pita7317
pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
Low cal but decent tasting.
Ideas ? Thanks.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Anything is low calorie if you only eat a bit of it.

I made a great one yesterday - about 200g red capsicum, grilled til the skin turned black. Remove the skin and discard, whizz the flesh with about 1T nut butter (I used walnut, almond or cashew would be good too), herbs and spices to taste (I used fresh garlic, dried Italian herb mix, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper)
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Roast an eggplant and puree it (not too thin). You can add garlic or whatever other seasoning you might like.

Hidden valley ranch dips (they also have fiesta, dill and bacon). I mix it with 3/4 greek yogurt and 1/4 sour cream. Yummy dip for veggies.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with herbs and such.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I purchased the low fat french onion dip (in the dairy).
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    green pea "guacamole" instead of using avocado use green peas for your quac...easssy (you can add a little bit of avocado if you want though)
    homemade roasted garlic hummus ( chickpeas,bulb roasted garlic,couple tblspoons tanini,lemon juice/vinegar,artichokes even)
    vegan sour cream mixed with veggie soup or onion soup mix
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Good idea cutting the avocado with green peas! That's great for 2 reason, calories and cost. I make homemade ranch dressing and it ends up being 35 calories a tablespoon with lots of REAL flavor. Lite ranch has compareable calories but I hate whatever they use to make it lite. The recipe is called spicy ranch dressing. I use plain milk instead of buttermilk, and add 1/4 cup of pamesan cheese. White pepper is a must as is the lime juice. I don't use cayenne pepper because then its too hot for my kids. I substitute a lot of dried herbs instead of fresh because of the cost. Its a great calorie saver and cheaper than hidden valleys mix.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Fat free Greek yogurt mixed with salsa or one of those Hidden Valley dry mixes (or both!) is pretty good.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I make a layered hummus dip:

hummus
    kalamata olives
    sundried tomatoes
    cucumbers
    add feta if you like cheese
    and chopped fresh dill.

I eat it with cucumber or squash slices and it's really good!
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great ideas !
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Check skinnytaste, I know they posted a spinach dip recipe a couple days ago.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    back for more ideas.......
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    salsa.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Whiz up some smoked fish(tuna,trout,salmon) with some low fat cream cheese and spread on celery or cukes. Major yummy and rich so you only need a small portion
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    A steamed beetroot with a splash of balsamic vinegar and a small square of feta cheese. Really nice if you like beetroot, if you don't like beetroot maybe skip it :wink:
    A small tin pureed with a clove of garlic, a small amount of water, a stick of celery and half a carrot. You could use any veggies for a different flavor :smile:
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Low cal and some protein: greek yogurt, mustard and tumeric. I'm not certain everyone loves it but I do:)
    You could add any mix to greek yogurt: Ranch, tex mex etc.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    Ranch Dressing

1 large container of plain fat free yogurt
    1 envelope of hidden valley ranch dressing

Mix well, serve cold

Other mixes/exchanges. Since Greek yogurt is insanely popular, I've made this with the Greek stuff and it's good too. :)
    You can also use French Onion soup mix, Fiesta Dip Mix, and probably any other seasoning pack.

This tastes great with veggies, chips, and baked potato.
  • jenifo11
    jenifo11 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite for dipping veggies in:

Black bean dip

1 19-ounce or 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
    1/2 cup prepared salsa, hot or mild
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste

Combine black beans, salsa, lime juice, cilantro and cumin in a food processor. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
  • barb106
    barb106 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks!