lunches at work

Options
keusini
keusini Posts: 2 Member
so I work full time and go to school full time. any recommendations on quick healthy lunches that I can make sunday night that will stay fresh until Friday?

Replies

• CaseyIsTooFat
    CaseyIsTooFat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    do you have a microwave available during lunch breaks?
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I often make a large pot of chicken chili, with lots of veggies or a large pot of veggie soup with chicken and then put it into containers, freeze some and the rest are grab and go all week. To switch it up sometimes I'll throw in an extra seasoning or some shredded cheese, a pinch of fresh herbs or handful of fresh spinach…just before I nuke it at lunch. It also saves me when I'm running the kids around with appointments and sports after work.

Another thing, cut up a ton of veggies that you love to eat raw and put them into separate containers. If you're a salad lover, only make 2 containers of the whole salad. They only last about 2 days when they're all mixed. You can put your lettuces in containers for the 5 days, and each night just toss in the few other items you want to add. Boil some eggs over the weekend and peel them ahead of time. They'll stay in a ziploc or container for a week. Another grab and go.

Premeasure out some nuts or other snacks that you eat/like, even cheeses. Makes it really easy when you're too tired or too busy, or just don't want to be bothered in the kitchen.

Hope these ideas help. Add me if you feel you want more tips or specific recipes.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I would make stuff you can freeze, or make it more often...I don't think anything will last a whole week.

I have salad every day for lunch, and make up to 3 days in advance. Longer than 3 days and it starts to go yucky...
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    On days that I need to pack a quick lunch ...boiled eggs (boil them the night before and mix with a tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt) add a cracker *Ryvta is the best in my opinion - and some cukes or other cut up veg... hummus works well... also nuts (almonds are the best) and also one of those small flavoured tuna cans that you don't need an opener for (put in a bowl with lettuce and that's it!). Hope these ideas help. I get bored of eating the same thing over and over so the making one big pot of soup or chili doesn't work for me.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yeah…sometimes I don't like for repeating either, but that's when I switch it up. Otherwise, for time's sake and staying on track, I'll do the repeats. If nothing else, the big pots of things get split up into freezable containers, so I don't have to make it too often. But, I hear ya on the variety.
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I make a pot of soup every Sunday and portion it out into individual containers. Half get frozen and the other half eat during the week. The rest of the days I will pull a container of soup out of the freezer the night before and have it for lunch the next day. That way I get a variety without having to do a lot of extra work. I have about 5 soups in my rotation right now, but I have been trying a lot more this winter. The frozen soup is also nice to have as a go to if I do not feel like cooking at night.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Mostly for lunches I just throw a sandwich together real quick in the morning. It doesn't take any time - just get out a wrap or a couple slices of bread, slap on whatever sliced meat and cheese you like, add a handful of lettuce, close it up and shove it in a bag. Add a couple pieces of fruit and you're done.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I bring my lunch most days it consist of a lot of sandwiches, salads, wraps, and soup.
  • Matt24442
    Options
    I bring my lunch most days it consist of a lot of sandwiches, salads, wraps, and soup.

I wish I worked with you if youre buying for everybody else too
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Google "Mason Jar lunches" and your world will change.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I buy whole grain "thin wich" bread rounds (90 cals) and put a slice of reduced fat cheese (50 cals) and 3 oz of boar's head deli turkey (90 cals) and wrap it in foil. I nuke it at work, and have it with an apple or other fruit, or cottage cheese. Since there are no condiments, the bread doesn't get soggy, and I've kept them in the fridge for up to 4 days. Nuking makes them warm & gooey so it doesn't need condiments. Not bad for 230 cals total, really satisfying, and easy :)
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I make a large crockpot of soup on Sunday an eat that during the week. Or I just make a quick sandwich the night before. If you have time to make dinner every night then leftovers is always easy!
    ETA: Mason jar salads work too!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I buy a bag of spinach, a container of strawberries, a bag of nuts (like honey roasted sliced almonds), a container of goat cheese, two types of dressing, a package of chicken breasts, and then canned soup. I roast the chicken breasts and cut them up or shred them and use them on the strawberry spinach salads all week and throw in a can of veggie soup in if I'm still hungry. I also like to make a big batch of mexican rice and throw a can of black beans in it and eat that for a few days.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I usually bring leftovers. I package them into single-serve gladware containers when I'm putting them away after dinner, so I can just grab them and throw them in my lunch bag. I generally cook extra several times a week so I know I'll have stuff for work lunches.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a salad almost daily for lunch. Will change the protein in it - sometimes I grill chicken (even in winter), or will add deli turkey or sometimes even steak! I measure every ounce of dressing (I love vinaigrette's)! It is always good. Always delicious. Always healthy. Always controllable. Always easy. :)