Options

Replies

• candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    9m36s
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    That's actually a good question. I never do any distance less than 5K. I should probably try an all out sprint at the local high school track and see what i can pull.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I just PR'd my mile at 6:18, and this came solely due to putting 650 slow, easy miles under my belt. Next year, I'll have twice as many, and I'll break 6. Be patient - it's a long term process.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Not a good runner at all, but my last trek at it was just at 9 minutes. Slow as hell compared to many. But I'm a fast kicker!:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennibear8504
    Options
    When I started 6 months ago I could barely finish a mile in like 16 mins... Right now I'm at about 10:30 a mile, but i'm not all outting it because my goals arent just a single mile. I want to be about to do a 5k without stopping. I can manitain about 10.50 not-stop for 2.5-3miles... Eventually my goal would be 10 minute miles or less... I'll get there, its just going to take time :-)
  • LoudmouthLee
    Options
    1 mile, top speed? 7:30/mile
    5k Speed - 7:50/mile
    10k Speed - 8:30/mile
    Half Marathon Speed - 9:00/mile

I found that stair running, squats and Plyo exercises (jumping, explosive leg movements) helped with my overall speed greatly.
  • LoudmouthLee
    Options
    PS: When I first started running, at 310 pounds... I couldn't. I would lumber up and down the block and hurt my back... I had to lose 50 pounds before I started running.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    A 5-6 minute mile is FAST.

My 1 mile PR is 7:11, and that is tough for me. I hope to do a sub-7 someday, but that's as far as my dreams go.

I love distance running and trail running because it's not as much about speed as it is about endurance!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    That's actually a good question. I never do any distance less than 5K. I should probably try an all out sprint at the local high school track and see what i can pull.

You totally should! With your long run pace, I bet you would be able to do a crazy fast mile!
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    When I started weight training back at the end of June, I was timed for a mile at 10:37

End of July - 9:16

End of August - 8:45

End of September - 8:22

We'll see what happens at the end of this month. I mainly did weight training with plyometrics and sprint intervals mixed in. It would be amazing to be under 8 minutes as I have NEVER done that in my entire life!

Previously, I trained for marathons and have run 3 (Honolulu 1997, Walt Disney World 1999; Austin Motorola 2001) But I was never fast at any of those. My PR for a marathon was 5:32:33 at Austin Motorola. My typical run/race at that time was 5k distance at about an 8:57 pace. I am looking to see what I could do in a 5k now, so I have signed up for a race next month.
  • OhMyLoves
    OhMyLoves Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just started today, my mile walk pace is 22 minutes. Of course as time goes on and I lose weight that time will decrease. But the important thing is I got off my butt and out the door.

Congrats! I feel the same way.

I got off my butt about two months ago and struggled to walk a mile in 30 minutes. Yesterday, I did intervals and completed my mile in 15 min 30 seconds :) This was 6 minutes and 12 seconds off my time from my first attempted run about 10 days previous.

You will get there, and you are still lapping everyone on the couch!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Ive ran 4 miles in just under 30 minutes (this includes hills both up and down). If I were just to run a straignt mile on level ground I think I could do it close to 7 minutes maybe under. I run a decent pace for x amount of distance and I try to increase that distance or run it faster according to my GPS. My normal run is about 8 miles and i maintain on average close to a 8 minute mile. I started out at about a 12 minute mile. I just keep increasing my distance till I was running for 60 minutes then went back and started some interval training nothing Real high just run x distance at a faster pace run slower for Y amount of time then faster then slower. Actually I started out on a elliptical trainer then moved from 30 minutes on that to 30 minutes on the treadmill then skipped the elliptical then just 60 minutes on treadmill. Been running outside now for about 2-3 years and I love it but I occassional miss the treadmill. Easier to do interval training on it and no worries about traffic and such.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    5:18 1600m about 10 days ago for a research study....so my mile time is probably 5:20

I ran a beer mile in 9:14....worst decision of my life.
  • thatch1234
    thatch1234 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just ran out in the rain to find out this info lol. Anyway my mile when going for it was 5.42. I ran 1.8 miles in 9.55. Baring in mind this was flat surface. When i go for my normal jog i actually do about a 9.5 min mile
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    5:18 1600m about 10 days ago for a research study....so my mile time is probably 5:20

I ran a beer mile in 9:14....worst decision of my life.

How can you regret the beer mile? My first beer mile was one of my favorite races this year and I am not even a frequent beer drinker!

Your first beer mile time looks pretty good to me. With your 1600m time (sober) I am sure you have the potential to do much better with practice.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    8:14 last night.

Down from 11:45 in June.

Goal is 7:00 next year.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Ran my fastest mile on Christmas Day at 5:43. :)
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    9m20s averaged over a 7 mile run.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    College days 4:12

If I raced it today probably 5:50 just started running again 3 months ago.

New goal 4:59 next fall.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and the fastest mile I've run is 10 minutes.