Open to opinion/suggestion.

Options
I have PCOS & an under active thryoid - am also waiting on a heart op. The words "per-diabetic' have popped up on occasion & have done the glucose fasting test once(I think that's what it is called) which indicated this also.

Im 5ft2.5 & currently 108.6kg (approx 240lb)

For most of 2012 I was on a VLCD (under medical supervision) and lost approx 30kg.

For most of 2013 I was meant to be losing weight - but really just maintained (losing approx only 5kg -It is however, the first year in my life i did not gain like crazy! well - not counting 2012) Unfortunately I really have no idea how many calories I was generally eating most days in 2013 to know what approx 'maintenance calories' may look like for me.

After much research into PCOS & Thyroid Issues - I have found foods which, in including them every day - seem to help my symptoms & I feel better than I have in years... Now I just need to continue do so, and lose some weight also.

After having done VLCD & realising how bad it really can be for your body, for long periods of time, I don't wish to go back there. . . However with PCOS & Thyroid issues - i feel rather hesitant to use the calorie allotment generic programs give (including MFP) for 'general' people who are overweight but with generally healthy bodies (No metabolic issues)

I intend to stick to 1400 calories/day with 25%carb, 25%Protein, 50% fat. With the foods I eat to help my symptoms this seems a good & easy ratio to maintain (fat comes mainly from the nuts and avocado i eat each day - a little dairy - and lean meat)

FYI (as I do not have my diary open to public as I am still figuring this all out) A day for me looks like this (not a good day, or a bad day - just a general day, as most of it is per-prepared at the beginning of the week & only afternoon tea/dinner vary much):

Breakfast
100g blueberries, 100g organic no added sugar yoghurt, Cinnamon, 10g oat bran, 10g honey

Morning Tea
10g each almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, macadamia nuts (sometimes the nuts change, but brazil always stay for selenium)

Lunch
2-4 corn thins, 100-200g of 'mix' (equal parts avocado, cottage cheese & tuna/chicken/other meat)
(plus salad veg too sometimes)

Afternoon Tea
Curried eggs (up to 100g) in lettuce leaves/with other salad/on corn thins
Or a full fat milky drink (homemade cuppachino - hot coc - just a glass of milk)
Or mussles/oysters/chicken
Or cheese & veg/salad sticks

Dinner
meat & rice/potato & salad/veg (which makes up a gazillion different meals)

(dinner and afternoon tea are a bit of a free for all, depending what fits into my calories/macros - and is where predominantly it is easiest for me to add in variety)

Any exercise I do - I plan to eat back the calories. I hope to start both 30day shred & c25k (alternate days) but will of course see how my overall health goes with that exertion.

So, being mindful of medical issues (and i really don't want this to turn into a calorie in/calorie out debate between the masses please) I leave it open to your opinions/suggestions. Thank you.

Replies

• littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    *Bump* - Still unsure when 'busy time' is on here - as most people seem to be from the states :)
  • littlelexical
    Options
    3rd time lucky :)
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert especially when it comes to PCOS or under-active thyroid but this looks like a pretty balanced diet to me. Are you going to eat back your exercise calories?
    Also I just finished the 30DS, very effective. I didn't lose much weight but a lot of inches instead. It got a little boring some days but since the workouts were short it was alright. Sometimes I played other music or put a movie on and played the workout on my laptop, made it seem a lot shorter.
  • littlelexical
    Options
    Thanks @Colortheworld - I do intend eating workout calories (or part there of) back at the moment. I think I will wait to get my HRM before allowing myself to eat all calories back though - as im unsure of the margin of error with workout logging :)
    And thanks for the feedback on 30DS - I think from leading a sedentry life for the last few years & the amount of weight i have to lose - I will be surprised if there is not some form of scale victory for me too - But if I get just inches - I will still be extatic!
  • Andy_Chow
    Options
    I think your fat ratio is fine. I might suggest higher protein, lower carbs. But overall you seem to know what you are doing.

BTW, I'm ignorant of your medical condition. Did you have a doctor approve your diagnosis? Thyroid problem is an easy word to throw around. And rarely a real problem.

If you've lost 35kg since May, be realistic, that's a great achievement.

I'd say screw the honey, the oats, the milk and cheese. Cut out dairy and gluten products (most oats are contaminated with gluten). Those products always cause problems with me.

