is it physically possible to get from FAT to FIT?

Options
What do you all think? Do you think if you have gained weight that it possible to get perfectly toned afterwards?

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is physically possible. And that's a fact. Just because you had a lot of fat and was out of shape doesn't mean that your body is somehow damaged and can not get more fit or build muscle to look toned. If person was too fat then some surgery to remove loose skin might be needed, cos you won't look fit and toned with bunch of loose skin. But otherwise it is possible for sure.

I was 40 pound overweight and now I am skinny guy with abs. After couple more years, I will have as much muscle as fitness model, that's my goal. Of course 40 pounds overweight is not that much, there are people who are 150 pounds overweight. But the only difference, like I said, would be surgery to remove loose skin, to look toned.

So yes, definitely physically possible. But very hard mentally cos it takes a lot of work. That's why not so many people get fit from fat. Not because they body can't do it but because it's too hard mentally. Been there myself.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This is one that needs some terms defined. Perfectly toned means exactly what to you?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    No. Not possible at all. The Success Stories section is full of lies.

lies.

Of course it's possible, though I don't know about the 'toned' part... not sure what you mean there.

If you mean people can go from a high body fat percentage to a lower one, with plenty of muscle definition and generally look awesome.... then yes, this is possible. Have you looked through the success stories section?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    This is one that needs some terms defined. Perfectly toned means exactly what to you?

I'd like to know as well. I'm not looking for perfection because it doesn't exist.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    No.

Give up now.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's the mental part that some people have trouble with.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I've seen it over and over again...people who never thought they'd have muscles and abs and by every definition were "obese" before. I completely agree with the above person who said it's the mental part some have trouble with.
  • Ilb320
    Ilb320 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    There is book called Fit to Fat to Fit. It's by a personal trainer named Drew Manning. He put on 60lbs to find out how it was for his clients to lose the weight. So far it's not bad.
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    No, it's not. If you're fat, you should just give up.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    What do you all think? Do you think if you have gained weight that it possible to get perfectly toned afterwards?

"Perfectly toned" means different things to different people.
    It depends on the person, their age / weight loss amount / skin, etc. whether or not they will end up looking like a fitness model.

As for me, I'm pretty toned. After 10 - 15 more lbs, I'll probably look pretty close to my ideal.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yes it totally is possible, seen it done, and I used to be obese, and now I'm fit.

actually I recently saw a video of myself right after having my 2nd baby, and that was after being barely able to walk in pregnancy due to severe SPD, then having a c-section. I could barely move and I was like a huge blimp, in fact I'd forgotten just how fat i was (albeit that some of the fatness was because of my uterus not having gone back to its usual size, but that didn't explain the fatness in my face, arms, legs etc)

anyway, point is these days I'm really fit and I'm right back to a healthy body fat percentage, so totally yes it absolutely can be done :drinker: just be patient and focus on long term maintenance and remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint, so be patient and remember you don't have to be perfect, you just have to eat less than you burn off and increase your strength and fitness levels bit by bit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm confused - fat and fit are not opposites. You can be fat & fit at the same time (I was!!).

Do you mean can you get from being fat to being lean?
    In which case the answer is yes - there's loads of examples of people who have done exactly that on here.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I've done it several times over with clients. If it weren't possible, then I should be looking for a different line of work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    No. Just give up.
  • EmElite14
    Options
    Jeez there are a lot of rude people on this post picking fault with wording and such................any need?

Simply just after a bit of motivation that it is possible to achieve...................we all know what toned means don't we? I am not sure I understand some of the difficulties people are proclaiming to have with the phrase. 'Perfectly' was just used as a descriptive term, maybe not the right one but to be honest I thought we were all here to do well and be positive, I didn't expect for it to be jumped on!!

Thanks to all the people who replied nicely, I am not 100s of pounds overweight, I think I would like to lose around 50pounds, I just wonder if ive done too much damage to my body to ever be totally slim and toned
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Check out ... www.fit2fat2fit.com Drew Manning did it ... in amazing style. He is a personal trainer though ... but his story is amazing and this is one of my favorite sites for fitness ideas.
  • EmElite14
    Options
    Check out ... www.fit2fat2fit.com Drew Manning did it ... in amazing style. He is a personal trainer though ... but his story is amazing and this is one of my favorite sites for fitness ideas.

Thank you very much :)
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Of course it's possible. Last year I was over 5olbs heavier and had a glucose number in the pre-diabetic range. Now I'm maintaining and am in a totally different place. My profile picture was taken last month- there is no such thing as a perfect body, but I'm very happy with how I look and feel now (I've also had three kids, so go me lol).
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the people who replied nicely, I am not 100s of pounds overweight, I think I would like to lose around 50pounds, I just wonder if ive done too much damage to my body to ever be totally slim and toned

You can definitely lose the weight and with some exercise your body will look ten times better than it does now for sure. I gained a lot during my pregnancies, way more than necessary, and while I'm not going to have a flat super sexy belly with no stretch marks ever again, it's looking pretty good given it's "before state". I have really bad stretch marks all over my lower tummy area, and a bit of loose skin, and the stretch marks still look the same(obviously) but the skin has gotten a bit better, I was really afraid that it would get worse as I lost weight. My hubby keeps trying to tell me it could possibly snap back, but I am not putting stock in that. Still, I'll take my body now ANY day over what it was like about 30 pounds ago(still have about 15-20 pounds to go).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!