Juicing... Your thoughts!

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How are you planning on getting enough protein, fats and fiber?

This would be my question as well.

To the person above who mentioned that vegans do it-- yes, vegans can get enough of these nutrients. However, they don't do it with juice only.
    All juicing does is remove the fiber. The nutrients remain. The protein in the plants doesn't get left behind. There are plants with fat, too. Nuts, seeds, avocados, coconut, olives, etc. are full of fat. Though eating a low fat, low fiber diet for one week would have little effect on anyone. Eating nothing for one week would have little effect on anyone. When you're sick, the body often loses its appetite, to use that energy for recovery instead. We're adapted to store nutrients so we don't have to eat constantly. The body can also synthesize most nutrients within itself, from other amino acids.

This place is incredibly alarmist.

Right but it takes careful planning to make sure you're getting your body's requirements. Asking what the OP's plan is isn't being alarmist.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Juice makes for a yummy beverage to mix into my protein drink! :drinker:
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I just got a NutriBullet and I love it! One tip in the book it comes with is to add some sort of nuts or seeds to help with hunger control... hope that helps some!
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    Juicing is a terrible idea. It ruined A-rod's legacy!
  • hitstuff
    hitstuff Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I, for one, received a beautiful juicer from my hubby for Xmas and plan to make good use of it in January. I have no intentions of juicing exclusively- I like to chew my food as well. And as a previous poster stated, I think it's a good tool to cause a shift in thinking and that is precisely what I feel I can benefit from at this point. I, like many others, am starting 2014 with a new commitment to health and weightloss/maintenance. I view the juicer as yet another addition to my arsenal (lord knows we can use all the help we can get...lol), to help kickstart my efforts for the new year. Keep it interesting...transfer some of the leavings to soups and muffins. I enjoy the juice of some veggies and fruits that I normally don't even eat! Op....juice away! Let your body decide what works for you. I see no harm in a fast of sorts (perhaps not quite a week as suggested earlier) including an array of juiced fruits and veg. If it doesn't do what you hoped, you risk having ingested an array of fruits and veg in liquid form...is that a risk you're willing to take? :wink: :drinker:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

To the person above who mentioned that vegans do it-- yes, vegans can get enough of these nutrients. However, they don't do it with juice only.
    All juicing does is remove the fiber. The nutrients remain. The protein in the plants doesn't get left behind. There are plants with fat, too. Nuts, seeds, avocados, coconut, olives, etc. are full of fat. Though eating a low fat, low fiber diet for one week would have little effect on anyone. Eating nothing for one week would have little effect on anyone. When you're sick, the body often loses its appetite, to use that energy for recovery instead. We're adapted to store nutrients so we don't have to eat constantly. The body can also synthesize most nutrients within itself, from other amino acids.

Right but it takes careful planning to make sure you're getting your body's requirements. Asking what the OP's plan is isn't being alarmist.

I was referring more to the claims that juicing for a week was dangerous. Though I do wonder how people who micromanage their macros and calorie levels think the species survived this long without that supposedly necessary careful planning, or how the animal kingdom does it. A very tiny fraction of beings track and yet the only malnutrition we see is in populations without easy access to a variety of foods.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I was referring more to the claims that juicing for a week was dangerous. Though I do wonder how people who micromanage their macros and calorie levels think the species survived this long without that supposedly necessary careful planning, or how the animal kingdom does it. A very tiny fraction of beings track and yet the only malnutrition we see is in populations without easy access to a variety of foods.

Survival =/= optimal or beneficial.
  • Mherring7654
    Mherring7654 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    By Juicing all you're really doing is starving your body of other nutrients. The weight lost, at least in my opinion, isn't any sign of real progress.

Sensible intake of fruits and veggies, as part of a balanced diet seems a much more sensible course of action, imo.

I'd think juicing would be a great way to get some additional nutrition in place of other beverages, or store bought Juices, but hardly a diet plan in and of itself.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Why not eat the whole fruit or veggie and get the fiber as well as all the nutrients?

