What is your resting heart rate?

Options

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate is 42. I had it checked by my doctor who is really pleased with it. I am 62 years old so I am pleased with it. Again my heart rate doesn't get above 149 during exercise but I have managed to lose over 40lbs.
  • scroogy
    scroogy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Mine is around 50-55 when I'm not anemic. Currently around 64. I'm studying to be a registered nurse, and it may be beneficial to understand some basics of blood flow. Lower heart rate IS ABSOLUTELY associated with better cardiovascular health. The brain generally does a good job of setting your heart rate where it needs to be based on different "environmental" factors. For example, if you're dehydrated, your heart rate will be higher. Hydrating with a drink that has some electrolytes including sodium before you get dehydrated helps hydrate you better than just plain water. If you're dried out already, the salt level in your blood is generally slightly elevated and plain water should be effective in your effort to re-hydrate. Elevated heart rate is also associated with stress response including exercise obviously.

If you feel your heart rate is too slow, it probably isn't. It's not likely unless you have some disease process that you will have a heart rate that is not adequately meeting your body's needs.
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    47-56
  • __Angie__
    Options
    Anywhere between 60 and 95 =/
  • leesyc81
    leesyc81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    58bpm in the last few months. In Jan before I started my fitness and weight loss it was between 90 and 100! Blood pressure always been perfect though, even with my 3 pregnancies.
  • Chopstheduck
    Chopstheduck Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Resting is around 55. I think that is down to running, and I'm quite tall, and taller people apparently tend to have a lower resting heart rate too.

I got a new HRM for Xmas, and I've found that exercising it goes up to about 165 when I am comfortably exercising. If I push harder it goes into the 170s. I think if you watch your heart rate while you exercise for a bit, you can aim for a zone where you are pushing that bit harder and will increase fitness. Low starting rate is good though, and I can't imagine why it would stop you losing weight.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    58-62 and I get up to 172 when running hard, long comfortable runs ave out at around 150. At my age quite happy with that.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    high 50's to 60

I used to get to 180 during a long sports conditioning class but now it's usually around 140-160's during running or CrossFit. I generally stop exercising prior to vomiting so I would be very surprised if I could get to 170 without hurling.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Until April this year my resting heart rate was 38-40bpm, i was diagnosed with Hyperkalemia, since then I've cut out most potassium from my diet, and it's gone up to 44. I have like most in my family naturally low blood pressure and a slow resting heart rate.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Does not having my HR go up very high interfere with weight loss? I'm not sure how to word this correctly. I know you need to been in a certain range to burn more, or burn properly, so does having a low HR meddle with the process?

If your RHR is already in the low 40s, I'd assume you are in excellent shape already and don't have any weight to lose.

The lower a person's RHR, the better physical shape they are in. Their circulatory system does not have to pump as much blood.

I'm still overweight by 60-70 lbs. Since I've gotten my trampoline (a big one) and have been bouncing a lot, my rate has gone from around 80 down to around 50-55. It was 49 not long ago, which freaked me out a little. It's really good for a woman my age.

Edited to fix the quotes.
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Mine is about 52 - 54 down from between 80 - 90 at my highest weight :smile:
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    When I started my diet & fitness regime in March it was 75+. Its now 58-63 and the max I've hit was 168 (setting my 5k PB last week). I average 144BPM when running (from my Garmin stats).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My RHR is 49bpm - down from about 65bpm a couple of years ago.
    Cycling has got me to a good level of fitness.

Max (tested) HR is 170 which happens to be close to the standard formula of "220 - your age" as I'm 53.
  • AndyRogan
    AndyRogan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    66, but varies between 58 and 70
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Mine stays mostly in 50-80 range on my beta blocker bp pill so that really does the lowering but also makes it harder for mine to get higher which I know can be trouble when training. Before when I was on ACE inhibitor for it I'd be having resting hr near 110 even 120. Plus palpitations and anxiety and panic attacks associated with the bp and hr changes. It was a scary time. Cardiologist found everything to be normal. Had a holter for 24 hours which showed nothing major or of concern. The echo and stress test plus stress echo(afterwards) was all normal. I almost cried he said its good news I think I freaked him out.

Once when I had taken a niacin supplement that was not flush free I had a major flush over my entire body(felt like I was on fire EVERYWHERE or had a bad burn all over) I started to feel faint and took bp and machine read mine at 38 I believe it was. Freakish low for me.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    The other day I found a blood pressure log from when I was 40, 170 lbs, and on 3 blood pressure meds a day, resting was 105 to 115. Now 47 (almost 48), 148, no meds and it is between 65 and 75. My grandfather died of a stroke at 62 and my father had his first heart attack at 42. These numbers couldn't make me happier.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Currently 60-64 down from 80-85 nine months ago
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Mine is 63-66.
  • Stoicus
    Stoicus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My RHR is 43-46, this morning it was 45 it has been as low as 38 on the rare occasion. I'm 35, 5ft 4" and about 50lbs overweight. Before I started exercising, two and a half years ago, it was 65-70ish. I now run, doing my first marathon next year, and work out five times a week. I have always had low blood pressure despite being overweight. I find my HR max's in the low 180's which seems to fit with my age, when I first started it hit over 200 for the first couple of months and I haven't seen 190 in over a year. To me this suggests fitness has been a factor in my case and some lucky genetics.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Female, 39, still about 30lb over weight. Resting heart rate ~60, drops as low as mid 40's on waking. Goes up to 170+ when exercising.

Been low for some years (don't know before that).

I've borderline hypothyroidism. When it gets really slow, high 40's during the day, I know I probably need a bit of thyroixine for a couple of weeks - I'm generally cold too when thyroid is acting up. Otherwise I think it's just naturally slow. My sister / mother have low blood pressure, mines always been normal, but I suspect when I get my weight/body fat to where it should be my blood pressure may drop. Maybe not, ask me in 6 months!