Turning 40 in only a few days worries

Options
Mid 2013, I thought to myself, turning 40 is going to be bad enough, but I felt I didn't want to turn 40 as fat as I was, so I shredded 38kg, (121kg to 84kg) much more I could of expected, in that time.

In only a few days time Ill turn 40, so far ive coped and happy with the 'new' me, I achieved something, I won't turn 40 fat, instead I look like a slim 40 year old, and so far have coped, but now only a few days ive felt heartbroken, depressed and just cannot sleep, I just want to get this dreadful moment out the way, the 5th of January won't come quick enough, but looking much more forward to the 6th (the day after my bday), as then its done and over.

Suddenly the future is scary, so asking for anyone who's already over 40, which is worse, the lead up to 40, or after you turn 40?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The dread was way worse than the reality. (I'm halfway to the big five-oh.)

Congratulations on all the hard work. You got fit by 40!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    40s have been great for me. But I never put much time into worrying about getting older, it happens. Maybe I don't think of it the same as others but I was told I had 6 months to live 12 years ago, so I celebrate every year and what new challenges that age will bring. I will say hot flashes could stop any day now, but other than that life is fun. Stop sweating the number and enjoy it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    40 really didn't bother me, neither did 30. I think it was 38 that was rough (due to a difficult break up). I feel more confident in who I am and where I am going. It's been an interesting journey, and I look forward to seeing where I will be in five years. Perspective is the only thing that stands in the way of a Happy 40th and a miserable one. You have accomplished great things this year. What do you want to do next year? Or the next several years?
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    40 is still young for any man who isn't playing professional sports. As long as you take care of yourself, you really won't deteriorate that quickly. Talking to my dad, he recognized that at around 27-35 he was at his strongest. Then from about 35-50 that he didn't really lose any strength but was definitely unable to reach where he was when he was 30. All he noticed, from 50-60, was he required some more time to recover from a physically challenging day. From 60-68 he noticed his strength starting to decrease noticeably and his recovery time continually increasing. He has always been an elite, physically gifted person, so perhaps the average person will begin to notice a decrease in strength and recovery time earlier.

I think, at 40, you really have nothing to worry about. Keep living as healthily as you can and you're fine. You might not even be at your peak yet depending on how you took care of yourself earlier in life.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Guess from this point is to keep the weight off, and turning 40 didnt bother me much until tonight that is, just felt like the world by passing by me, just gonna make the day as quiet as possible, try to forget the number.

30 just looks like 20, I don't even remember my 30th, 40 is a noticeable number on its own

Thanks, for your replies, the dreaded moment will just pass by despite the invisible permanent stamp im about to get on me for the rest of my life.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options

I think, at 40, you really have nothing to worry about. Keep living as healthily as you can and you're fine. You might not even be at your peak yet depending on how you took care of yourself earlier in life.

True! I walk longer and have more energy than ever before, I hate thinking 30-35 is the retirement age from fitness!
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Huh, very different perspective. I was freaked out because I was in NO SHAPE to be in my 40s. If you do a triathlon (even just the little mini tri-for-fun ones - and they are!), the toughest group out there is the 40-something. That's for women. But take a look at the men, and you might be surprised at just how strong the 40-50 year olds are :-)

Plenty of people are fit in their teens and twenties. No decades of poor habits weighing them down. Yet, there's a HUGE wave of folks now in their 40s and 50s who are setting PRs. I personally know a fair number of men who did their first Ironman-length triathlons in their 40s or 50s.

This article is rather entertaining, and focuses on the guys who've taken to cycling, but the awesome thing is people are getting off the couch and doing things, rather than concluding their best days are over on bday #40.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10965608

Another fluffy feel-good move is watching The Expendables or RED (and both have sequels). There's a market for those movies: 40+ crowd that still believes in kicking *kitten*.

If a particular day is bothering you, why not poke at that a bit? Are you having regrets about what you have/haven't accomplished? How you thought things would be? You might as well think about it now, because it won't be prettier when you hit retirement age. Most of us find John Lennon was irritatingly spot-on with the line "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." Tru dat.

Look around - it's being said that 40 is the new 30, or even 20 in many respects. Smile and RUN with it!

