Who will start a whole 30 with me?

Options
My name is Amy and I'm looking for some friends/support as I try a Whole 30!

Whole 30 is a 30-day kick-start to better overall health. It stresses eating lean meats and lots of vegetables. It's not low-carb, but can be for some people that want that sort of diet. The program does not allow dairy, grains, legumes, or any sugar-added foods. I lost 10 lb the first time I did a whole 30, and it changed my whole way of thinking about food and helped me crave less sweets. I only was able to make it 2.5 weeks through the program. I am hoping if I find enough people to start with me, we can add each other as friends and maybe create a group so that we can support each other through the 30 days.

Here is an introduction to the program:

http://www.whole9life.com/start/

Here are the program details:

http://whole9life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/the-official-whole30-program-whole9life.com.pdf

Replies

• tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    can't, sorry. I love my dairy, grains and legumes too much. :p

best of luck, though! you can do this!! :)
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    That's okay- I understand Tibby!
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I did this for 3 wks twice within the last year. After the headaches went away, I felt awesome. But it was too restrictive for me and was hard to prep enough food ahead of time for myself.

I still follow some of the guidelines when cooking, it was definitely an eyeopener for me.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in the middle of a WHole30 to try to break some bad snacking habits. I am doing pretty well. I got a little carried away with dates and figs as snacks around Thanksgiving, which did not help my mental issues, but I haven't gone off it yet (other than non approved bacon). I actually don't miss dairy as much as I thought I would, and I can see myself continuing to mostly eat this way, although adding stuff in, like yogurt every once in awhile and oatmeal here and there. I haven't really actually noticed tons of physical differences, in how I feel, and sometimes I feel more bloated from all the green leafy veggies, but I am getting my snacking more under control as well as becoming more in tune without hunger and fullness cues. It also helped me break through my stall on losing, which was coming from binges. I do think I'm going to be going back to counting calories, though.
  • shuki_cotren
    Options
    I did this for 3 wks twice within the last year. After the headaches went away, I felt awesome. But it was too restrictive for me and was hard to prep enough food ahead of time for myself.

I still follow some of the guidelines when cooking, it was definitely an eyeopener for me.

I know exactly what you mean- this time I'm doing an affordable, minimal prep style of a whole 30. My favorite non-paleo foods are nachos, burritos, and pizza. I'm a simple-meal kind of girl!!! So, yeah, there will be a little more work, but I'm not spending an hour on a meal EVER AGAIN. If I have to do that kind of prep, the recipe is getting tossed! I have a daughter I want to spend time with, so I don't want to spend time in the kitchen away from everyone.

My first whole 30 I spent soooo much money on food too. I know organic, grass-fed is the best way to eat, but for me it's not realistic right now. I don't have a freezer, I don't live walking distance from a farmers market, and I am a picky eater so a CSA is out! My local grocery store can be super expensive, but it's right down the road so that's just where I go.

I'm totally doing this Whole 30 the cheap way! And the lazy way! I can help if anyone wants to do this too!
  • shuki_cotren
    Options
    I'm currently in the middle of a WHole30 to try to break some bad snacking habits. I am doing pretty well. I got a little carried away with dates and figs as snacks around Thanksgiving, which did not help my mental issues, but I haven't gone off it yet (other than non approved bacon). I actually don't miss dairy as much as I thought I would, and I can see myself continuing to mostly eat this way, although adding stuff in, like yogurt every once in awhile and oatmeal here and there. I haven't really actually noticed tons of physical differences, in how I feel, and sometimes I feel more bloated from all the green leafy veggies, but I am getting my snacking more under control as well as becoming more in tune without hunger and fullness cues. It also helped me break through my stall on losing, which was coming from binges. I do think I'm going to be going back to counting calories, though.

That's awesome! You're doing great by the sound of it. My first whole 30 definitely affected the way I felt about food, but I did end up cheating with junk food every once in awhile after I quit the whole 30. I think maybe getting through the whole 30 days will increase the likelihood of me sticking with the lifestyle. I tried a "cheat version" of the whole 30, allowing yogurt and not being so strict... but guess what? I lasted longer on my first, totally compliant whole30 than I did with the less strict one. I lasted like 3 days with my cheat version. So, that's why I'm starting fresh and striving for a totally compliant whole30 again. I know it will be worth it! :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I am definitely not doing the whole organic grass fed meat thing. It's just not totally feasible for my family. I also have been doing a lot of batch cooking. A big pot of chili (leftover from a party) lasted me a week. I'll cook up a pound of ground beef and some chicken breasts on Sunday to use as lunches and dinners (if I'm making a less than compliant meal for my family. I've found that easier than making a compliant meal everyone will like every night).
  • shuki_cotren
    Options
    Oh, and I am definitely not doing the whole organic grass fed meat thing. It's just not totally feasible for my family. I also have been doing a lot of batch cooking. A big pot of chili (leftover from a party) lasted me a week. I'll cook up a pound of ground beef and some chicken breasts on Sunday to use as lunches and dinners (if I'm making a less than compliant meal for my family. I've found that easier than making a compliant meal everyone will like every night).

