Pregnant and don't want to GAIN too much!

Options
I'm 5 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. I gained SO much weight with my first two and I don't want to do that again. Sadly, I am starting at about 35 pounds heavier with this pregnancy than my last. I have my calories set at 1,900/day which is a goal of wanting to lose 1 per week. I don't even want to eat that much because it seems like a lot. I hope to walk 3.0 for 30 minutes 4-6 times per week. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to maintain? I don't really think I need to gain a lot of weight, maybe 10 pounds max.

Replies

• ceestahr
    Options
    This seems like a pretty good URL to follow: http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/eating-well/pregnancy-diet/calories.aspx

Congratulations by the way!!
  • supergirl222
    Options
    you should not be focusing on weight loss during pregnancy, but you probably know better then anyone. Just focus on clean healthy eating and don't go overboard with the cravings. 2000-2300 calories a day sounds about right. Exercise is also awesome, i did yoga and lots of walks around the block. to a healthy and happy pregnancy:).
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Have an honest discussion w your obgyn. Good luck!

Edit: And congrats!!
  • MeliF
    MeliF Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm really not focused on losing weight, just not gaining too much.

Thanks ladies!
  • muscati
    muscati Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I understand u. I also am 24 weeks oregnant and was already 30 pounds heavy from my last pregnancy last year. ( this pregnancy was a surprise lol)
    I'm 24 weeks and already gained 20 pounds and my doctor has asked me to try to maintain or gain as little as possible so I came back to my fitness pal to help me.

I'm 5'1 and 200 pounds as of today. A lot yes?
    I was ok by my doctor to try to eat 1700 calls a day but not stress if I went a bit over if I feel hungry. Eat a lot of veggies and protein he said.
    Avoid processed foods.

I admit I was eating anything.lol so I hope logging it in will make me accountable.

Add me if u want to make a buddy.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Have a chat with your midwife/obgyn and get a referral to see a dietician. Also, get moving!

When I got pregnant, I was 117kg. By 42 weeks, I was 128kg. I gained it all in the third trimester. I ate a good variety of whole foods every day, didnt use my pregnancy as an excuse to eat junk food (the baby doesnt NEED it), and I moved every day. Walked my dog, went hiking (38 weeks pregnant, went on a 10km hike, that was fun until I had to pee), swam, did yoga, and rode my bike to my midwife appts until 41 weeks.

Congratulations and good luck.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Hi, congrats! I'm 24+2 weeks today and this is my third baby. I have a 4.5 year old and a 2.5 year old. I started this pregnancy at 154lbs (I'm 5'6 so that put my BMI at 24.9!) and a UK size 10/12/US size 6/8 which is smaller than I started either of my previous pregnancies.

I started a similar thread to this and got totally shot down for eating 1800 calories a day!

Anyway, I aim for 1800 calories a day (I was eating 1500 before) and I go to the gym and do classes about 5 times a week.

I put on loads of weight in my 2nd pregnancy and I lost 70lbs after (and that is since she was 8 weeks old, so who knows how much i lost since the day i gave birth) so ended up about 2 sizes smaller than I'd started my 1st pregnancy.

I haven't weighed myself for 12 weeks now lol, but I can tell my thighs and hips have got a bit bigger, but overall I don't think I'm doing too badly.

The best thing to do I think is to keep active, because that'll make it easier to lose the weight after you've had your baby.

I think some women do just gain weight in pregnancy no matter what they do, so I'm trying not to stress too much.
  • jmyrtle
    jmyrtle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i am so with you guys I just 38lb and now I have to gain some of it back but I will say that I am going to keep up with my exercises as long as I can and log so that I can pace the gain better