Did you over indulge this year? Come in!....

Options
This year I went MAD. I mean, crazy. I decided on Xmas eve to have a drink. It resulted in 1000 calories worth of cider, on top of maintenance ( 2000 cals ) which I just started eating at in early December.

Christmas day was even worse, about 1500 over maintenance. I assumed all year after Christmay day I'd go back to normal. Boxing day was a terrible day for sweet craving and I thought " Well, Ive started now might aswell enjoy the week! "

This has lead to me and my flatmate drinking and eating crisps and sweets to a disgusting point. Never in my life have I eaten like this. I do not want to see another packet of crisps for at least a few months.

I have been logging everything, but haven't weighed. I have easily went about 8000 calories over maintenance since the 24th and although I am completely disgusted, in a frenzy and upset....I know it can be sorted. So I need to remain calm and start again today, which I have.

I know realise HOW people end up binging!! I never understood it before. I have a " Letting go " day at least once every few weeks. Usually a night out or a reward. But never have I EVER felt the need to keep going after that one day. In fact I make up for it for days after and always end up below target. And its always been easy!

The plan is to get back on the horse. I think after taking into account water and glycogen, I have most likely gained 6-7lbs. I can physically see a huge difference as I'm so small, so Im not going near those scales till the 1st of February or I'll cry!

So! Anyone else on the same boat, or even had just a couple of bad days? Go on, make me feel a little better. I've been such a good girl and logged in for 175 days in a row. This weight will be gone by February 1st ! ( remember Im counting water weight so Im sure it can be done! )

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I had seven "bad days" if you want to call them that. I went way over on calories each day, and gained about 2.5 pounds. But you know what's good to have during this time of year? Perspective. To me, it's just water off a duck's back because I know what to do to get back on track and all it takes is a conscious decision to do so. I enjoyed time with my family, and I didn't resist or feel guilty about anything.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I had seven "bad days" if you want to call them that. I went way over on calories each day, and gained about 2.5 pounds. But you know what's good to have during this time of year? Perspective. To me, it's just water off a duck's back because I know what to do to get back on track and all it takes is a conscious decision to do so. I enjoyed time with my family, and I didn't resist or feel guilty about anything.

Well done, you! I felt great about it until last night with my sisters. I finished a whole packet of chips and dip ( large packet ) and then ate 2 slices of pizza, had 3 drinks, a cake, a chicken leg...ALL within 2 hours. I felt ill and upset with myself as that really was a pointless binge. I wasnt that hungry.

It actually resulted in a bit of an argument between the three of us about my calorie " obsession " . Which is how others see it. So yeah, after 6 days, my over indulgence finally had me feeling terrible and I stopped there.

Edit to say: All of that food was AFTER dinner. haha
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I was like a fat kid in a candy store. You were liable to loose fingers around me this past week if you touched something I had my eye on.

I have no regrets though. Good food, drink, and family. It was a nice break but now it is time to get back to work. Last of the awesome leftovers were thrown out yesterday.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Oh Gee, I am so with you. I totally blew it the last couple of weeks! I started the week before Christmas when I didn't feel well with a cold, and blew off exercising. Then I was too busy, shopping, wrapping, entertaining, then all the baking and cooking for family and friends. I kept telling myself that I would feel a lot better about all the eating if I worked out, but I just never did. I will next year though!
    Here I am on Monday, logging into MFP for the first time in weeks. It took a lot to honestly update my weight and put back the 8 pounds I had previously lost. Tonight, back to jazzercise where I am sure I will catch hell from my instructor, but I need it!
  • Jericha1992
    Jericha1992 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You were brave enough to count the calories you were inhaling? You're braver than me. I haven't logged for most of December, and I REALLY went overboard for the few days around Christmas. When last I weighed myself a few days before Christmas, I was 204. After, I hit 209! Next morning I was 207, then 204, and I hit 203 today (after just 2 days of being back on track). I don't think you did as much damage as you think. It's just time to get back on track!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your holiday! I really don't have any regrets.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this too, although I've managed to maintain, but still ate some things I shouldn't have. And it's not over, going out again tonight... ugh. And I just had some chocolates.

So yeah... I guess we got to get rid of everything binge-inducing and go back on track.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The three days around xmas I did about 5500 calories over maintenance. I've already de-deficited it since then, and am straight back on the exercise and controlled portions wagon.

