I am probably beating a dead horse here ...

Options
2»

Replies

• gymteachermommy
    Options
    If you are on Facebook, there are a bunch of different fitness "pages" you can "like" that pump great articles, workout routines, healthy recipes, etc into your newsfeed. I like MindbodyGreen and SkinnyMs just to name a couple. Also, I teach PE and we do a lot of all the suggestions listed above! Good luck!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    No dead horse here -

Here's the good news - nobody needs to lift weights to maintain existing muscle mass and build on existing strength.

Start out with push-ups, bodyweight squats and a variation of chin-ups or pull-ups depending on how strong you currently are.

Aim for several sets of around 5-8 reps for each exercise if it is strength you are looking to build. Look at You Are Your Own Gym and Body By You for excellent programmes and a guy on You Tube called Al Kavadlo for awesome (but reachable) advanced bodyweight stuff and for motivation.

There's also a group on MFP for progressive bodyweight folks.

(bodyweight and yoga enthusiast)
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for nerdfitness info. :smile:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    No dead horse here -

Here's the good news - nobody needs to lift weights to maintain existing muscle mass and build on existing strength.

Start out with push-ups, bodyweight squats and a variation of chin-ups or pull-ups depending on how strong you currently are.

Aim for several sets of around 5-8 reps for each exercise if it is strength you are looking to build. Look at You Are Your Own Gym and Body By You for excellent programmes and a guy on You Tube called Al Kavadlo for awesome (but reachable) advanced bodyweight stuff and for motivation.

I approve of this bodyweight/yoga-centric post on this particular thread.

:flowerforyou:
  • blackmax78
    blackmax78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    a gallon jug of water is 8 lbs... ez handle too.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    No dead horse here -

^This.

Convict Conditioning is good as well.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises. Google "you are your own gym". Look up the nerdfitness website. There's a lot you can do with bodyweight alone. Since the "jiggle" is fat, what you really need to do is just keep losing the fat, for which you just need to eat at a calorie deficit. Doing some resistance training though will help you hold onto your lean mass and give you more of that "toned" look once you lose the fat. If you like the results, you may be tempted to move onto weights, but that will give you some time to save up for some. When you get to that point, check out ebay, local small adverts, Craigslist etc for good deals.

^ All of this.
  • hofi2010
    Options
    Again all of the above, but something not mentioned here so far is the frequency. Try to exercise with your body weight 3-4 times a week for about 45-60 mins, like the length of a gym class. Less is ok as well, but you will get faster results with a more vigorous workout routine.
  • ogiesmom
    ogiesmom Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use resistance bands, but these are great ideas to change things up.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Another vote for resistance bands. I even bring one to work and use it when I'm bored. Check out Craigslist also, sometimes ya find weights super cheap.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm ascared of resistance bands. Mostly due to 4th grade.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to is in the hospital (I work there, but it isn't mandatory to be an employee to be a member). Some of the workers at the gym are volunteers; they generally work 4 hour shifts. Almost all of the workers work out during their shift. Call around, see if you could volunteer twice a week in exchange for a free membership.
  • yogicarl
    Options

thank you Jofjltncb6. I appreciate your approval
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    You can get cheap yoga mats and weights at TJMaxx. My husband has used the same 2 bottles of tonic water for years to train with. They are nice and skinny and just the right wt. he just stores them in the pantry
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

thank you Jofjltncb6. I appreciate your approval

I knew that would mean a lot to you and was foremost in your mind when you posted that.

To make it official, here's a picture of a rubber stamp of approval:

approved1.jpg
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Some great tips here! Need to mark this for later, lol.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    Convict Conditioning is good as well.

CC is a good programme if you aim is bodyweight stamina as opposed to pure strength as the reps are quite high in the sets , but it is a good workout.

Also - just want to mention resistance bands can be used as ASSISTANCE bands - like in slinging a resistance band over your pull-up bar and either step or drop your knee into the bottom of the sling to take up some of your bodyweight if you still cannot do unassisted pull-ups or chin-ups. Works for dips as well - sling across the dip bars or whatever you are using and drop your knees into the sling to take some weight off.

I invested in a couple of Crossfit slings for this - a bit more expensive but more robust and less likely to explode out under load like the cheaper sets.
  • MINIRunner
    MINIRunner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bands are an awesome suggestion.

I would also suggest getting a skipping rope. GREAT cardio. Do you live in a high-rise? The stairs are plenty and free.

I would also suggest checking out a used sporting goods place/Good Will/Value Village (I am Canadian, so I don't know the US equivalents-sorry) as many people will get rid of basic dumb bell sets. Garage sales are also a great source of gently used equipment.

If you get dumb bells, don't waste your money on super light ones, unless you have some sort of shoulder injury. I would suggest getting a set of 8, 10 and 15# dumb bells if you can afford it. Those will do you well for a long time.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I got a bar and multiple plates at a garage sale for $20
  • WSG88
    WSG88 Posts: 13
    Options
    Good news all! Hubby surprised me last night and bought me a nice set of resistance bands from Amazon :bigsmile: and we have a treadmill for cardio, so I will be doing cardio 2x a week and strength 3x a week.Does that sound decent? You are all awesome, there are some great suggestions in this thread and I thank you all for taking the time to give me suggestions!