But really, follow a doctor if you have medical problems.
  • littlelexical
    Options
    @Andy-Chow - Thanks for your suggestions. As clarification, I lost 30kgs in 2012 on VLCD - and only 5 kgs in 2013 trying to find a more balanced 'body correcting' eating approach

Also, Yes, Dr diagnosed - PCOS at 17, and Thyroid at 21. Heart condition since birth.
    I am still under Dr supervision - however, GP's are not generally highly knowledgeable about either of the conditions separately - and finding someone who has a fantastic understanding of how the 2 interact, together, in my state is nigh on impossible. The people I have been 'referred to' have given me some truley terrible advice which in honesty - is great for a normal healthy body - but - very detrimental to a PCOS/Thyroid body. If only I knew that - without blindly following what they told em for years first!
    I've since been doing my own research & will continue regular check ups with the GP (who knows about my decision to try things 'my way' and will support me in doing so as long as I have regular check-ups) 'just in case' something in my logic is completely flawed - or - *please cross your fingers for me* - That what I am doing is beneficial & I am able to get off of medications & put-off my heart op for a little longer :)

(As an aside- sorry for my long winded responses!)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    i'm not 100% sure of your question...but think what you're doing looks great. good to see someone not afraid to eat fat!!

i'd also suggest experimenting taking out the dairy/gluten like suggested before. you may find removing these helps your symptoms too. personally, i'd eat vegies instead of corn thins, just from a volume and satisfaction perspective. not a huge fan of corn products
  • Andy_Chow
    Options
    Great to hear that you are being followed regularly. Would like to hear about your progress going forward.

I know doctors here (Canada) have told me to lower cholesterol in my diet when I was eating an almost vegan diet, and now are impressed with my "optimal" cholesterol levels, when I'm eating mostly animal fats and protein, and no grains at all.

I have no condition, but under the standard canadian food pyramid, simply put, I was dying. I reached up 285 lbs, completely gave up on everything, started eating only what I felt like (mostly meat), and lost weight effortlessly while feeling way better and not having digestive problems or lack of energy.

I had one doctor talk about thyroid problem, but I thought, I'm over 100 lbs overweight, I probably have a problem with every glandular system. I found that cutting all gluten and dairy products worked wonders for me (and me alone, I'm aware each person has their own chemistry going on). Well, no doctor would ever recommend that! Grains and dairy good. Meat bad. What a racket.

Keep on going! Track what affects you and find your optimal way. It may take years, it may be painful, but if you keep on going you'll find your optimal food intake.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Colortheworld - I do intend eating workout calories (or part there of) back at the moment. I think I will wait to get my HRM before allowing myself to eat all calories back though - as im unsure of the margin of error with workout logging :)
    And thanks for the feedback on 30DS - I think from leading a sedentry life for the last few years & the amount of weight i have to lose - I will be surprised if there is not some form of scale victory for me too - But if I get just inches - I will still be extatic!

You are probably safe eating back about 60% of your workout calories until you get an HRM. I don't think they have a way to log the 30DS under exercises on here, I logged it as circuit training, which is what was suggested under several posts about that. You're welcome... I'm fairly sedentary (desk job) and so the 30DS was pretty tough at first but worth it seeing myself build up strength! I'm nearing maintenance so I didn't expect to lose much weight but was pleased with it still, down a dress size. Best of luck!!!
  • littlelexical
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean - Thanks for your reply - especially the comment on fat - as I was wondering if it was 'too much' - but - seems it is easily reached with some avocado & nuts each day & I don't feel that is unhealthy, or unhealthy amounts.

I really had No questions as such - I have just been so focused on working out what is right for me & weighing up what i think PCOS & Thyroid conditions need - I wanted to give others the chance to take a look & make sure I hadn't missed some glaringly obvious for general health and well being.

Personally - As I am right now, I don't believe I will ever be in a place where i eat no gluten. From what i have read, people with PCOS/thyroid issues who omit gluten (and carbs) then introduce it back in can often have great difficulties doing so (not so much in a bingeing way, as much as building up an intolerance & feeling quite ill when re-introducing it kind of way)

However, I do believe that people with PCOS/thyroid issues & Diabetics/pre-diabetics do seem to do better with lower gluten (and carb) diet - especially for weightloss.
    At the moment (as this is still quite new to me) the corn thins are a great alternative from the HUGE amount of bread/pasta/wraps I once ate for convenience (and cos, honestly, I loved them - they tasted great to me - especially slathered in butter).
    Often I will swap them out & use a lettuce leaf to wrap 'sandwich type contents' in. It really depends on the day & what i envisage afternoon tea/dinner will hold for me too.

As for dairy - it appears hugely debated as to if PCOS/Thyroid patients should, or should not include dairy in their diet - So will try it in moderation for the moment - but - if I really struggle with the weight loss (especially as I get closer to goal perhaps?) It may well be something I cut out. Its always something I have been unsure on - but I love it - so - will see how I go with keeping it in for the moment.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can't help or offer advice personally but I wanted to suggest that you search the groups section. I am pretty sure there is a group that offers support to those that suffer PCOS. They may be able to give you more advice specific to your problems :flowerforyou:
  • littlelexical
    Options
    @Bounce - thanks for your suggestion & support, just by commenting!

I have had a sticky beak in a few of the threads I have seen on both PCOS or Thyroid issues - unfortunately, the 2 issues are somewhat of a catch 22 situation in how they affect your body & unfortunately, some of the recommended solutions are also a catch 22 in that they are good for one, but detrimental to the other.

I do still stick my head in regularly and have a read - am always interested in learning new ways to use nutrition to counteract metabolic issues - then go and research how they affect the other condition & try to decide if its benefit for the one condition outweighs any negative impact it may have on the other condition.

