Half-marathon: Will I finish in time?

I just started run/walking in June and I have gotten my longest run up to 10 miles (woohoo!), but my pace is still averaging in the 15-16 min/mile. I am also 225lbs, 5'6" and worked up from a 17-18 min/mile. I do run/walk intervals and have been really working on trying to increase my pace time. The reason for this post is that I am running a half marathon in April (Nike Women's Half in D.C.) and I have recently become so worried about finishing in the 4 hr (15 min/mile) time limit. Does anyone have experience with this? Should I be worried or will I be ok if I'm running a few min late? I am continuing to train, but 4 months to go and I'm getting anxious!!!

Replies

• gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Work hard, but you should be fine. Really.
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    I'm right where you are and have a marathon may 4th. So you better be fine, lol. In all seriousness though, yes, you'll be fine.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    train but don't overtrain, you will be fine.
    You have plenty of time.
    As for the time limit, what does that mean? Do they stop you if you are not at a certain point at a certain time?
    I am curious because in a recent run I was in there were runners that started in a corral towards the back that were under the time but were cut off anyway. Others said they didn't make the time but ran the entire thing anyway.
    I do think that many runners tend to get better times (as long as they are healthy for the run) because of adrenaline. I know my time surprised me.
  • kate00000
    kate00000 Posts: 4 Member
    I think you'll find the energy and excitement of the race to be hugely motivating, and that will show in your pace. Keep up the fabulous effort and you'll do just fine. Enjoy!!! :smile:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    you'll be fine. even if you do a 15 min/mile the entire way, you'll still come in at 3:15, well under the time limit. but like others said, the race day adrenaline will give you a boost.

however, keep working on it, and start working on your speed!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    There's a training tool developed by Bart Yasso. Read about it here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/yasso-800s?page=single

So for a half. . cut it in half. Tada!
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    I think you will be fine, Just don't over train like others said. You will get a boost just being part of the race pack imo. Good luck ! Running a Half or Full in DC is one of my long term goals.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    I think you'll find the energy and excitement of the race to be hugely motivating, and that will show in your pace. Keep up the fabulous effort and you'll do just fine. Enjoy!!! :smile:
    ^^^This!

I am running my second half in May. Good luck to you!
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Jealous that you got a bib! At a 16 min/mile you should be fine. Just don't get ahead of yourself on race day. Stick to your plan and your pace or you will have a hard time in the final miles. Its going to be tempting to start of faster than you should on race day.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    4 hours is a pace of 18 minute miles.....

You should make it then. If not, why worry? You could sign up for another one and give it another try...
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    I think you can do it. One of the nice parts about the race, is the motivation from the other people will help! Have you tried to increase your running and decrease your walking times? That may help. But you are doing great, don't worry, you will do it-- You have until April!

I am running my first half marathon in April and I have only gotten to 5.5 miles right now, but anything is possible if you work hard =)
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    You will be fine. More than fine actually. A four hour time limit works out to an 18.5 minute mile. At your 15min/mile pace you should finish in about 3 hours 15 minutes - and you won't be the only one. Stick with your training. Be consistent but don't overdo it or over think it. I'll bet that in four months you'll take a little more off your pace without even really thinking about it.
  • Thank you all so much for all the positive responses!! My concern is that since I'll be at the back of the starters, I don't actually get the full 4 hours to finish (if I did, I'd be fine). SO I'm just hoping I don't get picked up by the sweep van, I want to finish and get that necklace!!!!!!! Good luck to everyone else running their first (and second, and third, etc) halfs!!! I'm wicked excited!!
    I totally signed up for that race (entered the lottery) thinking there was no way I would get it! I think something out there felt it was my time, so here I go!!
    I am thinking about doing the Surf City Half on Feb 2nd, just to get an idea of my time and see where I'm at (no time limit issue because there is also a full marathon with it).
    I have also been pushing myself to run faster for longer periods of time, but with more walk breaks. I worry about running too much during training because I don't want to tire myself out too quickly for the hard miles (for me that's upwards of 6 at this point).
    Love all this feedback, keep it coming!!!!!!!!!!! :heart: :happy: :heart: :happy:
  • smittygirl
    smittygirl Posts: 36 Member
    I also do the run/walk intervals and wouldn't do it any other way. When I train I take one day out of the week and just do sprinting, which has helped me pick up my pace. And yes you should do that half in February. After the race you'll be so pumped and motivated to do the other one! I love races. Good luck and have fun.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    My 60-year-old sister (who lost 130 pounds and had previous knee & foot issues) walked her very first 1\2 marathon in November 2013 in just under 3 hours. Don't injure yourself overtraining and you should be just fine.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half-marathon-training/
    8 min/mi—run 4 min/walk 35 seconds
    9 min/mi— 4 min run-1 min walk
    10 min/mi—-3:1
    11 min/mi—2:30-1
    12 min/mi—-2:1
    13 min/mi—-1:1
    14 min/mi—30 sec run/30 sec walk
    15 min/mi—30 sec/45 sec
    16 min/mi—30 sec/60 sec
  • janjanbird
    janjanbird Posts: 2 Member
    Had to reply cuz I saw your mention of Surf City. I ran that 1/2 (my friend did full) in 2012. I echo all the comments ... race day adrenaline will push you faster .... just don't go out too fast!!!! Most races with a time limit don't force you off the course, they just don't give you an official time (hey, not the worst thing). In any event you'll do fine, just keep the training conservative to avoid injury. I've known many marathoners that have PR'd using Galloway walk/run. Just remember WHY you're doing this and have fun ...
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    you can also download this: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Your pace during the race, at least for me, will be better then you expect. Train hard, eat well, and have fun. Good luck :)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I live in the DC area feel free to send me a friend request.

You can do this!!

Herb
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Surf City Half would be a great training run. It's fun and reasonably scenic--and as you pointed out, there won't be the pressure of a finish time limit.

I don't know anything about the Nike Half in DC but my experience is that unless there is a crucial traffic feature to the race (for example, reopening a bridge or major highway at a specific time) there is quite a bit of leeway in time limits for races. You may be asked to move to a sidewalk to finish, or possibly the aid stations might be out of water/sports drink--but usually you are allowed to proceed.

But I agree with what everyone else has said. You should be fine to finish within the limit. Train but don't overtrain and most of all--enjoy it. Adrenaline alone will probably get you to the finish well before your expected time.