size 2, 4 and 6. Different brands but they all fit. If i go to a store and ask for a 2, and the guy tells me to try on a 6, i am going to do so and be grateful that he saved me the time it would've taken to try on too small jeans.

As for saying it nicely? How would one do that? Why is it even something that needs to be said nicely? "You should maybe try a 32." is how anyone would say it. Maybe you're oversensitive about your weight, but that is your issue.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So were the salespeople right or not?

I'm confused about what the problem is. Was it their "tone"?

ETA: I treat most salespeople as "experts" in whatever it is they're selling. I'll rely on them to point me in the right direction. Why not use their expertise to start you in the right size (or at least the right ballpark)? And if a smaller size fits better, feel free to "rub it in their faces". They'll probably appreciate the feedback so they can better hone their expertise.