Want to start lifting...

Options

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hello

If your looking to tighten and tone your muscles and (Other areas) you need to be doing a light weight with lots of reps.

So for an example, if you want to squat for glutes legs and abs, just use the bar - google weightlifting for women to tone and you will be able to watch lots of videos.

you will be able to come up with a routine, but im not a professional, this is just advice of what ive been reading when i started to get into lifting.

Take light weights and do sets of 15+ rest for over a minute in between. and add reps as the weeks go on, you will tone up quick!

tumblr_m1vknqkfDX1qeyt27o1_500.gif

*snort*
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I like Strong Lifts but yes, Starting Strength is good too (and they are very similar).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    If you can buy or borrow the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women"
    Read it, cover to cover. Twice.

The program is a bit complicated after Stage 1 in my opinion and your gym may not have all of the equipment needed to complete the whole program (mine did not) and it sounds like you don't have the knowledge to properly substitute lifts.

Look into Stronglifts 5x5 (stronglifts.com)
    It's a very simple program.
    5 different lifts.
    You'll be out of the gym in under an hour (including a 10 minute warm up)

Look at youtube and bodybuilding.com for form videos.
    If you can, get a session with a trainer to show you the proper form.
    If you pick stronglifts, make sure that they can show you oly bar lifts.
    If you pick NROLFW, bring the book with you and ask for help on those lifts.

Don't fret if you can't lift the bar, start with a lighter weight and go from there.

Great reply.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Hello

If your looking to tighten and tone your muscles and (Other areas) you need to be doing a light weight with lots of reps.

So for an example, if you want to squat for glutes legs and abs, just use the bar - google weightlifting for women to tone and you will be able to watch lots of videos.

you will be able to come up with a routine, but im not a professional, this is just advice of what ive been reading when i started to get into lifting.

Take light weights and do sets of 15+ rest for over a minute in between. and add reps as the weeks go on, you will tone up quick!

Ya no!

Starting strength, New rules, stronglifts, all solid programs
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

So much broscience, so few facts.

Starting Strength (or Stronglifts, they're equivalent for beginner progress) and hop over to http://stumptuous.com for a woman's perspective on weight lifting and nutrition.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Hello

nt4-1.gif
  • wide2bride
    Options
    You're going to get really bulky and look like a man.

Um...FALSE...nuff said.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Um...FALSE...nuff said.

I'm on an iPad, can someone post a sarcasm sign for me.....or let me know how with an apple device?
  • ceestahr
    Options
    Looove new rules of lifting for women!
  • meganb2506
    meganb2506 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like Strong Lifts but yes, Starting Strength is good too (and they are very similar).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Great post! Thank you!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Um...FALSE...nuff said.

I'm on an iPad, can someone post a sarcasm sign for me.....or let me know how with an apple device?

hehe I was hoping they were being sarcastic...but wasn't sure.

As for the advice of low weights light reps....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • iamjocanadian
    Options
    Agreed. Glad you did before I got to him.
  • justinproulx1
    Options
    Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, Madcow all the same premise pick one and stick with it. You will be happy you did.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I read New Rules. I liked it. But like one poster said, I did find it a little overwhelming for a beginner. One suggestion I have is that if you are squatting, doing lunges already, use dumbbells (if you aren't already).

6 months of strength-training has done more to change the look of my body than years of running.

Another suggestion I have is that if you are serious...then you might as well get a personal trainer. My husband signed up for 3 sessions with a personal trainer at our gym. I think it was about $100. He really got a lot out if it. In fact, I didn't even go to the personal trainer, b/c my husband was able to show me how to use all of the machines at the gym;and he even developed a rudimentary plan for me (based on what he learned from the trainer and New Rules). And, no, you won't get bulk like a man. I am a size 4 with muscle and some cellulite (still).

I started out pretty light and just 2 days a week (with about 3 days of cardio). I can't believe how much stronger I have become in the last few months. Also, you just have to start consistently. Once you start, it actually becomes pretty fun and less monotonous than the treadmill can be.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I read New Rules. I liked it. But like one poster said, I did find it a little overwhelming for a beginner. One suggestion I have is that if you are squatting, doing lunges already, use dumbbells (if you aren't already).

6 months of strength-training has done more to change the look of my body than years of running.

Another suggestion I have is that if you are serious...then you might as well get a personal trainer. My husband signed up for 3 sessions with a personal trainer at our gym. I think it was about $100. He really got a lot out if it. In fact, I didn't even go to the personal trainer, b/c my husband was able to show me how to use all of the machines at the gym;and he even developed a rudimentary plan for me (based on what he learned from the trainer and New Rules). And, no, you won't get bulk like a man. I am a size 4 with muscle and some cellulite (still).

I started out pretty light and just 2 days a week (with about 3 days of cardio). I can't believe how much stronger I have become in the last few months. Also, you just have to start consistently. Once you start, it actually becomes pretty fun and less monotonous than the treadmill can be.

using dumb bells to squat is going to significantly change the nature of a squat, resulting in a much higher back angle and more tension on the quads and the front of the knee than a back squat. You'll also be lifting much less weight that way, and putting your entire frame under heavy load is what produces the most lasting and profound changes when you do squats, so you'll see comparatively fewer benefits.

In the book "starting strength", Rippetoe makes a pretty good argument for the LOW BAR BACK SQUAT for maximum benefit. The bar should rest just under the spine of the scapula.
  • mordant57
    mordant57 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the plans on bodybuilding.com. They all have descriptions, a complete plan with sets and reps plus videos of each exercise so you know exactly how to do them. They have printable pages too so you can take it with you to the gym.
  • irNathaniel
    irNathaniel Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hello

Not quite sure what was wrong with what I said, Considering I stated that " im no professional and what I was stating is just what I read when I started lifting" Considering Im not female and i am looking for mass gains, it was just some stuff I had come across.

And considering NONE of you said why it was incorrect yet just spouted some stupid stuff just means Im still none the wiser - and there for can "still be a problem with the industry" wait what?

If my advice was incorrect then correct it....
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Hello

Not quite sure what was wrong with what I said, Considering I stated that " im no professional and what I was stating is just what I read when I started lifting" Considering Im not female and i am looking for mass gains, it was just some stuff I had come across.

And considering NONE of you said why it was incorrect yet just spouted some stupid stuff just means Im still none the wiser - and there for can "still be a problem with the industry" wait what?

If my advice was incorrect then correct it....
    No light weights, no 15+ reps.
    Go as heavy as *you* can go, even if it's only the bar. And there is no need to ever do more than 15. That's ridiculous. As you progress, you add weight, not more reps of the same weight that is no longer heavy at all lol
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    If you can buy or borrow the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women"
    Read it, cover to cover. Twice.

The program is a bit complicated after Stage 1 in my opinion and your gym may not have all of the equipment needed to complete the whole program (mine did not) and it sounds like you don't have the knowledge to properly substitute lifts.

Look into Stronglifts 5x5 (stronglifts.com)
    It's a very simple program.
    5 different lifts.
    You'll be out of the gym in under an hour (including a 10 minute warm up)

Look at youtube and bodybuilding.com for form videos.
    If you can, get a session with a trainer to show you the proper form.
    If you pick stronglifts, make sure that they can show you oly bar lifts.
    If you pick NROLFW, bring the book with you and ask for help on those lifts.

Don't fret if you can't lift the bar, start with a lighter weight and go from there.

43591-THIS-gif-ECaV.gif