Carb Backloading

Options
AnsiStar
AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
My friend recommended a book to me which he said was all that got rid of his leftover body fat.

The book is Carb Backloading by DH Kiefer. I thought it sounded like a great idea so I gave it a read. Or I started to at least. When I got to skipping breakfast (it was so hard to teach myself to eat in the morning now I can't function without it!) and then I noticed that he wrote the book aimed at men and it might not have the same of women.

So with that all being said I don't think it's something I'll be trying. But what are people's thoughts on this book? Has anyone read it? Has anyone tried it?

Is there anything similar I could try?

Replies

• JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    This is actually VERY effective for a lot of women that I know.

With anything, I say that you should give it a try and see if it works for YOU. You may enjoy it or you may not... but at least you'll know.
  • AnsiStar
    Options
    Hi Joss,

I only work out 3x a week so it might be difficult to do for me. I've onlyt just raised my calories to over 1000 after a huge struggle but at the gym I do a little cardio and then weight work. 4x a week I have an ab routine too. I can feel my stomach is strong but there's still that bit of fat on top. My posture's awful too, I have that lower back curve that makes you look pregnant :/

My carb intake is pretty low anyway but I'm not sure I could keep it up quite to the extent the diet demands. Do you know anyone it's worked on?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Carb backloading works, the same as many other strategies that control your overall intake will work also.

I look at it the same way as intermittent fasting , if it fits in with your lifestyle then fine go ahead but it's not going to be holy grail of dieting that gives you 5 times better results than another method.
  • AnsiStar
    Options
    I really don't know whether to try it or not. It takes a while to build up to the eating carbs after workout and I don't know if I could go without my morning porridge, lame as it sounds
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older thread but I have been doing CBL for about 5 weeks now and I got PHENOMENAL results.

I was on a plateau for about 5 months (same weight at 152, even got body fat checked and everything/measurements stayed the same). I didnt think it was going to work but I was very happy and am continuing it for another month.

I actually have my measurements/results and stuff on my profile if you care to add me as a friend. I went from 28.5% to 24.6%. I ate about 300-400 cals more on average on this diet (from 1500 to about 17/1800) and actually spent way less time in the gym because I ditched the steady state cardio, and took up HIIT sprinting and lifted heavier.

I mean I could attribute my success also to just tightening up my diet and really shocking my system with the heavy weight training (Olympic lifting and resistance training) . Whether it was 100% because I ate my carbs post workout I dont know. It DOES work. I didnt lose ANY muscle through this method either.
  • AnsiStar
    Options
    I know this is an older thread but I have been doing CBL for about 5 weeks now and I got PHENOMENAL results.

I was on a plateau for about 5 months (same weight at 152, even got body fat checked and everything/measurements stayed the same). I didnt think it was going to work but I was very happy and am continuing it for another month.

I actually have my measurements/results and stuff on my profile if you care to add me as a friend. I went from 28.5% to 24.6%. I ate about 300-400 cals more on average on this diet (from 1500 to about 17/1800) and actually spent way less time in the gym because I ditched the steady state cardio, and took up HIIT sprinting and lifted heavier.

I mean I could attribute my success also to just tightening up my diet and really shocking my system with the heavy weight training (Olympic lifting and resistance training) . Whether it was 100% because I ate my carbs post workout I dont know. It DOES work. I didnt lose ANY muscle through this method either.

Hey can I pm you to discuss further??
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I just started CBL. Good to hear of success. It is weird for me as I have been low carb for 18 months even on lift days. Now I have to carb load after I lift. And it is fast carbs which I never ate before. I had a BLT, potato chips and a chocolate malt for dinner. Totally freaks me out but I am willing to give this a go for a while and see if my lifts improve and I gain some muscle mass.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    There are actual numerous studies that suggest women should train and eat no differently than men. Go for it!
  • batguy21784
    batguy21784 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey, all. I'd like to try Carb Backloading, but I'd really prefer to have a community around me to discuss what does and doesn't work. Is there a way to start a forum on MFP? Anyone have interest in starting a forum for CBL? Thanks
  • batguy21784
    batguy21784 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For anyone interested, I'm starting a blog on this. Please come and join in on the discussion. Doing this alone sucks.
  • glpro76
    Options
    how is your carb loading going?