Help......Im just confused!

Options
Ok so I weighed myself this am and it says I gained 1lb...: ( Ughhhh...Not sure why. Eating right,watching portions,working out....and I am on a weight loss prescription per my Doctor....what is wrong?????

Replies

• netgirl224
    Options
    Are you drinking lots of water? If not, you may be retaining water..Also, is it your time of the month? I know there are lots of us that will "gain" during that time...
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Could be tons of things. Water weight...your body adjusting to the changes (depends on how long you've been on the program)...stress...muscle gain (if you've been working out)...When was the last time you weighed??
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If you're working out and haven't really done so before, you could have built muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat but actually is smaller (denser) then fat so in the initial stages you might see a slight weight increase until your metabolism kicks in. The good news is you are still reshaping your body if this is the case ;)
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    How long have you been working on it? When did you weigh- morning, evening, etc.? What were you wearing? How much sodium have you taken in in the last 2-3 days? (sodium hides well in soups, processed meats and other foods, canned foods, sodas) And are you anywhere near time for your cycle. Lot's of things play in. If this is your first weigh in, anything could be off. Don't get discouraged. Keep tracking and stay at it and it will begin to show.
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: Sorry but muscle does not weigh more than fat, that is a totally wrong myth! :smile:
  • jacj46
    jacj46 Posts: 46
    Options
    It just happens ... had the same problem 2 weeks ago ... if you are 'Eating right,watching portions,working out....' ... don't worry about it ... it will come off ... hang in there & quit comparing weeks ... the pounds will fade like the morning dew :-)
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    If you are taking prescription meds - you could be having an adverse reaction to the medication - check with your doctor.
    If you are working out vigorously, your body could be building muscle. To build muscle, the muscle experiences small tears. The body's natural response to injury is to retain fluids to cushion the muscle to prevent further injury. One research article I read indicated than individual who is working out vigorously (compared to previous lifestyle) could experience as much as 1 - 5 lbs of fluid retention as a result of the muscle tearing and repairing.

Just be patient as your body adjusts to the changes and tries to find homeostasis in this process.

Vickie
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Muscle and fat weigh the same. Muscle just takes up less space, so when they switch out you may appear smaller while not losing anything per the scale.

Also, make sure you're eating enough calories each day, esp. if you're exercising a lot. If you don't eat enough, your metabolism will slow down and you'll stop losing.

One more thing that I did not see anyone post about...... sometimes you need to "go" before weighing yourself in the morning. As in go to the bathroom. That could also throw your number off.
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! I'm working out daily, and sometimes twice daily; eating well and staying below my allotted calories; drinking 8 8oz. servings of water/day.....AND yet my scale is going up! UGH! It goes up some, then down the same amount, then back up, etc.

I'm not sure what the answers are....But I do feel like I'm getting in better shape, and feeling stronger and more fit. That has got to be more important than the number on my scale! Do you feel like you're increasing your fitness level? Do you see other changes, like that you can walk farther or longer? Do your clothes fit differently?

Good luck, and please know that you are NOT alone!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You should expect this to happen at times. I've seen the scale jump up and down many times over the past 10 months. Do not let it get you down - just stick with it, make sure you're drinking plenty of water and keep moving! Really, you need to plan for the scale to be inconsistent or you will get discouraged far too often on this jouney. I'm down 60 pounds and it still gets to me - just hang in there!
  • shae123
    Options
    Just to clarify...the person that said muscle doesnt weigh more than fat...true but it is bulkier or takes up more space. A good analogy is comparing feathers to steel. A pound of feathers is the same weight as a pound of steel but it will take alot more feathers to equal that weight. With that being said you can loose fat but gain muscle changing your weight and measurements. If you are working out alot especially with weights your body make up could be changing, replacing fat with muscle.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If you're working out and haven't really done so before, you could have built muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat but actually is smaller (denser) then fat so in the initial stages you might see a slight weight increase until your metabolism kicks in. The good news is you are still reshaping your body if this is the case ;)

Actually muscle and fat weigh the same, and it takes a LONG time to put on muscle, usually if you do start working out your muscles not used to being used retain water normally.

Also take into account you will have natural weight flucuations of up to 4lbs either way
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    :smile: Sorry but muscle does not weigh more than fat, that is a totally wrong myth! :smile:

Muscle is actually a much denser matter than fat. 5 lbs of muscle and 5 pounds of fat look much different . Take 2 people that both weigh 200lbs and are the same height one of whom lifts weights and eats healthy and one who's never even considered phyical activity and stand them next to eachother they will look completely different . Even if they are genetically inclined to have a similar build the person who is fit will have smaller measurements . The fit person will appear to be thinner and will take up less phyiscal space than the other. Why? Because the person who is fit has a lower body fat percentage (meaning more muscle) even though they weigh exactly the same. That's also why girlies who decide to lose weight by dieting and doing cardio only can get thin but still be flabby. THAT said DO SOME RESEARCH. Muscle does "weigh" more than fat.

Also, to the OP if you've been doing any physical training your muscles may be retaining fluid for repair. I always weigh more the day after an intense workout. Don't get discouraged try weighing again AFTER a rest day. AND like everyone else said, watch the sodium, drink lots of water and stick with it. You'll see a loss.:flowerforyou:
  • Oliviagp
    Options
    Thanks for all your input!!! I am definitely changing my ways...I went from drinking 4-5 sodas a day to drinking nothing but water all day! I have been at this for a bout a week and I lost the first the few days and now gained a pund back in the last couple of days....I need as much help as I can get on what to do and not to do. I am not good at counting calories and looking at fat grams and reading all the materials i need to about the food before I eat it. I really am enjoying this site and all the motivation it gives me....being a single mom and not having that partner there to motivate me.....i look to you guys for that!! Thanks again!! BE BLESSED!! :happy:
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Regardless of the reason why or why not, the scale isn't always the best measurement for success. Especially if you are weighing more than once a week. You body just fluctuates too much for it to remain constant. Try looking at other things to gauge your success. How your clothes fit, how you feel, the fact that you're now drinking water instead of soda, etc. I weigh in once a week and after loosing 8 pounds in 2 weeks I only lost 0.6 pounds last week. I was bummed at first but I know that the changes I'm making will eventually add (or subtract :wink: ) up as I continue to make lifestyle changes. Keep it up girl, you're saving your life. Add me as a friend if you want. And blessings right back at you, we all need as many as we can get!!!!!