Anyone Lose Very Slowly

I have been logging forever and yes, I lose weight, but it seems to happen so slowly. I even hired a nutritionist to help. It's very difficult to watch others eat more freely and still lose quicker. I'm happy for them, but I would like to keep up. It makes it hard for me to stay focused and stick to my routine while I watch others zip by me. Anyone lose really slowly? How do you cope?

Replies

• GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    So far I've seen lots of people lose much quicker than I did and of those half of them have gained 1/3 or more of it back after goal. When you figure how many here yo-yo and/or quit, it's not about how fast you lose it but about losing it and keeping it off. Hang in there!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    So far I've seen lots of people lose much quicker than I did and of those half of them have gained 1/3 or more of it back after goal. When you figure how many here yo-yo and/or quit, it's not about how fast you lose it but about losing it and keeping it off. Hang in there!

^^^ This.

I reached my goal on Dec. 17, but it took me 15 months to get there. I deliberately set the bar low, with a half-pound loss goal per week (I actually averaged three-quarters). That is helping me during maintenance, because all I've had to do was slightly increase my calories. Otherwise, my good habits stick with me.

My longest plateau was 48 days, where my scale was going up-down-up-down-up-down (I weigh myself daily). I might have felt impatient, but I never got discouraged. I knew I was doing the right things, and I kept telling myself, "You're in much better shape now than when you started."

Also, it's natural for weight loss to slow as one gets closer to goal. Here's what my cumulative weight loss looked like. I logged only decreases in weight, so the fluctuations don't appear here:
    11418160225_0f0e69f3e1_o.jpg
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Slow and steady win the race. :flowerforyou:
    I won't lose anything for a month at a time and then suddenly drop a few lbs. It's kind of a pain at times, I eventually just quit weighing myself regularly so I wouldn't get disappointed to see no weight changes. I only weigh myself once or twice a month now.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Thanks all! I know that slow and steady is the way to go. It's nice to know that others do lose slowly. I just would like to have more people along with me on my slow journey.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Yeah, it's no good comparing yourself to others. Also, make sure your expectations are reasonable. It's hard to tell by a picture sometimes and I can't see your ticker as your profile is private but it doesn't look like you have a lot to lose so you may actually be losing just the way you should - see quoted info below.
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Others may lose faster but will they keep it off? I've been at this for four years now and still haven't quite gotten to goal yet. Hope to by this time next year but I realize it may take a little longer than that with life's ups and downs.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    How much are you eating, and how much are you losing per week exactly?

I weight daily and log in an app called Libra. It really helps me to see my trend line instead of focusing just on what the scale says.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    YES I did! It took me 10 months to lose 35lbs (so an average of 3.5lbs per month). Honestly it was the best way for me to do it. I have tried to lose weight many times before but I would restrict myself so much that it wasn't possible to maintain that lifestyle. Things happen. There are birthdays and nights out and holidays and I will slap you if you tell me I can't ever have a piece (or two) of cake ever again! It was still a lot of work, and it continues to be a lot of work to maintain my weight, but slow and steady truly wins the race. I know it's frustrating to see people whiz by you, but don't worry about them. Keep on keepin' on!
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    I lose slowly too, unless I get into a routine that is so restrictive or so much activity that I can't sustain it, and it all comes back on as soon as I slip up. I have decided to just start logging too be aware of my food, but not be too restricted, and go to the gym and focus on getting stronger and building endurance, when it fits into my schedule. I figure that if I lower my expectations, I will put less pressure on myself, and I will be able to maintain it as a lifestyle.
    Might not work for everyone. I am fortunate that I have no weight related health problems, other than occasionally sore knees, and of course being wheezy and clumsy and out of shape, but thats more an embarassment than a real problem. Even my doctors arent too concerned about my weight. I don't even own a scale. I am just going to see if I start feeling better.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    I lose pretty slowly. It is absolutely frustrating, especially when I have done nothing different and i see the scale go UP! But, slowly but surely, it is winding down. Just keep swimming.....
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    First thing, which has already been said, is to not compare yourself to others!!!

Second, if you are only using what the scale reads to track progress, then you are not getting the full picture. It's important to take pictures and measurements, as well. There will be times you may lose inches and not pounds.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    This is why it is so vitally important to collect more data points than just the scale. Use a tape measure and measure all your parts. Get a body fat caliper. Keep track of your exercise (time, distance, weight lifted, etc.). The more data you collect, the more places you will see progress. You will not give a hoot about the scale not moving when you lose a 1/2 inch off your thighs, or drop a cloting size, of set a new personal record lifting. Doing more data collection will allow you to see all the success and help keep you on track.

In one year, I am down "only" 30 pounds, but I can deadlift 235#, I can run a mile (I NEVER run!), and I am down from a 22 to an 18. F*^k the scale.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I lose very slowly. It took me 2 years to lose 70lbs. The first year I wasn't on MFP and I was eating 1200 calories a day, then when I joined MFP and read the forums I decided to increase to 1500 and my weight loss was more effective then. Perhaps if I'd eaten 1500 in the beginning I'd have lost faster. I maintained a loss though, and never gained any, until now as I am pregnant!

I used to have weeks where I'd lose practically nothing, and then all of a sudden I would drop a few pounds. I did lose a lot of inches though, so do make sure you measure yourself as well as weigh yourself.
  • I'm in the same boat. When I saw so many others loosing faster than me, I would get discouraged and do one of those fad diets to speed up the process. Then, a few months later I would gain back everything plus more.

