Replies

• darthlacey
    darthlacey Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Interesting idea, but definitely not something I would do
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If you're not keen on intrusive surgery, I have another option. Every time you eat beyond your calorie requirements, I'll kick you in the shins and charge you £100.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I think the difference is that bariatric surgery is performed in a sterilized environment with the proper tools, by trained professionals. Yes it comes with risks, as does any surgery but there is a far better chance of having a successful procedure - while cutting your mouth could lead to horrific infections. Not a fair comparison.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is time to realize that not all dieters are successful period, whether they have bariatric surgery, count calories, go on Weight Watchers, Atkins, or any other type of weight loss plan. There are successful people who have undergone bariatric surgery and tried all of the other listed methods of weight loss and more. They are the people who were motivated to make an actual change to their health and well being and didn't lie to themselves or/if there were professionals who worked with them prior to their weight loss journey.

As for comparing cutting you gums or mouth, which is unhealthy and prone to causing infections, it seems a huge way to increase the type of long term problems that will make the rest of your life difficult. Tooth loss, gum disease, infections, poor nutrition outcomes as it would hurt to drink enough fluids or even open your mouth well enough to take supplements.
  • Wifey7891
    Options
    this read was entertaining
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Those reading this post should look at literature regarding the use of antibiotic prophylaxis prior to dental procedures (even minor procedures such as dental scaling and polishing) to prevent bacterial endocarditis. This is a serious issue, especially for those with congenital heart disease. Mouth cutting would be much more invasive then these dental procedures and would therefore increase the risk of contracting a life-threatening disease with very serious long-term implications.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic post. I understand the point of this will be lost on many people, but I get it.

Why have the surgery in the first place, when setting a calorie limit, practicing portion control and incorporating exercise is free and without risk?

Because that assumes people are willing to take responsibility for their actions. Most are not. :grumble:
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you're not keen on intrusive surgery, I have another option. Every time you eat beyond your calorie requirements, I'll kick you in the shins and charge you £100.

Wouldn't it be awesome if personal training worked this way? LOL :laugh:
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Would you even consider making small cuts in your gums and on the inside of your mouth, just enough to make eating uncomfortable, in order to lose weight?
    Glasgow smile diet?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic post. I understand the point of this will be lost on many people, but I get it.
    No, the point is clear.. Why would you think that you are about the only one who "gets" it? :wink: But, it is a disturbing comparison, to say the least.
    Why have the surgery in the first place, when setting a calorie limit, practicing portion control and incorporating exercise is free and without risk?
    This is so true. My sister-in-law had gastric bypass about five years ago and now says she wishes she'd never done it. She lost weight so fast that she go super-saggy skin and she can't eat normally. She also has gained some of her weight back, but was under the understanding when she got her surgery that it was impossible to regain.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Someone out there is going to read this and go "gee, I hadn't thought of that idea. Doesn't sound that bad. I will have to try that"
    This is something I'd consider. Thanks for raising this point, very insightful and not f*cked up at all.

:huh: :noway:
    I'm scarred forever by this.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Would you even consider making small cuts in your gums and on the inside of your mouth, just enough to make eating uncomfortable, in order to lose weight? Probably not.

It sounds crazy, but if you can set your emotional reaction to the idea aside and look at the science and math - this idea actually presents a much safer and less invasive approach than bariatric surgery, and at a fraction of the cost.

I am NOT suggesting anyone do this. I am suggesting that if you or a loved one is ever considering bariatric surgery, really think about what's involved - and learn more about it than just what the physician who makes his living doing the surgery tells you.

You will be risking your life, going under anesthesia, being cut, maybe implanting foreign objects into your body . . . in an effort to force a behaviour change.

(Source - Freakonomics Radio)

Dafuq.
  • tberrycastle
    tberrycastle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great post, and nice to see that there are still some open and analytical minds at work out there. And then, those that aren't....but I suppose that can't be helped :-) In my own experience working in the medical field, it suddenly became trendy locally about 10 years ago to have a gastric bypass. In short order, numerous employees where I worked (In a hospital) signed up. Several nurses, & CNA's, a couple of spouses, 2 secretaries. The first one to go into surgery was the husband of one of the nurses. He died a few hours after his surgery. You'd think that would have dissuaded the others but for the most part, it did not. Even his wife went ahead with hers. Out of about 10 people, one of them developed such severe post-op issues (A nurse) that she was completely disabled and constantly in the hospital with bleeding and other issues. She lived but did not recover and was never able to return to work. She is emaciated and chronically ill. The majority of the rest of them either gained the weight back or suffer with permanent problems such as "dumping syndrome", which is extremely miserable and can be fatal. At best, the success stories live in a constant state of malnutrition to one extent or another. After seeing the results of these relatively few surgeries locally, the procedure was halted here. Cutting your gums is extreme but does not compare to the extreme of having your stomach literally amputated. And cutting your gums/mouth is reversible. A ridiculous measure....but still reversible. So...it is interesting to me the response to your post....the horror at such a notion, such a suggestion and yet gastric bypass has been hailed as sensible. Go figure.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    The OP sourced Freakonimics Radio. Automatic credibility fail.