I guess I posted this here, as oppose to in a specific PCOS or Thyroid page, as I have just been so focused on working out what is right for me & weighing up what i think PCOS & Thyroid conditions need - I wanted to give others the chance to take a look & make sure I hadn't missed some glaringly obvious for general health and well being. (sorry, that bit was cut and pasted - I figured I posted it whilst you were writing your comment :) )
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Hey Lex, I can't help you on the Thyroid stuff, but TOTALLY agree with your comments on carbs/gluten for PCOS.

I have found that keeping my macros at 40% protein, 40% fat and 20% carbs (from non-starchy veggies, berries and citrus) is the way to go, and I have completely reversed my Insulin Resistance and PCOS. Also helps to lift weights and walk every day.

I mostly plan my days ahead, and always have protein with every meal, I plan that part first and then put the other food in around it. My nutrition has been off for a few weeks now and I am starting to feel quite sick, I know I'm having too many carbs and I've been eating a bit of gluten and have had SUCH an upset stomach over it!

You'll get there - baby steps. Read and research whatever you can and well done on your weight loss to date :)
  • littlelexical
    Options
    @SkimFlatWhite - Thanks So much for your reply!
    I had a peek at your food diary - It all looks so yummy! Especially the turkey! I'd like to increase my protein at some stage - Am hoping to get a second freezer so we can buy in bulk - which also means we will be able to get pasture raised, organic meat for about $6-$8/kg - Once we are all set up to take advantage of some cheaper, better meat choices, I think I will be swapping to a macro ratio much closer to yours - thankyou for the inspiration!

Ps. Im so pleased to see a PCOS'er who also enjoys a regular cup of coffee too - in fact - that completely made my morning!
  • Iverson222
    Iverson222 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS as well and have been seeing a nutritionist for a few months now. She recommended that I try to stick with 40% carbs, 35% fat and 25% protein. I will say that I hardly ever get up to that amount in protein but I do feel better/lose more when I eat enough protein. Also, I still drink coffee too. I will give up some things but coffee isn't one of them!
  • littlelexical
    Options
    @ihodgson - Im so glad you are feeling better and found a nutritionist who is helping you - they are so so hard to find! Was there any reason she recommended a higher carb intake? (the whole carb debated surrounding PCOS really intrigues me!) And do you limit it mainly to 'natural' carbs as opposed to refined ones? Thanks for your reply :)

P.S - I am enjoying a coffee currently - completely guilt free ;)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I've done some reading on PCOS. You might want to try the books The PCOS Diet and the Insulin Resistant Diet.

One thing I suggest is to change you ratio of protein and carbs. Increase protein and decrease carbs. I just skimmed through what you wrote about your diet too. One thing I was surprised by logging my food is how much "sugar" I was consuming through honey, dairy, and fruit. It's not the same as refined sugar and supposedly your insulin isn't effected exactly the same way, but you might want to reduce your intake on those.

Also, when you set-up your food diary, you can track sugar and carbs. From what I have read, those are really important for keeping PCOS in check.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 or 2" w/ Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I set my MFP goal for .5 lb. per week, and lost 20 lbs. in one year. So I lost very slowly, but I did lose.

If I could do it, you can too.
  • littlelexical
    Options
    Thanks @Lisalsd1 - I realise its isnt the Ideal PCOS diet - but, it isn't meant to be, it is meant to be the best parts of both a PCOS & a thyroid diet as I have both metabolic issues to take into account - Which i guess explains some of the anomolies from those who have just one or the other.

In explanation/clarification - For me, the health benefit of my 100g of blueberries/day on increasing insulin sensitivity & glucose regulation, completely outweighs the effect of the natural sugars on my PCOS. The honey has only been a recent addition after reading up on the supposed health benefits directly in relation to PCOS & thyroid issues.
    Having said that - These both work better again (reportedly) - away from dairy.

I am still nutting it all out - it may mean having a purely protein breakfast & having the blueberries etc later in the day without dairy - But am worried that will, again, lead to afternoon peckishness & cravings (which seems to happen with fruit/sugar later in the day)

The one thing which has come up in nearly everyones response is to eliminate dairy. It really does have some fantastic health benefits if you can get it raw, organic & non-homogenised though - and it is yummy - and not nearly as 'bad' as some of the other things I have found 'yummy' but am eliminating... So I will continue with it in moderation & see how I go - with the view to eliminate it If i struggle.

Thanks again for your reply :)
  • littlelexical
    Options
    @Editorrgrl - Congratulations!!! That's fantastic!!! Well done! I have no doubts I can & will do this :) After having lost 30kg in a sprint - I'm quite happy to lose the rest of my weight at a gentle pace - I have set my deficit for .7kg/week (which is approx 1.5lb) until I am below 100kg (220lb) - as this is the weight my Cardiologist wants me under to refer me to a surgeon. After that, I intend to drop this to a lower, more easily attainable level. My Goal is a healthy, energy filled me - Finding that should take care fo the weight by itself - After I am under 100kg - the weight itself will not be my main goal :)
    Again, a HUGE congratulations on your weight loss. That is a wonderful wonderful effort :)