Historically, human feasts (what we now call "binging") lasted more than one day. It seems to me there is a natural 2-3 day over-eating cycle. Instead of fighting it, I go with it, and just make sure to have extra large deficits the week following. But the key is undoubtably getting out of feast-mode and back into smart-eating mode as quickly as possible. Do the 2-3 days, then lock it down.

And remember that feasts are a 2-3 times a year thing, not a monthly thing.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I have like 4 moderately bad days..I logged by I was well over and alot of times could only estimate...the funny thing is...most of the time as I was shoveling the food in I was not so much enjoying it..I was thinking "I should not be doing this" and then I also had moments of "f**k it"...so I am back on track..but I figure tomorrow I will probably indulge..not on alcohol but probably on snackies...but after that..I will be fine..I think I am detoxing from christmas cookies! lol You are not alone and realize that you could have gained ALOT MORE and for that you should be proud...I have yet to assess the damage..too afraid to step on the scale!
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes, I ate terribly, Yes I overindulged, I had chocolate I had cheese I had Pizza, and some alcohol too! But you know it's ok because its only a few days out of the year AND it hits a mental reset with me which makes me want to avoid all bad food for months, so today I'm back on track I didn't log on those days but I next weigh in on Jan 31st, from now till then I'm on damage control and with any luck I'll have managed to rescue the situation. Good news is theres 12 more months till the next one! Plenty of time to eat well and exercise!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Not over Christmas or Thanksgiving, but this past summer? Good god...I was on a 3 month diet hiatus. But then I got my head straight and got back to work.
  • daveymac1
    daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I gained 12 lbs! Beat that! Ugh.....
  • driii123
    driii123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yup, sure did. I have gained 5 pounds in a week. I just can't stop when so many good treats are in front of me. Such a weakness :( I was too embarrassed to log everything.
    Worked out today though for the first time in 2 weeks so trying to get myself back on track.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Of course. Was well-behaved for the rest of the year pretty much, though.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I've been eating horribly and have gained back 4 lbs. I feel like absolute hell and am looking forward to eating better. I don't feel any shame about it, though. There's nothing I can do about the past. I just need to get back on my feet and move forward.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you have to have times like this. Because for all of us, this is a lifetime commitment. Now, if I live to be at least as old as my mother, who died fairly young, that gives me twenty more years. There is no way I will forego treats for the next twenty years. I am just being realistic here! So we all have to take a step back, forgive our indiscretions, and move on! Just go back to being sensible again. And it helps to have some supportive people around. Sometimes that may mean your MFP pals!

You can do this!
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes,I'm in the same boat. TOOOO much fudge, cookies, candy, cakes, oh and don't forget the big holiday dinners, so Yes, I know what you are all talking about.. Time to buckle back down.....
  • ewarlow
    ewarlow Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I sure did... Christmas day through to Saturday, ate whatever I pleased.

Yesterday was back on track and as of this morning Im up 4-5 pounds.

Ah well!

I know easy come easy go
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It is not so much the calories for me - believe me, I did plenty of damage in that area...it is the overstuffed, can't stop myself until I am physically uncomfortable eating that bothers me. And what it does to my stomach (I SWEAR it gets stretched out and can hold more and WANTS more) and my appetite. I AM HUNGRY. IWANTMORE.
    The food this holiday has been over the top! Even my 12 year old, who made dinner last night, hit it out of the park. Oh, for sh*tty dinners...
  • Wpatart
    Wpatart Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just went mad last night & consumed 2050 calories of Dove Chocolates, yes I logged it all, I feel so miserable:sad:
    This is on top of the 3 days last week when I binged insanely on cookies, over 2000 calories each time!
    I feel like I am undoing all of the hard work I put in.
    I know I will get back on the horse and continue my healthy eating & exercise program, but I really do feel like a failure right now.
    Such an unpleasant feeling.
    Even more scary to me is the fact that I actually considered purging (throwing up) all of the chocolate I ate last night. I had to tell myself, convince myself, repeatedly that I will NEVER do that, I do NOT want to develop any eating disorder. But I'm really scared that I even considered it.
    Okay so I ate the chocolate, it is not the end of the world & I will deal with it. This is sooooo much harder than I thought it would be.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    We are all on the same boat darling...
    As for me, I had MANY, MANY, MANY bad days........