Sick and tired of being overweight...

Options
Hello Everyone -

I am a 42 year old mom of two kids (18 and 21) and been married to my high school sweetheart for 23 years. AND, I am 50 lbs overweight. I decided to start my new year's resolution a little early so I started yesterday. Quite frankly I am sick and tired of not fitting into my clothes and slowly watching the scale number increase. I feel tired all the time and have little to no energy. I have tried WW in the past but paying the $40 a month and driving to a meeting doesn't sound fun so here I am trying MyFitnessPal. I am hoping to find the motivation and encouragement needed on this lifestyle change. =)

Replies

• Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations on the start of your new life journey!

Logging everything made the entire difference for me, so I hope you will enjoy MFP as much as I do.

Good luck and Happy New Year!
  • kastlekonmama2014
    Options
    Thanks so much! Logging is the one thing I like about WW and MFP makes it so easy.

Congratulations on your weight loss...can't wait to see 21lbs gone.
  • kastlekonmama2014
    Options
    Thanks!
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I can help. Friend request sent.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you'd like to. I've lost 129lbs and about 30 since starting mfp.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I think many of us know how you feel. I have lost 79lbs and still have about 50 to lose and am 46. I just became a grandmother last year and want to keep up with my kids and now my 1yr old grandson. This is a great site to get information and encouragement from. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
    I'm 55 and met my goal earlier this month of 51 pounds down. Started in September 2012.
    You've got this. Kudos for taking the reins before the New Year!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. When I started I was about 70 pounds overweight. I've been logging every day for 200+ days now, and I'm down 37 pounds. Need to lose another 30-40. Not sure exactly what my end goal is.

Take it slow. I set mine goal on MFP to a 1 pound per week deficit. Eat back your exercise calories. Don't kill yourself, you want this change to be permanent. If you make it too difficult, you'll make it harder to stick to it.

Good luck!
  • broncosfan31
    broncosfan31 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40 & have 2 kids as well. I've been on every diet known to mankind, and I have lost and gained a ridiculous amount of weight over the years. Currently, I am near the high end of what I have ever weighed, and it's time to make a lifestyle change--one that sticks for good this time. Looking for some friends and support throughout the process.

I started yesterday, too!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Motivation will wax and wane. Determination is what will see you through! Just take it one day at a time (sometimes one hour at a time!). Don't beat yourself up over mistakes. They happen. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and move on. Weight loss doesn't happen in a day - you didn't gain the weight in one day and you won't lose it that way either. What you do over the long-haul counts far, far more than a single day in time. Develop and focus on good habits and your weight will follow. Don't focus so much on the scale because the scale can be a nasty, dirty B**** no matter what your efforts. The scale is a good tool to show information, but it certainly isn't the be all, end all, so take what it says with a grain of salt and again, focus on the long-term trends.

Be realistic! Don't try to lose more than a pound a week, and even a pound a week can be difficult to achieve! Don't go on a crash diet that's so restrictive you burn yourself out and give up. Focus on small, sustainable changes and eat enough to satisfy yourself. The successful people here who have sustained this for a long time are those that have learned to work in their favorite foods and they haven't given up anything - they just learned to eat those indulgences in moderation.

Exercise for your health, but not to lose weight! Exercise is incredible for you in so many ways, both physically and mentally, but you can never outrun your fork. Weight is lost in the kitchen and you get fit in the gym.

I'm also 42. I have one son and I've been active on MFP since March, 2012. It's been a long, slow process, but I've lost more than 60 pounds so far and I look and feel like a different person. Logging my food is probably the single most important factor in my weight loss. When I am true and accurate in my log, I lose weight. When I fudge my log, it shows in the scale. The second most important tool in my journey has been an accurate food scale. Weigh and measure EVERYTHING. It's amazing how quickly portion creep can happen when you don't weigh and measure.

Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'm always happy to cheer people on!
  • kastlekonmama2014
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!
  • purplepink1992
    Options
    Welcome mama!! You made an awesome choice by starting early! that means you're that much closer to your goal :)
  • melissahoyer
    melissahoyer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It sounds like I found the right place. I started mfp a while ago, lost almost 10 pounds then stopped paying attention. Little by little I started back on bad habits, drinking Diet Coke (an absolute vice for me), I'm currently at yet again, a personal highest weight. I'd be happy for any of you to add me. I'm more than willing to give support to anyone who needs it.

I've always been healthy and strong, but as life has moved on, I've lost more and more focus on the work that goes into staying healthy and strong. I'm a 41 year old mother of 3 (10, 6 -almost 7, and a "surprise" 16 month old) and a full time preschool teacher. I'm married to a wonderful man who has been with me for 18 years! We've had certain stressors in our lives that have contributed to me not focusing on my health and poor eating has really become a fall back habit when things get busy or stressful. As he gets some of his struggles under control, I'm choosing to be inspired to do the same thing.

Good luck everyone~ Melissa
  • Laura_Jean76
    Laura_Jean76 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you'd like to. I've lost 129lbs and about 30 since starting mfp.
    great loss, can't wait .
  • Laura_Jean76
    Laura_Jean76 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good luck . MY goal is to get down to 120 lbs, I am at 200. My first goal is 170 lbs in 3 months.
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me, I was your age and 52 lbs overweight when I started 2 years ago. Just keep logging in everyday and get some friends in your corner who know what you're going through! Its much easier with a support group! We're here for you, so come on! Let's do this! :)
  • nicolegoody
    Options
    Good luck! I understand. I am currently 27lbs overweight. I have lost 15lbs and stopped. I started taking Phentermine prescribed from my doctor. It helps curb my appetite. Maybe that could be an option for you too?
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    That was me last year. I couldn't fit into my size 14 dress pants for Christmas. I refused to buy bigger clothes. I had tried mfp earlier that year but didn't hang around for very long, maybe 6 weeks. So I decided to try it again. Since Feb 1st of 2013, I lost 45lbs. I did gain about 5 back over the holiday's and now I want to lose that plus 5 more for an even 50lb loss. The logging and staying accountable helps, as well as a great group of mfp friends. I don't think I could have done it without the support of my mfp friends to keep me going. It wasn't easy and I did stumble and fall a couple of times, but the difference is I got back up and kept going instead of getting frustrated and quitting. Good luck to you.
  • Bothecorgi
    Options
    You will be fine. Just decide this is the time and do it.