Stevia Sweetner Or Truvia Sweetner

Options
2»

Replies

• Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I like natural stevia (I have a tea blend that mixes stevia leaves in the loose tea that is FABULOUS) over the granulated stuff. When I'm baking, I tend to just use sugar (the chemistry just isn't there, when I've tried it).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The only reason that Stevia isn't FDA approved is because the FDA is full of Big Pharma and Big Food cronies! Look at who runs it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Truvia is a lot sweeter than sugar per teaspoon etc, so it doesn't really taste "the same" and the erythritol has a cooling effect.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    the cooling effect is what i love about it!

but sometimes its not that great in desserts. amazing in tea tho.
  • apehl
    apehl Posts: 13
    Options
    Powdered forms of Stevia always tasted bitter to me, I almost gave up until I tried the NuNaturals brand. They have a liquid form, I buy the vanilla flavor and it's been life changing. I only use it to mix in with yogurt or smoothies sometimes but I'd definitely give it a try! You can find a good deal on iHerb.com.
  • Debers74
    Options
    How do you grow Stevia?
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have found that different brands of stevia have a slightly different taste or aftertaste, so its worth experimenting if you don't like it the first time. I prefer the liquid stevia drops from a health food store for my tea, but if I use that in my plain greek yogurt it tastes bitter--I use powdered stevia for that and it tastes much better that way. My health food store also carries flavored stevia which I've been wanting to try in my teas--lemon, vanilla, chocolate, several different kinds.
  • Pa11en
    Pa11en Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do you grow Stevia?
    I am tempted to look this up on the web and see if it is feasible to try to grow. After all I am already growing Dwarf Banana plants, a couple Heritage Tomato Vines and a bit of Basil for my wife. Why not try some stevia? http://www.commonsensehome.com/stevia-grow-your-own-sweetener/
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of truvia, I am not entirely sold on it being "healthy" but I can't bring myself to stop using it! To me stevia has a strange aftertaste.
  • sherry_augustine
    sherry_augustine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have tried many stevia and stevia based products. My favorite is the Kal brand pure stevia...i use the powder and the liquid forms for different things. I get mine from amazon. Kal also has some flavored liquid stevia...i love the chocolate-cardamom, the almond, and the vanilla ones!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I know artificial sweetener aren't good for you blah blah. Im taking small steps to a healthier life okay. But anyways does truvia taste like regular sugar.

There is nothing wrong with using sugar substitutes, as they are not bad for you. Sugar is not bad for you either!

Personally, stevia is just 'ok'. It does have a bitterness to it that is strange, but reasonably tolerable IMO.