I got a food scale

Options
2»

Replies

• Dreya711
    Dreya711 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Now I have to get one...I was thinking I needed one, because I had no idea how many ounces my pork tenderloin was last night so guessed. I'm convinced now I need one!
  • Needachange84
    Needachange84 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Makes me want to go out and buy one!! Any opinions on what brand?
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Getting a digital scale might actually make me lose even more weight! By the time I weigh everything, then log it! i might lose my appetite.:bigsmile:
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I just got a digital food scale yesterday. Can't wait to see what comes from it!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I recently got a food scale as well (a few weeks ago). Something I've noticed is that I was overestimating portions of ground beef but underestimating portions of chicken breast.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I like to play little games with myself to see how close I come to putting X amount of food on the scale and seeing how accurate I am. It's an extra bonus when I am exactly there. I'm getting quite accomplished with getting one ounce of cheddar cheese exactly right.
  • uclaxtina
    uclaxtina Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Makes me want to go out and buy one!! Any opinions on what brand?

I'm looking to get one too. Any recommendations on which brand to get?
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    $10 on amazon weight masters prochef kitchen scale
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I got the Taylor 3831BL Bl 6.5lb Digital Food Scale for Christmas and it's been working great. Plus I just looked up reviews and it's got 5 stars on Google's reviews
  • jess17587
    Options
    It is the worst/best thing in my life because the pros are I am completely in control of my calories and know all the know but the cons are that now I weight everything even peas and spread, there is nothing I don't weight and if i can't weight it i don't eat it which makes going out difficult and it takes the ability to know what you body needs away from you because you constantly being told what your amount is from lables and having to messure it out because you cant trust your self to know your portion which makes maintance hard because your body needs to learn to regulate its calories because all the public dont eat exaclly 1000 calories a day...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Remember that 4oz of ground meat is usually raw... it's not that much really once it's cooked (I think it's about 3oz cooked)! For steak and salmon, 4oz cooked is actually tiny...

And yes, cheese. Cheese slices are typically more than what the package said, but a serving of shredded cheese is huge! Sad thing is after over 8 months of using mine, I still get surprises every day, and totally fail at estimating what I put on the scale.
  • judyamk
    judyamk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just starting using my scale,sure surprises me as when I think I have less I have more & vice versa . I shred my cheese for my salad then weigh it, if I do not I would be shredding way too much
    Take care
    Judy
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I just used my scale to make lunch! WOWZA! I was able to add more ham to my eggs, I've been overestimating egg whites and my portions are huge!
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I got a food scale as a Christmas gift. I used it for the first time this morning to weigh out my chicken for my lunch. I have always read that 4 oz of chicken is less than you think which has apparently led me to overestimate how many ounces of chicken I put in my lunch salad. I was shocked at how much more chicken I get for 4 oz!

I am curious to see how much a food scale is going to change my perception of portion sizes.
    It is going to be a big time eye opener, or it was for me anyway, when I first bought mine. You'll be surprised at how big a serving size is for some foods (like the chicken you mentioned), compared to the small serving size of more calorie-dense foods ( ice cream, cake, etc.). IMHO a scale is one of the most important tools in the arsenal of someone that is living a health-conscious lifestyle because it keeps us honest.
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    I got one at kohls this year, it was an eye opener but I think it has really helped me balance out the portion control thing,,,wasn't too expensive, it is a OXO brand
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I agree that getting a food scale was life changing. It's seriously an eye-opener.
  • iamafoodaholic
    iamafoodaholic Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Aren't they wonderful! I always get way more food by weighing my portions. Tonight I weighed out my chicken (3 oz) and it was more than I wanted. I weighed what I did not eat just to see if it was enough not to count, and it was. It was a full ounce. You will absolutely LOVE your scale. Mine never gets put away.

Happy New Year!!!
  • hludwig980
    hludwig980 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I received a digital scale for Christmas as well and I am soo happy with it!! I had been using a small $5 analog scale I purchased at Target 2 years ago. It served me well and taught me about weighing my food but I am SOO happy to have my digital!