Are you familiar with Freakonomics Radio? Or was that a knee jerk, emotional reaction to the name? These are the people behind it:

Steven D. Levitt is the William B. Ogden Distinguished Service Professor of Economics at the University of Chicago, where he directs the Becker Center on Chicago Price Theory. He is the 2003 John Bates Clark Medal winner, an award that recognizes the most outstanding economist in America under the age of 40. In 2006, he was named one of Time magazine’s 100 People Who Shape Our World. Levitt received his B.A. from Harvard University in 1989, his Ph.D. from M.I.T. in 1994, and has taught at Chicago since 1997. In addition to his academic and Freakonomics pursuits, he is a founding partner of The Greatest Good consulting firm. He lives in Chicago with his wife Jeannette and their four children.

and

Stephen J. Dubner is an award-winning author, journalist, and TV and radio personality. In addition to Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics, his books include Turbulent Souls (Choosing My Religion), Confessions of a Hero-Worshiper, and the children’s book The Boy With Two Belly Buttons. His journalism has been published in The New York Times, The New Yorker, and Time, and has been anthologized in The Best American Sports Writing, The Best American Crime Writing, and elsewhere. He has taught English at Columbia University (while receiving an M.F.A. there), played in a rock band (which started at Appalachian State University, where he was an undergrad, and was later signed to Arista Records), and, as a writer, was first published at the age of 11, in Highlights for Children. He lives in New York with his wife, the documentary photographer Ellen Binder, and their children.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Lol, the point of this post is ALREADY lost on most of the people who replied!

You are supposed to be disgusted by the idea of cutting your gums. The comparison is meant to make you think about why this isn't socially acceptable, but having bariatric surgery is. It isn't meant to be taken as an actual weight loss technique.

To those of you who say that the poster is irresponsible ... IMO, you should never censor yourself just because some people are too stupid to understand you. If people are seeking out extreme and dangerous weight loss strategies, they're going to find plenty on the internet regardless, and they most likely won't be starting with My Fitness Pal.

smh...
    Well, this is arrogance at its finest.

No, the point is not lost on anyone who has replied ,but I can see that it might be lost to those of you whom think it's a brilliant comparison or something. Lets get real here.

I don't necessarily agree with weight loss surgery, but the comparison to cutting gums is not even valid. Bariatric surgery might actually be necessary for some candidates for health reasons, and certain requirements must be met before one can even have it. However, cutting your gums- no criteria needs to be met and not doctor would approve it.

Bariatric surgery is that--surgery. Cutting your gums is something you would do all by yourself.

Bariatric surgery is not gross or stupid, but cutting your gums is.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I get the point...

...but this thread will still turn into this:

Dumpster-Fire.jpg
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

Are you familiar with Freakonomics Radio? Or was that a knee jerk, emotional reaction to the name? These are the people behind it:

Steven D. Levitt is the William B. Ogden Distinguished Service Professor of Economics at the University of Chicago, where he directs the Becker Center on Chicago Price Theory. He is the 2003 John Bates Clark Medal winner, an award that recognizes the most outstanding economist in America under the age of 40. In 2006, he was named one of Time magazine’s 100 People Who Shape Our World. Levitt received his B.A. from Harvard University in 1989, his Ph.D. from M.I.T. in 1994, and has taught at Chicago since 1997. In addition to his academic and Freakonomics pursuits, he is a founding partner of The Greatest Good consulting firm. He lives in Chicago with his wife Jeannette and their four children.

and

Stephen J. Dubner is an award-winning author, journalist, and TV and radio personality. In addition to Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics, his books include Turbulent Souls (Choosing My Religion), Confessions of a Hero-Worshiper, and the children’s book The Boy With Two Belly Buttons. His journalism has been published in The New York Times, The New Yorker, and Time, and has been anthologized in The Best American Sports Writing, The Best American Crime Writing, and elsewhere. He has taught English at Columbia University (while receiving an M.F.A. there), played in a rock band (which started at Appalachian State University, where he was an undergrad, and was later signed to Arista Records), and, as a writer, was first published at the age of 11, in Highlights for Children. He lives in New York with his wife, the documentary photographer Ellen Binder, and their children.

Good googling there. Dr. Oz is educated and award winning too, and I think he is a quack. I still think the comparison between cutting your gums and bariatric surgery is ludicrous.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I get the point...

...but this thread will still turn into this:

Dumpster-Fire.jpg

This is MFP. Pretty much any thread with more than 8 posts does.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I am opposed to gastric bypass just because I always wonder, "so when you get to your normal weight, how do you eat normally when your stomach is basically non-existent?" I just feel that it is an extreme response to an extreme problem.

But, I think using the gum cutting analogy doesn't accurate get a message across without turning the readers off.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options

and

Good googling there. Dr. Oz is educated and award winning too, and I think he is a quack. I still think the comparison between cutting your gums and bariatric surgery is ludicrous.

You didn't answer my question.
This discussion has been closed.