been told to stop losing, but i still have belly fat! pic

Options

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    no at the moment, i have no gym access :(

Then I would look into bodyweight training.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I think you are staring in the mirror at a real life example of the difference between weight and body fat percentage.

You may be at ideal weight for your height but have a higher body fat percentage than desired. Possibly and probably have genetics working against you on that stomach.

Here is the pickle you are in now. You could drop more weight and get more fat off that stomach but you would have to drop your weight down to a level that may be incredibly hard if not possible for you to constantly maintain. This would be the quickest but probably not a long term solution by any means

or

You can start a weight training routine to lower that bf% so your end result would be much more maintainable over the long run. You would probably initially gain just a bit and will take a good deal longer than just cutting the weight right now but you wont have to eat crackers and water for the rest of your life looking like a skeleton with a nice stomach. Ideally you would keep your calories at maintenance levels or just slightly over.

Just my 2 cents

this
    +1

+2
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Cardio will not tone your body or build muscle. You have to do lifting for that. If you really want to get rid of your belly, pick up the weights. You don't have to like it, just do it.
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You don't have to like it, just do it.

my mantra for this year, thanks!
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm also kind of in the same position. I reached a pretty low/average weight for my height , i have seen my stomach going down since i did insanity. and now i want to start lifting weights but i am nervous about going to the gym without knowing what im doing. going to hire a trainer in the new year!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    no at the moment, i have no gym access :(

Then I would look into bodyweight training.
    Google: "you are your own gym" for starters.

Planks, Pilates.... strengthen your core. You can do that anywhere.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Is the strength training videos on FitnessBlender good for the goal?
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Fitness is not indicated by a number on a scale! It is determined by how you look and feel. If you are still unhappy, make healthy changes. Muscles is denser, so you will weigh more and be skinnier. You could work on strength training to build muscle. Then if you are still unhappy with the fat% then you can cut more. You will burn fat more efficiently with more muscle anyway.

BTW, I am 5'4 and 119 lbs. So I do not think 121 lbs at 5'0 is too skinny. You are most likely skinny/fat if you still have a tummy. (I do not and I have 5 kids!). The key is whether the weight is mostly muscle or fat. Sounds like you have a higher percentage of body fat. Maybe buy some fat calipers or invest in a body fat test???
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    All you people are suggesting lifting! Doesn't Tae Bo work well too??? :-P
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I want to try lifting at some point, but right now I just do Pilates. If you do the exercises consistently, correctly, & often, you'll tone up. Don't eat as though you're lifting, though (i.e. you'll still need to eat at maintenance, don't go nuts)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I think you are staring in the mirror at a real life example of the difference between weight and body fat percentage.

You may be at ideal weight for your height but have a higher body fat percentage than desired. Possibly and probably have genetics working against you on that stomach.

Here is the pickle you are in now. You could drop more weight and get more fat off that stomach but you would have to drop your weight down to a level that may be incredibly hard if not possible for you to constantly maintain. This would be the quickest but probably not a long term solution by any means

or

You can start a weight training routine to lower that bf% so your end result would be much more maintainable over the long run. You would probably initially gain just a bit and will take a good deal longer than just cutting the weight right now but you wont have to eat crackers and water for the rest of your life looking like a skeleton with a nice stomach. Ideally you would keep your calories at maintenance levels or just slightly over.

Just my 2 cents

^^^Solid advice!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    All you people are suggesting lifting! Doesn't Tae Bo work well too??? :-P
    :flowerforyou:
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    What has helped my post baby (babies) muffin top

Core work. I'm not talking about 100 crunches or the ab roller. Planks, supermans etc. Strengthen your core AND lower back.

Cut out carbs, especially refined. I know this is debatable, but anecdotally speaking, refined sugars go straight to my waist and hips (and no, its not just bloat)

I didn't increase my cardio duration, but intensity. I jog a 12 minute mile (5 mph), but every 5 minutes I increase it to a full out run for 1 minute (7mph), then return to my normal pace.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'd seriously consider yoga in addition to anything else you might try. Yoga is great for toning and will also help your posture and alignment--and it's also a great mood lifter. You don't look like you need to lose much more weight, though that's up to you, but getting muscle tone is your next step.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm similar. Toppish end of healthy BMI and still with a tum after losing 28lbs. I don't want to lose more weight at all though, at 46 I already have a face/neck like a shelled tortoise! I've kind of accepted I just won't be perfect in looks or health stats maybe, but at least I'm less imperfect than before lol.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    is cardio helpful? i dont know if i am gonna like lifting :blushing:

Don't do it because you like it, do it because you don't like your stomach!
  • believer1988
    Options
    on the Scooby site, he says in order to lose the belly fat, there is no spot reduction, all one can do is eat less and add more cardio. I get confused lol guess cardio helps some and lifting helps others. can I do lifting with dumbells or is it barbell work?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    on the Scooby site, he says in order to lose the belly fat, there is no spot reduction, all one can do is eat less and add more cardio. I get confused lol guess cardio helps some and lifting helps others. can I do lifting with dumbells or is it barbell work?
    Does it really?
  • believer1988
    Options
    Does it really?

yup. look at the ab section
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what site you found your ideal weight on, but 121 doesn't sound right at all. I'm 5'0" as well, and I've seen from several sites that my (our) ideal weight is around 106.