Good idea! I feel like a meal has to be REALLY good if I'm going to eat it all week because I'm not crazy about leftovers, but due to lack of time and our need for affordable meals, that's what I've been doing ever since my Whole30 last August. I do that batch food preparation on Sunday. Usually a soup that I can eat for lunches at work, and another slow cooker meal like pot roast that I can eat with my family for dinners. I do need some more variety I think (eating the same food for lunch all week, and the same food for dinner all week is pretty boring). Sometimes I'm too lazy to make a healthy breakfast so I have to eat a portion of my lunch/dinner options for breakfast! I'm thinking that if I keep iceberg lettuce in the house and some cooked chicken breast, I can do a salad when I need a little variety. It just sucks how much meat I have to buy, though, if I'm doing meat for every meal. I just heard of "paleo egg drop soup" though and I'm thinking about trying that soon for the protein option. I hear the eggs are like noodles the way you make it!
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've done about 5 whole 30's. My first was after renting Dallas and Melissa a car when they came to Baltimore in 2010. Salads, Soups, and Stews are your best friend in this. Also I let go of the idea of grass fed or organic anything. It just wasn't going to happen with my budget. I fell in love with the frozen vegetable section as well. Buying fresh produce was SO expensive but frozen? I could buy twice the food with half the money. You can make this affordable and easy but you definitely need to plan ahead. My last 2 Whole 30's were my most successful because I did tons of reading and deciding on what my snacks would be, what would be the cheapest meals, and which foods would be the quickest to put together. I can definitely say being prepared makes Whole 30 a breeze. Feel free to add me if you need more advice, recipes, encouragement, or anything like that
  • shuki_cotren
    Options
    I've done about 5 whole 30's. My first was after renting Dallas and Melissa a car when they came to Baltimore in 2010. Salads, Soups, and Stews are your best friend in this. Also I let go of the idea of grass fed or organic anything. It just wasn't going to happen with my budget. I fell in love with the frozen vegetable section as well. Buying fresh produce was SO expensive but frozen? I could buy twice the food with half the money. You can make this affordable and easy but you definitely need to plan ahead. My last 2 Whole 30's were my most successful because I did tons of reading and deciding on what my snacks would be, what would be the cheapest meals, and which foods would be the quickest to put together. I can definitely say being prepared makes Whole 30 a breeze. Feel free to add me if you need more advice, recipes, encouragement, or anything like that

I love thinking about and planning my meals. The making-them part is what I dread! I'm totally adding you- I could really use the encouragement and ideas! Thanks!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I bought the book for my kindle- thinking about starting it in January to detox after the holidays and maybe become more "food aware". Good luck!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Posts like this are better received in the Primal Paleo support group. There are a whole bunch of us and we love to support each other. I'm day 24 of my second Whole30, but I am quite strict ketogenic Primal even when not on Whole30. There are even threads just addressing Whole30. In fact, maybe there is even a specific Whole30 group.

PS. For the people who say it's too expensive here's my experience. Firstly, I live in the Arctic. Secondly, due to malnourishment I had binge eating disorder. Thirdly, I keep track of every penny I spend and have for years. So... even though my food items are much, much more expensive than before, because I eat such high quality, nutrient dense (high fat) food but in much smaller quantities (without even trying -BED vanished immediately when I went keto Primal), I am actually SAVING money; about 20% per month. Even with flying in all kinds of specialty stuff that I can't access locally; such as coconut oil, raw organic nuts, apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, etc.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to look like Melissa!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to look like Melissa!

^What the heck do you mean by that? Now we are slamming people's looks? I haven't seen her lately, but she looked awesome last time I did see her. Perhaps slimmer than I would choose to be but I suspect she's a lot more athletic than I am too. And it's not my business anyway.
  • shuki_cotren
    Options
    Posts like this are better received in the Primal Paleo support group. There are a whole bunch of us and we love to support each other. I'm day 24 of my second Whole30, but I am quite strict ketogenic Primal even when not on Whole30. There are even threads just addressing Whole30. In fact, maybe there is even a specific Whole30 group.

PS. For the people who say it's too expensive here's my experience. Firstly, I live in the Arctic. Secondly, due to malnourishment I had binge eating disorder. Thirdly, I keep track of every penny I spend and have for years. So... even though my food items are much, much more expensive than before, because I eat such high quality, nutrient dense (high fat) food but in much smaller quantities (without even trying -BED vanished immediately when I went keto Primal), I am actually SAVING money; about 20% per month. Even with flying in all kinds of specialty stuff that I can't access locally; such as coconut oil, raw organic nuts, apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, etc.

Thanks for the advice! I've tried to find Whole 30 groups, and I have joined the popular one, but it still doesn't seem to be very active. I will plan to check out the Primal Paleo group page. Thanks! We keep track of every penny too in a spreadsheet. I feel like spending more than $70 a week is overbudget for our family of 3 (me, my husband, and my 1 yr old), but haven't been able to achieve $70 a week in months, even non-paleo. We are averaging about 110 dollars a week. It might just be me. I'm not too good at finding deals... Do you use amazon or other websites?
  • shuki_cotren
    Options
    I bought the book for my kindle- thinking about starting it in January to detox after the holidays and maybe become more "food aware". Good luck!

Thanks- you too! Good luck to you in January!
  • cici13095
    Options
    I'm doing Tim Ferriss's 4 hour body, which has generally the same rules, except encourages legumes for fuel. I only eat them about once a day though, so if you'd like we can kinda do it together!
  • Dteg
    Dteg Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am starting January1!!!!!!