-turning 45 this summer,

Now off to hike in snow. Life is too short to be getting in your own way.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i never got what the big deal is with turning 40.

age is about how you feel more than the number. i mean the way some people talk you'd think they were going to stuff their pockets full of rocks and walk out into the sea
  • tcmom72
    tcmom72 Posts: 32
    Options
    The anticipation of 40 was worse than the reality. It was quite liberating actually. I turn 42 in February. Turning 40 motivated me and I am in better shape and much smaller then I was in high school.
  • ilgirl733
    ilgirl733 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i feel your pain! i turned 40 within the last few months and DREADED it. It was as though that day was coming and it was a big black hole. Once the day came, i spent the whole day in bed, crying etc. This was not how my life should be at 40!

Looking back, it was so silly. Now that i'm past that date, i really feel like a huge weight has been lifted off. I have embraced 40 and you should too!
  • ilgirl733
    ilgirl733 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The anticipation of 40 was worse than the reality. It was quite liberating actually. I turn 42 in February. Turning 40 motivated me and I am in better shape and much smaller then I was in high school.

i agree with this ! liberating
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 so still in the run-up. For me, it's not so much the number as it is that in just the last couple of years I've really started taking some stock in my life and health and really enjoying my life for the first time and I'm like, "damn...I wasted a lot of time and did some damage here." I tend to think about things like how the last 20 years or so have just flown by...and well...the next 20 probably will too and all of a sudden I'm 60. It doesn't help that my dad recently passed away at the age of 61...granted I'm taking far better care of myself than he ever did, but it's still there on my mind.

I know for certain that I will be more fit and healthier at 40 than I was at 30...but still. I guess what bothers me most is how much time I wasted not loving life and now that I have my **** together I'm like, "crap...I'm like halfway to end game here."
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My 40's have been the best years of my life!! I am fit, happy, and at peace with most things going on in my life.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Mid 2013, I thought to myself, turning 40 is going to be bad enough, but I felt I didn't want to turn 40 as fat as I was, so I shredded 38kg, (121kg to 84kg) much more I could of expected, in that time.

In only a few days time Ill turn 40, so far ive coped and happy with the 'new' me, I achieved something, I won't turn 40 fat, instead I look like a slim 40 year old, and so far have coped, but now only a few days ive felt heartbroken, depressed and just cannot sleep, I just want to get this dreadful moment out the way, the 5th of January won't come quick enough, but looking much more forward to the 6th (the day after my bday), as then its done and over.

Suddenly the future is scary, so asking for anyone who's already over 40, which is worse, the lead up to 40, or after you turn 40?

It wasn't scary for me at all. I hit 40 June 2011. It was a day like any other, I was vertical and happy:happy:

You got this, it's just a number. So no worries or dread. You are going to look back and wonder what all the fuss was about.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    43 here, and I don't even remember what I did on my 40th birthday. I was having a really great time in my late 30s, so what was a birthday going to change about that?

I'm still not bothered about being in my 40s. I do wish there were a good cream for some wrinkles creeping up, and my skin gets drier. That's it. Other than wrinkles and skin stuff, I don't think there has to be much about being older that is noticeable. Certainly the body still builds muscle, etc! No worries there, guy. I think folks usually just don't keep that up as they get older, truly. If someone never lifts, they'll lose muscle as they age, yes. And they'll put on weight as their metabolism slows. You don't have to, though!

I've dyed my hair since I was 14, so that's no problem except now I dye my eyebrows too, lol!
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm about to turn 50 and panicking a bit about that, but my 40s have been very positive. If I was dreading anything before the big 4-0 (and honestly I can't remember if I was), it didn't happen.

I wouldn't advise "Keeping the day quiet." Plan something exciting and a little edgy for around the dreaded day, but something that isn't classical "birthday." Go skydiving. Start training for a triathalon. Something wacky like that. I did a bellydance performance the week of my fortieth--definitely kept me from feeling old and stodgy! (Hmm, maybe I should plan one for the fiftieth, if I can lose enough to get back into my costumes.)
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 in July and I thought I was gonna die. But ya know what? I made it! It's not bad, it's actually amazing! You will be just fine! :flowerforyou:
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It's only a number. I'm healthier and in better shape now than I was at 20 or 30.
  • pa77y
    pa77y Posts: 36
    Options
    53 here... I remember the panic I felt at 39, because of the milestone. But that too will pass! Just focus on becoming a better version of you and forget about the age thing! Accepting friend requests..
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm not far behind you. I'll be 40 in February. I'm not dreading it at all. For the first time in my life, I feel like I've got my $h!t together. (For the most part, anyway.) You definitely do health-wise. So you're already ahead of most people at this point.

Life is what you make it. Make it count, and face it head-on, no fear. Happy birthday! :)