Finally, I told myself that I am doing this the old fashioned way, lower calories, watch the sugar and sodium intake, exercise more.

The weight still comes off slow, but the inches are melting away. Everyone's body is different and has different needs.

Also, celeberate the NVS ( non victory success). Meaning everytime you make a life style change, or a healthy decision for the day; celebrate ! EX. Eating 2 slices of pizza instead of the usual 4 slices, etc. Also, celebrate losses that aren't pounds. Example: lossing inches, being able to see your ankles, a shirt fitting loser, being to perform a certain exercise, etc.

Joing fitness groups and challenges on this site is a wonderful resource. They help to keep accountabilty and reach goals.

Hopefully this is helpful for you. :flowerforyou:
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    I have been logging forever and yes, I lose weight, but it seems to happen so slowly. I even hired a nutritionist to help. It's very difficult to watch others eat more freely and still lose quicker. I'm happy for them, but I would like to keep up. It makes it hard for me to stay focused and stick to my routine while I watch others zip by me. Anyone lose really slowly? How do you cope?

I have been losing very slowly. Been logging over a year and have only lost about 11 pounds... But then again, I don't have much to lose. Also, my tendency towards midnight snacking (I can't sleep if I am hungry at all) has slowed things down. I stay motivated at this point because ...well, right now as long as I'm not GAINING I'm happy!

Good luck!
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Feel free to add me, if you'd like. I also lose weight slowly, but not by choice. Although I'm not saying it is the entire reason, genetics do play a role, and obesity and slow metabolisms most def run in my family, making me have to work twice as hard to lose what my fast food-eating coworkers can lose in 2 week's time.
    How to cope is the hardest part, because I often do get frustrated, discouraged, and burned out, but as a previous poster said, staying motivated is the solution. If nothing else, recognize that your good eating and exercise habits are benefiting your body from the inside out, which is more important than a number on a scale. Stick to your guns and results will come.
  • I have been logging forever and yes, I lose weight, but it seems to happen so slowly. I even hired a nutritionist to help. It's very difficult to watch others eat more freely and still lose quicker. I'm happy for them, but I would like to keep up. It makes it hard for me to stay focused and stick to my routine while I watch others zip by me. Anyone lose really slowly? How do you cope?

i lose very slow as I am not interested in just losing weight (most of it would be water content)
    I have some food issues- I was diagnosed with athlete's triad many many years ago- and still struggling to make it over 1200 calories a day...If I get as far as 1300 then I am stuffed...then I burn off 600 a day (but most summer days it is around 1000) so I am nowhere near to the big numbers others post

but you know what - that should not matter to you! It is not a race is it? You are in it for yourself so the only person you should compeare yourself to is ...YOU! you and your body knows what is good - it is better to lose less over time than a lot quickly - your skin has to adjust and that will not happen overnight..slow and steady is good !
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

^^^ This.

I reached my goal on Dec. 17, but it took me 15 months to get there. I deliberately set the bar low, with a half-pound loss goal per week (I actually averaged three-quarters). That is helping me during maintenance, because all I've had to do was slightly increase my calories. Otherwise, my good habits stick with me.

My longest plateau was 48 days, where my scale was going up-down-up-down-up-down (I weigh myself daily). I might have felt impatient, but I never got discouraged. I knew I was doing the right things, and I kept telling myself, "You're in much better shape now than when you started."

Also, it's natural for weight loss to slow as one gets closer to goal. Here's what my cumulative weight loss looked like. I logged only decreases in weight, so the fluctuations don't appear here:
    11418160225_0f0e69f3e1_o.jpg
    Great post.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    My weight loss has slowed down a lot, lots of people I know are losing 2lbs a week and not eating great or being consistent. It's really easy to be frustrated and discouraged with slow weight loss.
    I'd try and focus on your NSV's they mean a lot when the scale isn't moving very much! :)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Yep. Full 12 months to lose the 30 lbs. I lost a little more and now hover in a 5lb range for the last (almost) 2 years. My husband joined me the last 4 months of my weight loss and he lost 30 lbs in 4 months. What took me a year took him 1/3 of that time! But we're both healthier for it!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I feel that I have lost at a pretty steady pace with MFP, although not as quickly as some others. I'm set to lose 1.5 lb per week and when I average out my loss since joining it comes to around 1.3 lb per week. Although many weeks I've seen a loss of 0 or less than 1 lb, it seems to average out in the longer term.

But...before joining MFP, I lost 45 lb and it took me almost 4 years. Granted, I was kinda stabbing in the dark as I had NO clue about calorie counting and wasn't logging, and I seriously did not know anything about exercise calories and so on. But the reason I'm even commenting here is because I do understand how frustrating it can be when you lose a significant amount over a very long period of time. Losing 45 lb over 4 years, almost no one noticed the changes and I received no comments at all until the very end when my mom and ONE friend noticed. That was a lot harder than the past year losing 58 lb at a more rapid rate, and getting frequent comments because it is just more noticeable.

HOWEVER...in the long run...for me, that first 45 lb that I lost before I even knew about this site was the most important because that's how I realized it was even possible for me to lose weight and keep it off. So FWIW, a slow loss is still great.

I feel you though...sometimes I read about a woman who started at the same weight I did and is at the same weight I am at now, and she started in SEPTEMBER (when I started in March) and I don't even see how that's possible. Everyone's different. Sometimes too, if you ate pretty healthy before then you will have a slightly slower loss with cutting calories than a person who ate a totally crap diet and is eating 100% differently now.