week 2 (of 18) of Higdon's Intermediate 1 & lifting

Options
I'm on week 2 of Hal Higdon's intermediate plan for the marathon.

Monday's cross training day = lifting
& then I will lift again on thursday's short run day.

I'm looking forward to maintaining muscle, continuing to lose 20-40 more lbs, and dominating the race.

MAY 4!

I welcome friendly advice - and likeminded friend adds!

Replies

• purple180
    purple180 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your upcoming race. I have heard great things about Higdon's training method. My goal is to do a half in 2014. Have you completed a half yet? Congrats on your weight loss as well.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    thank you!!

Yes, actually I was already signed up for a half in March which will now fit nicely into my training schedule without causing disruption.

I ran a 10 mile race just last month and did fine, so I think I'm starting a little ahead of the curve - except for the extra weight.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    EDIT: going with intermediate II.
  • LauraBee96
    LauraBee96 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've never done any lifting during my race training. Mentally I tell myself that's hard enough to fit in the time for all the running, let alone cross training/weight lifting. I know it's hurting me in the end though. Let me know how it goes for you. This could be the push I need if I hear some anecdotal advice!

I've been happy with the way my abs are shaping though with just running. Turns out we use our core more than we think! :)
  • dandj13
    dandj13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! Doing my 1st half May 4th and just started my training plan today- 1st day of strength. I havent drummed up the courage yet to do free weights but did the weight machines this morning- legs and abs. I usually stick to running or some cross training with other cardio machines. I was SO bored this morning on the weight machines but know how important it is and how it will improve my running overall. Good luck with your training!