Deer???

Options
melodymedlin
melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
Ok ya'll. I'm looking for some new recipes to try with my deer. We currently have tenderloins, roast, sausage, and burger. Any ideas? My hubby says he loves deer hash but haven't ever made it. I love the taste because there is so much more protein and its so much better for you. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm idk how to cook it but I love it!
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Our mule deer isn't as good as whitetail. I make our mule deer into swedish potato sausage. Its easy to make, you do have to have a sausage stuffer though. Marinate and grill. Deer stroganoff. Jerky. The ribs might be the best part...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    no, I love deer, I want them alive.
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Deer jerky is the best. My uncle takes the tenderloin puts salt and pepper on it and puts it in a pan with coffee. It si awesome
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I use the burger in whatever I need beef burger for- lasagna, chili, make it into hamburger patties, whatever. Other cuts are best cooked long and low (crockpot) into a stew or something. It tends to be tough. One stew I like is beef broth, onions, green pepper, squash, cilantro, tomatoes, and cook rice to make it into a nice thick stew.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Invite me over. I'll eat.
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll. :) I used tenderloin last night after posting this topic and grilled it like I would beef strips and served with tomatoes, onions, cheese, and lettuce on a tortilla shell. It was great!!!
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I am SO JEALOUS I love deer - but it's like $36/kg here :(
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've only cooked it once - I had a roasting piece given to me by a hunter (they are feral around here) . I put it in the slow cooker with red wine, onion, bacon, garlic, mushrooms and a bit of cranberry sauce - it came out beautifully.
  • skmart13
    skmart13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Venison (deer) is the only red meat my family eats. I prefer it as it is naturally grass fed (some field grains and field corn of course too). More protein, less fat, no hormones or antibiotics... I could go on.

Anyways. I do as a previous writer stated with ground venison... Just use it like I would beef hamburger in things like lasagna, meatballs, casseroles etc.

Tenderloin is the only cut I will either bake or grill as all other cuts of steak or roast tend to be tougher. I Always put other cuts or roast in a crockpot and cook for 4-6 hrs or until pull apart tender. Then I just use it in whatever beef recipe I'm making ie soup, stew, steak fajitas, pot pie, stroganoff etc. I don't have "venison" recipes, just sub it into any beef recipe.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Deer chili, mmmmmmmm.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Deer is good. The sausage recipes can be found on the internet. Best to make your own recipe so you know what is going into it. And you can control the amount of pork used too. We just finished making ours...testing it for New Years Day supper!!
  • jbuc07
    jbuc07 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I second the chili. It makes some VERY good chili. I prefer elk, but that's just me.. And the meat that isn't ground, I suggest marinating it, or using a crock pot with a tomato base. The acidity helps tenderize it. (IMO) I've made an Italian type dish, and taco soup, chili.

I use my venison in any recipe that calls for ground beef or turkey. You can use pineapple juice, with some steak seasoning to marinate. It really helps make the cuts tender, and gives it nice flavor.
  • ladybuggprincess99
    ladybuggprincess99 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    no, I love deer, I want them alive.

Obviously you don't live in Kansas. They are ridiculous here. I live out in the county and see them on a constant basis. They eat our gardens, scare our animals, and are just plain obnoxious. On an average morning, I will wake up to 25-40 of them in my yard. This makes for a beautiful sunrise, I agree, but they are still annoying. AND they like to play "Dodge the Car"... and lose... my headlights can't take it much longer!
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    you eat roudolf??
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i'm not a fan of venison, but my friend swears you can swap it in any recipe where beef is called for.
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The majority of our deer we get made into jerky and sausage. The rest we grind up with pork trim and use it instead o ground beef . I've tried roasts and chops in the crockpot but it's still pretty dry.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Tenderloin - wrap it in BACON and bake it...SO incredibly tender and juicy!

Hamburg - Shepard's Pie, pasta sauce (I like to put kielbasa in it too) or chili

Sausage - Pasta sauce or lasagne, stuffed peppers

And my hubby just pans fries the steaks slowly in cast iron and it's AMAZING!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    We put most of our deer into jerky...

...and then we eat so much at a time that we're physically ill.

You probably don't want to follow this plan.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Marinate it and cook it like you would skirt or flank steak.

I use a tomatillo lime mix. Basically make a tomatillo salsa and add 2 additional limes, add a couple tablespoons of oil and maybe a minced chili.

Marinate it on the counter 2-3 hours and grill it. Slice it thin and it is fantastic.

Or crock pot like a pot roast until it falls completely apart, 8 or so hours.