What to do with frozen cranberries?

Options
2»

Replies

• dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I did the same. Made cranberry bread, cran-orange cookies and tossed some in salad...mmm
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Cranberry Chutney. Google some recipes. Freezes well, my friends beg for it.
    Great gift. Nice jar, ribbon. Done deal.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    so good in smoothies
  • currlee
    currlee Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    AWESOME cranberry sauce:
    http://lickmyspoon.com/recipes/orange-and-ginger-spiced-cranberry-sauce/

Just made this bread for Christmas gifts and it was super yummy(I added the spices from the cranberry sauce recipe, but in smaller quantity):
    http://ovenlovinblog.com/cranberry-orange-gift-bread/

I also made cranberry mint muffins this fall. And adding them to smoothies or shakes is a great way to add in those amazing little berries to your everyday. They're beneficial to your liver and urinary tract. They contain antioxidants and can help lower blood sugar. And they stimulate the production of digestive enzymes. :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    vanilla flavoured protein powder + plain yoghurt + frozen fruit = excellent post-workout shake

also I put frozen berries on my breakfast cereal in the morning, and sometimes I eat them right out of the packet, still frozen. Cranberries are not very sweet, so if you don't like the taste on their own, you can always mix them with other frozen berries in all these ideas.
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    FRESH CRANBERRY SALAD

Place 2 bags of fresh cranberries into a food processor & chop into small pieces (don't mash or process too long).

Dump into a large bowl, then process a whole orange, peel & all, and add to the bowl.

Add a large can of pineapple tidbits that have been well drained.

Add a good helping of chopped pecans or walnuts, & stir everything together with a large spoon.

Finally add sugar to desired sweetness or tartness.

We usually serve in individual cups topped with a large blob of whipped cream
  • MalloryMelts
    MalloryMelts Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ocean Spray has a recipe for cranberry relish. Its a mixture of frozen cphole cranberries and orange. It calls for sugar but I use splenda. :-)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    M.C.D.'s New Cranberry Sauce recipe for 2013:

One bag frozen cranberries.
    2/3 cup dark agave nectar.
    1 cup water.

Bring to a boil on the stove in a medium saucepan.

Boil gently after lowering heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cranberries will pop and burst.

Push through a drainer or pasta drain spoon with big holes rather than a mesh sieve. (To keep the seeds but lose the peels.)

Stir and pour into a dish you plan to serve it in carefully.

Refrigerate and it will gel up similar to the canned stuff. Serve it with a little turkey on the side....LOL we LOVE this sauce so much our ratio of turkey to cranberry got really skewed this year.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I have eaten a very interesting cranberry jalapeno salsa that seemed to be made up of the following.

What follows is an approximation, not a "recipe" i've seen anywhere but an estimate based on said "salsa":

1 bag frozen cranberries thawed.
    1-2 fresh jalapeno peppers depending on heat and how hot you like it.
    One bunch cilantro.

The cranberries appeared to be halved and not cut much smaller than that.

The jalapeno's appeared to be cored and seeded and diced small. (I'd keep a few seeds if you like more heat.)

The cilantro was chopped.

It was all stirred together and I wouldn't be surprised if a little lime juice or orange juice or a combo was bringing it all together. Probably like at the most 2 tablespoons of any combo of both.

I'd serve it on a tortilla with turkey.

I ate it alongside my turkey the day I had it. It was yum.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reference.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    throw them at people you don't like.

I recommend using a sling shot.

2iitkyg.jpglevel-2-e1270947855877.jpg?w=203&h=280
  • madtsara
    madtsara Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    They are awesome in crockpot oatmeal -

1 C Steel cut oats
    1 C frozen cranberries
    1 peeled & diced apple
    2 C water
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    clove, nutmeg, ginger (whatever you like, add to taste)
    Some kind of sweetener - you can use maple syrup, sugar, brown sugar, splenda -- and all to taste. I usually use 2-3 tbsp of maple syrup.

Toss it all in the crock pot - cook overnight - I cook it on Warm because I go to bed early, but you can cook it on low for 6-8 hours. This stuff keeps in the fridge, I've kept it for a week. Warms in the microwave. Is amazing that first day, too, fresh out of the crock pot. This is a filling food- this recipe is probably enough for one person for a week.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    We freeze the cranberries and make cranberry relish in the summer. It's really refreshing.

1/2 bag cranberries, frozen (they chop better in the food processor when they're hard)
    1/2 navel orange, quartered w/ peel
    1 stalk celery
    1 small can crushed pineapple, drained w/ juice reserved
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 small package cherry Jell-O

Chop the cranberries, orange and celery in a food processor until fine. Add crushed pineapple and sugar to a bowl and mix.

Make 2/3 cup of liquid with drained pineapple juice and water. Microwave until boiling, add the Jell-O and stir with a fork for 2 minutes. Add to the cranberry mixture.

Pour into an air-tight container (I use a Pyrex 3 cup rectangular dish with lid), seal, and chill in the fridge until set.
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I add cranberries (fresh or frozen) when I make baked apples. I just slice the apple up into a 9x9 pan and add the cranberries and some cinnamon and nutmeg and just a small amount of sugar. I then cover the top of the pan with foil and bake at 375 until the apples and cranberries are tender. It makes a great side dish or desert.
  • Marjrides
    Marjrides Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I make a 'relish' with cranberries and always have several bags in the freezer year round. I use one bag of cranberries, two or three oranges (only about half the orange peel), and two or three apples (the sweeter varieties like Gala or even Honeycrisp in season and cored but not peeled). I have a Maverick food grinder (a food processor would work as well) that I grind all of that into a good sized mixing bowl. Stir in about 1/2 cup honey (more or less to taste) and some cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. When well mixed put into 1 cup freezer containers and freeze for future use. It is yummy to just eat as a side to many meat dishes or can be used in muffins, cookies, smoothies, etc. and is a pleasant change from other berries, plus it has a lot of vitamins, fiber and other healthy stuff. Makes about 5-6 cups usually, depending on the size and number of oranges and apples used.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    throw them at people you don't like.

I recommend using a sling shot.

2iitkyg.jpg

LMAO!!!
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Options
    Cranberry Chutney. Google some recipes. Freezes well, my friends beg for it.
    Great gift. Nice jar, ribbon. Done deal.

^^ This.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Cranberry pancakes!! Either add em as they are to the batter or I have taken leftover cranberry sauce and added it to pancake batter! Better tehn blueberrys!:bigsmile:
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    FRESH CRANBERRY SALAD

Place 2 bags of fresh cranberries into a food processor & chop into small pieces (don't mash or process too long).

Dump into a large bowl, then process a whole orange, peel & all, and add to the bowl.

Add a large can of pineapple tidbits that have been well drained.

Add a good helping of chopped pecans or walnuts, & stir everything together with a large spoon.

Finally add sugar to desired sweetness or tartness.

We usually serve in individual cups topped with a large blob of whipped cream

I think this with greek yogurt instead of whipped cream would be delish for breakfast
  • zodiac58
    zodiac58 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make applesauce in my slow cooker and will generally add whole cranberries if I have some on hand. They add a nice color and flavor.