Carbs/Protein/Fat percentages

Options
lisalsd1
lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
I just started logging food, and I am planning to get more serious next year with logging my food. I just followed the prescribed MFP set-up for Carbs/Protein/Fat. MFP had it set at 55% of cals from Carbs, 15% from Protein, 30% from Fat. I'm going to tell you right now, the amount of protein MFP was suggesting for me seemed ridiculously low.

I changed the Protein option to 30%, which gave me roughly 110 grams of protein per day; which seems reasonable for me. I didn't change the amount of Fat, but I lowered the Carbs to 40%. I have a friend (who is a nutritionist) and said do use the algorithm: .8 * lbs to determine protein needs...this is how I came up with the 30% for Protein.

How do you customize the percentages of cals from Carbs/Protein/Fat? And why?

Replies

• steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The amount of protein MFP suggests is what is recommended to maintain your current muscle mass.

.8grams per pound is what is needed at the high-end to build muscle...anywhere from .64-.82 has been found through research to be a good range. People who are active body builders usually need less since the body appears to have become more efficient with protein.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

I then try to get a good mix of carbs and fat. Both are required. More carbs than fat because carbs are really tasty.
  • MaeRenee94
    Options
    I tried a million calculators but what ended up working for me, was simply what worked for me. You're just gonna have to keep playing with it till you hit it right for yourself!
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I tried a million calculators but what ended up working for me, was simply what worked for me. You're just gonna have to keep playing with it till you hit it right for yourself!

+1

Still trying to get that down. So far I'm sticking with 45/30/25 based on a lot of research and several calculators. I'm still researching until I feel better about this macro percentage. lol

But I think it will take a little time and adjusting to pin point what is right for your situation and goals.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It depends...I always try to get my protein goal and use 1g per Lb of LBM but I interchange fat and carbs as necessary. Most of the time I'm right around 40c/40p/40f but I do need more carbs when I'm training. Next week I'll start training for my Century in May and I'll be carbing it up by March/April for sure to be able to log the miles I'll need to be logging.
  • lisalsd1
    Options
    I used the "If it fits your macros" calc...and it looked like it was about what I have now, which is the 40c/30p/30f. I think I am going to give this set-up a try for awhile and see what happens. It seems a bit more "balanced" than 55% carb/15% protein.

I'm also going to read that previous posted link.
  • jsnutri
    Options
    I've been logging my food intake for a month now and I found that my ratios are 65% fat, 20% protein and 15% carbs. It fluctuates a little everyday. Since eating this way, starting in March 2013, I've lost 50 lbs without counting calories. So this is what is working for me.
  • newladykb2016
    newladykb2016 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just started this and was noticing the ratio. I now feel better if I do go over on fat or protein since looking at this.So this is not about being so perfect . I keep saying I can do this!
  • lisalsd1
    Options

Thanks! I just used the equation at the bottom of this thread for setting protein/fat percentages. I actually came up with 30p/30f, which is just what I had changed the macros to!
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    don't use percentages.

-1g protein per lb lbm (when cutting), 1 lb protein per lb when bulking (unless obese then refer to lbm)

-.3-.5g Fat x bodyweight

-Dedicate the rest towards carbs

/profit