Trying Meatless Monday's... but I really like meat LOL

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if you eat fish- it isn't meatless monday.

fish = meat.

I have never heard anyone refer to fish as meat until your post. Interesting take on the subject.

It's not an interesting take on the subject- it's reality. It's a fact.
    Fish are animals.
    Meat is dead animal.

fish are animals- they may not be mammals- but they are still animals.

That is why there are separate terms for people who ONLY eat fish meat (pescetarian) and those who don't eat meat at all.

I have a friend who doesn't like eating animals- I was like- but you eat fish- she goes to me "fish aren't animals- they are tubes- with eyes"

And while I chuckled- I thought it was sad she had to literally trick herself out of thinking it was once a living breathing animals that is now on her plate.

Now- I don't care what you eat- or how you eat it (my friend says he's a vegetarian but cant' give up sushi?? what???)- and my other friend is an amazing chef- doesn't eat red meat- rarely even eats chicken... amazing food. Still calls himself vegetarian- then back tracks and says- well not really- I eat fish still. <facepalm> But call it what it is- that's why they have names. Don't say you 'don't eat meat' if you still eat meat. It's just completely illogical to me.

I'm purely speculating- but I suspect it's just much easier to say "i'm a vegetarian" than to say other things. But I don't know- I'm firmly in the "I eat cow" camp.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    hmm
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a lot of seitan lately. 120 cals and 21 g of protein. I made the chicken style with Thai peanut sauce and spinach. Tonight I'm having it with just barbecue sauce and veggies.

ETA I used to eat a Morningstar Farms Grillers Prime veggie burger every day for lunch. Sometimes I cut it up in my salad. Put it on a bun and dress it up like you would a regular burger and you probably wouldn't know the difference. Their chik'n patties are really good, too.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Spam egg sausage and spam don't have much spam in it.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    But in a serious reply, I have done a seven layer dip with:

First layer - refired beans with taco seasoning mixed in
    Second layer - guacamole
    Third Layer - Thicik and Chunky Salsa or Picante
    Fourth Layer - Sour Cream with taco seasoning mixed in
    Fifth Layer - Lettuce
    Sixth Layer - Cheese
    Seventh Layer - Fresh chopped tomatoes
    Bonus Layer - Green Onions or Black Olives

Scoop it up with a tortilla chip. Warning - Not low cal or low sodium. It is very tasty though.
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi! We go meatless every so often (not EVERY Monday, but usually try for at least a few times a month). The trick is to find recipes with lots of veggies, beans and cheese (if you can manage it). I have a good lasagna roll-up recipe http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/01/spinach-lasagna-roll-ups/ (trust me, you won't miss the meat!) and if you make a big batch, you have left overs for lunches! (they make good hand-held lunches if you don't mind them cold).

I made a good veggie chili for my roommate who's going veggie 5x a week for his health. Don't know how good it is (he still has to try it), but it freezes and it uses an insane amount of veggies and it's sooo easy http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Insanely-Easy-Vegetarian-Chili/Detail.aspx?evt19=1 Allrecipes.com has about 1700 veggie recipes, so it's worth checking out.

And finally, my hubby just makes ginormous veggie wraps for weekend lunches. He uses Jalepeno cheese wraps (Dempsters in this case), romaine lettuce, red, yellow and green peppers, onions, tomatoes and whatever other veggies we have in the house, pickles or pickled peppers and then he just got some Italian dressing to go with it. Huuuggee and keeps him full all day long. I don't care for them myself (too spicy and I'm not a pepper fan), but he adores them.

Hope that helps!
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The Meatless Mondays website has some really great recipes on it. You can even check out your local library to search for bean slow cooker cookbooks. There's a ton of ways to cook up dried beans. I've done streaks of Meatless Mondays every now and then and found myself cooking lots of Indian food.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Veggie stir fries are good. If you make it with brown rice that's even heartier and more filling than white rice, and you can also add peanuts or cashews for protein.

I also love making tacos or burritos with black beans instead of ground beef. I add taco seasoning to a can of black beans and cook. Sometimes I'll also add onions, corn, or canned tomatoes. This is also good over rice.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    How about replacing meat with Chicken Ovums? Eggs are a very healthy and inexpensive source of protein.

Omelets
    French Toast
    Egg and veggie fried rice
    Egg burrito
    Egg drop soup
    Egg and cheese sandwich
    Egg Salad sandwich
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options

fish = meat.

I have never heard anyone refer to fish as meat until your post. Interesting take on the subject.

I've alway heard people refer to fish as meatless, but I have never understood that. Fish is muscle. Muscle tissue is meat. Why does a fish's muscle not count? Why can Catholics eat fish for lent, but not pork or beef?

What's that Nirvana song? Something in the Way? It's okay to eat fish 'Cause they don't have any feelings
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here. I never knew/realized that people had meat EVERY day until I heard about "Meatless Monday"... Dunno how people can afford to eat like that. At my house, we always share chicken breasts, steaks, etc. If I'm making something that's traditionally made with meat, I'll sub it for mushrooms to make it heartier.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I just ate baked tofu with curry simmer sauce and peas. It was awesome. The secret to tofu is to press the water out of it, bake it in slices at 400 for 20 min, flip, 10 mins, then broil on low for 3 mins. You can put what ever sauce you want on it; I often make Toe-sghetti, which is just spaghetti with baked tofu.

You can also replace meat with beans in taco, taco salads.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    How about replacing meat with Chicken Ovums? Eggs are a very healthy and inexpensive source of protein.

Omelets
    French Toast
    Egg burrito
    Egg drop soup
    Egg and cheese sandwich
    Egg Salad sandwich

I was here, thinking to myself that meatless anything sounds awful, and then I saw these suggestions and found myself corrected. French toast for breakfast, egg fried rice for lunch, and egg drop soup for dinner. Would do!

I'm really thrown by all this 'meat is expensive' stuff though. I just spent 5 dollars on three pounds of chicken legs, that's the opposite of expensive.

Edit: And yes, I have meat at basically every meal. I get cranky without it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I do meatless Monday's...mainly to get more vegetables in my diet, and honestly I love going meatless one night a week. Now, I go meatless...not vegan...so I still will use cheeses and dairy and stuff on Mondays. Some of the things I make are:

-Spinach and Ricotta Lasagna rolls
    -Eggplant lasagna (use chopped eggplant instead of meat in the sauce)
    -Soups (italian vegetable soups are my favorite)
    -Large salads
    -Vegetable Homemade Pizzas

Just to name a few.
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Meatless lasagna is amazingly good. I didn't eat meat for a week a few months ago and this recipe had me set for 2 - 3 days. I didn't even miss meat. :smile:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-vegetarian-spinach-lasagna/
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It's only once a week...can't you just do different types of pasta dishes? I also liked the breakfast for dinner idea.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Easy fixes:

1.) Tofu stir fry (if you marinate/season it properly, it's DELICIOUS)
    2.) Breakfast for dinner...soft poached eggs and english muffin with some fresh fruit? Um yes, please!
    3.) I hate to say it but...cheese? My husband and I make healthier versions of grilled cheese and a cup of tomato soup-delicious, especially in cold weather.
    4.) Nuts/nut butters...PB&J? Boring but always tasty.
    5.) omelette...packed with lots of veggies and topped with light or fat free sour cream and salsa? Delicious!

All meatless options.
  • Nancy_AZ60
    Nancy_AZ60 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

fish = meat.

It's not an interesting take on the subject- it's reality. It's a fact.
    Fish are animals.
    Meat is dead animal.

fish are animals- they may not be mammals- but they are still animals.

That is why there are separate terms for people who ONLY eat fish meat (pescetarian) and those who don't eat meat at all.

I have a friend who doesn't like eating animals- I was like- but you eat fish- she goes to me "fish aren't animals- they are tubes- with eyes"

And while I chuckled- I thought it was sad she had to literally trick herself out of thinking it was once a living breathing animals that is now on her plate.

Now- I don't care what you eat- or how you eat it (my friend says he's a vegetarian but cant' give up sushi?? what???)- and my other friend is an amazing chef- doesn't eat red meat- rarely even eats chicken... amazing food. Still calls himself vegetarian- then back tracks and says- well not really- I eat fish still. <facepalm> But call it what it is- that's why they have names. Don't say you 'don't eat meat' if you still eat meat. It's just completely illogical to me.

I'm purely speculating- but I suspect it's just much easier to say "i'm a vegetarian" than to say other things. But I don't know- I'm firmly in the "I eat cow" camp.

I think FISH were not considered meat during Biblical times, since fish are COLD blooded animals and do not bleed Blood like a Mammel does. Warm Blooded animals are considered "Meat". We raise grass fed beef, so.. Meat is a staple at our house.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options

Omelets
    French Toast
    Egg burrito
    Egg drop soup
    Egg and cheese sandwich
    Egg Salad sandwich

I was here, thinking to myself that meatless anything sounds awful, and then I saw these suggestions and found myself corrected. French toast for breakfast, egg fried rice for lunch, and egg drop soup for dinner. Would do!

I'm really thrown by all this 'meat is expensive' stuff though. I just spent 5 dollars on three pounds of chicken legs, that's the opposite of expensive.

Edit: And yes, I have meat at basically every meal. I get cranky without it.

Where do you live? I need to fill a cooler with dry ice an shop there for a year. Even ground beef is $3.50 per pound here. If you are patient and wait for a sale, you maybe can find chicken leg quarters for $1.29 per pound. It takes a while though.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I often go through month long periods of not eating meat so I recommend Gardein! The Beefless beef tips are so good and they all taste like meat and they are completely vegan. You can get it at your local Publix or Whole Foods. I also recommend the Chik'n fingers