homemade pizza

Options
We're making homemade pizzas tomorrow, with whole wheat crust, organic pizza sauce, and i have some veggie toppings for mine mushrooms, artichokes, onion, and plum tomatoes. What other ways do you like to make pizzas at home? Different sauces/toppings..

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sauce and cheese here... fresh mozarella, parmesan, goat cheese, gorgonzola, everything goes...
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just enjoy a plain cheese pizza! I limit my cheese to 100 grams for the whole pizza though. My family loves my chicken tikka pizza. I buy the ready meat and flavour the crust with korma seasonings, they love it! Ham and pineapple is another fave.

My pizza per slice with just my cheese and seasoned passatta sauce is about 90 calories a slice!
  • jessigoct17
    jessigoct17 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i love making pizza with my family its a lot of fun.. but for healthy option i just buy tofurkey's vegan pizza at my health food store... only about 220 calories for 5 medium sized slices very delicious
  • Crystal01012014
    Options
    I kind of cheat at making pizza.

I make a soda bread base:
    25g self raising flour
    25g plain flour
    1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
    75-100ml semi skimmed milk.

For topping I'm boring:
    Teaspoon or two of tomato puree
    Around 50g mature cheddar cheese.

Very filling and tasty though. Often don't need any sides with it (which is good considering the amount of calories in the small pizza)! :)
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My family enjoys homemade pizza too. We like taco pizza for a twist once in a while. Make your regular whole wheat homemade crust and after you toss or roll it out pop it in the oven for about 10 minutes. It will be nearly done and firm enough for you to spread beans onto. You could just use drained black beans or canned refried beans if that's what your family likes, but I usually make homemade re-fried type beans using my crockpot (granted I have to plan a day ahead to soak and cook the pinto beans all day. To the beans I add diced onion... and peppers if you like spicy... so the flavors simmer together while they cook. When done, drain the water, add cumin or taco spices or salsa you like and mash, or puree with a hand blender). Back to the pizza...on top of the beans add meat if you want (cooked and seasoned as you would for tacos). Sprinkle on a little cheddar or jack cheese and put back in the warm oven to melt the cheese. On top of the melted cheese add your favorite lettuce chopped, chopped tomato, pico, salsa, hot peppers etc. to your taste. Some of us add a dollop of plain Greek yogurt or sour cream. Done, just cut and serve.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I like my pizza with a garlic & herb crust. As topping I usually do plain concentrated tomato puree with thinly sliced pieces of onion and paprika, covered with raw ham and mozzarella. Mmmmm, maybe I should make myself some pizza this week.

Edited to add that this is especially delicious with some fresh arugula on top.
  • darthlacey
    darthlacey Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm boring...the only pizza I eat consists of pepperonis and green peppers :indifferent:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    BBQ chicken pizza

Sweet Baby Ray's sauce
    thinly sliced onion
    chopped roasted chicken

yum.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I like freshly grated cheddar, fresh cilantro and jalapenos as toppings on my homemade pizzas. Of course a good quality garlic-based sauce is obligatory whatever the toppings are. Here recently I've been making stuffed crust pizza with cheddar cheese sticks in the crust, which I've sorta become addicted to.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    We do homemade dough, with tomato sauce, mozzerella and sometimes we coat the dough with flavored olive oil before cooking,
  • JustT1m
    JustT1m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try using squash with corn flour makes a tasty crust.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    First of all, the best dough you will ever make uses molasses instead of sugar. Seriously, follow this recipe because it's the best thing ever.

http://www.larkandlola.com/2013/04/favorite-things-friday-no2-favorite.html

I like fresh mozzarella, grapes, rosemary and goat cheese on my pizza.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I like goat cheese with green olives, mushrooms, tomatoes & artichokes. If I use sauce I add seasoning salt. If I don't use sauce I add balsamic vinegar. Edited to add spinach...which I'm surprised I forgot since I'm eating a spinach salad right now.
  • destructor2013
    Options
    I hanen't in a while, but when I do I use yeast, flour, water, some oil (not a lot), and a pinch of salt. I think the recipe I use calls for a dash of sugar as well, but I can't recall. That's for the dough. Then I use store bought pizza sauce if I'm making a non-chicken pizza. Add pepperoni, sausage, and mushrooms and mozzarella cheese and that's it. Sometimes I make a BBQ chicken one which uses store bought BBQ sauce instead of pizza sauce, then I boil chicken and teat it into chunks/strips and topped it off with mozzarella cheese. Good stuff. :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    vegan cheese , olives & artichokes
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like to use "flat-out" flatbread as a "crust"- then sauce and usually just cheese- or sometimes loaded with veggies. cuts the calories alot.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    chicken
    feta
    pineapple
    tomato
    onion
    artichokes
    black olive

BOOM!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Goat cheese, basil and hot sausage. No tomato sauce just mop it with garlic oil.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    BBQ sauce, pineapple and mushroom
    Fresh tomatoes (no sauce), onion, bell pepper
    Pizza sauce, fresh minced garlic, spinach and onion

I go cheeseless too (saves a ton of calories and saturated fat)
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    making one tomorrow..check my diary. Whole wheat