How to do this next time...

Options
chelseawill03
chelseawill03 Posts: 17 Member
At the beginning of last year I started off on myfitnesspal. I stuck with it for 8 months, and had lost about 60 pounds. However, in August, I moved out of my home and hometown, started working in a high stress/long hours job, and lost track of myself. SOMEHOW, I have maintained, but I want to continue losing.

That being said, the first time I lost the weight I was cooking or suggesting meals for my whole family. Now, I live on my own and leave early and come home late. I need recipes that are have quick preparation, are cheap, since I am on a teacher's salary, and that don't make a TON of food, because if I get bored of it I will just throw it out. Any suggestions?

Replies

• str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Make meals ahead of time and freeze them. That way when you come home...pop it in and ready in a bit. You can also portion size for one person. Just a suggestion.
  • rie_q
    rie_q Posts: 73
    Options
    Make meals ahead of time and freeze them. That way when you come home...pop it in and ready in a bit. You can also portion size for one person. Just a suggestion.

This... Even if they are in batches, you can have batches off different things in your freezer so you can still mix it up. My mum cooks veggies and then portions them out separately from the other parts of a meal, so she can mix up what goes with what.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i buy chicken breast on sale and portion it out into 150g chunks (you can use whatever size you like, of course) and then freeze it. i pull a baggie out of the freezer when i leave the house in the morning and then when i get home i just pan cook it and make either a serving of pasta and some veg or i'll have it with an ounce of cheddar and some raw crunchy veg, whatever i'm feeling like.

i do the same thing with ground beef, but i generally portion that out into a pound so i can make a meatloaf or something that i can eat for a couple of days. i also make big (2-3lb) batches of meatballs on a weekend when i have time and i can take 5 of those out of the freezer and that + a salad = dinner in 45 seconds in the microwave.

taking the time to cook in batches that can be frozen or refrigerated for ease of use during the week will be 1) budget friendly 2) quick and 3) full of options for variety. hope that helps!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I like premaking meals and freezing them as the others have said. Additionally, I purchased a three tier steamer that cooks rice, meat (fish, chicken, whatever) and veg all in 30-35 minutes. Put it all in then let it cook while you do something else. If you use precut or frozen veg, it is really simple :-)