I agree with this. The fiber is really good for you!
  • WestCoastPaleo
    Options
    I juice and I love it. I bought my juicer 6 months ago and daily juices quickly became part of my daily routine. My inspiration for juicing came from the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. If you would like to check out his website you can go here: http://www.rebootwithjoe.com . You can control the sugar content by using more low glycemic vegetables (e.g. avoid sugary fruits and veggies like apple, beets, and carrots). If you go to the Food tab in myfitnesspal you can create a recipe and estimate the proportions of each veggie/fruit in your juice. This will give you a rough idea of the nutritional content of your juice.

On a personal note, I haven't attempted a juicing fast. I prefer to make gentle, life-long changes to my lifestyle that I can sustain without guilt. If you do want to do a juicing fast, I suggest that you listen to your body while you're doing the fasting and alert a medical practitioner if you have any concerns. If you have any existing medical conditions then I strongly urge that you do the juicing fast under the supervision of a medical practitioner.
  • kittymeowrundforfun89
    Options
    I started juicing in September of 2013 for dietary reasons. I have a very bad issue with textures in certain foods (yes, I am weird) so juicing has helped. It is really up to the person whether they want to juice fast or not. I do not think is is the greatest thing to do all the time, but it really can help if your looking to consume more yummy green stuff.

On a funny note my partner gets excited when I drag out the "beast" (juicer). He begs for a glass of the yummy green stuff all the time. Hey, I would rather him drink a nice full glass of weird green juice than sugary drinks or soda.

I also use the left over pulp to make vege burgers so nothing goes to waste.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I adore juice detoxes. I do a 21 day Juice Feast every year right before the spring equinox. It will clean you out, reboot your body and make you feel really good. But as far as weight loss goes, unless you plan to only ever drink juice again it's a temporary fix. You will gain back the weight you lost once you return to eating solid food
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Lol i thought this post was about roids.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    just create a calorie deficit and eat real food…

what exactly are you detoxing that your body does not naturally?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I adore juice detoxes. I do a 21 day Juice Feast every year right before the spring equinox. It will clean you out, reboot your body and make you feel really good. But as far as weight loss goes, unless you plan to only ever drink juice again it's a temporary fix. You will gain back the weight you lost once you return to eating solid food

LOLZZZZZZZ
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I like my nutri bullet, so much better then a juicer,I get everything out of it.I am not using it as a diet, just to get the extra nutrition I need.
  • ndj1979
    Options
  • ndj1979
    Options
    In...

...to find out which toxins are being eliminated in this detox that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while still eating food.

You don't have to name all of them...just one. Please, OP, just give the name of *ONE* toxin. Thanks in advance. :flowerforyou:

and the search continues….
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    My thoughts:

-you don't need to "detox" (I'm assuming you're not talking about detoxing from drugs or alcohol). Your liver, kidneys, lungs and skin do a great job of that already. It's east to be tempted by the idea, especially after a period of excess, like Christmas is for a lot of people. It really is just a gimmick though. Want to start eating better? Start eating better. Start adding more of the foods you want to add, and reducing the foods you want to reduce. It doesn't have to be so extreme.
    -you get a lot of nutrients in juice, concentrated into a small volume - it's definitely easier to drink a few glasses of juice than to eat all the fruit that goes into it. However, you're cutting out a lot of the fibre, which is also good for you. If you have issues with blood sugar, you could have problems with only consuming sugary juice (even just the "natural" sugars from fruit) without the fibre that goes along with it.
    -on a juice only diet, you're missing out on a lot of other essential nutrients (protein, fat, fibre). People seem to focus on all the micronutrients you get from juicing, and disregard the marconutrients your body needs.
    -it's hard to stick with a diet that's a) so restrictive and b) is only liquids. For some people, that could cause problems with binge eating afterwards.
    -thinking of eating as "cheating" is never a good idea.

So, basically, I think eating more fruit and vegetables is good. Supplementing your diet with fresh fruit juices is fine (assuming no issues with consuming a lot of sugar). Consuming only juice for a period of time is not only unnecessary, but could do more harm than good.

This.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    In...

...to find out which toxins are being eliminated in this detox that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while still eating food.

You don't have to name all of them...just one. Please, OP, just give the name of *ONE* toxin. Thanks in advance. :flowerforyou:

and the search continues….

I'm guessing some amount of lean muscle would be eliminated on a juice-only diet. :ohwell: