I cant lose weight..

Options
Every time I try to lose weight I lose 5 kgs max then put it all straight back on. 7 years ago I was a fitness fanatic and was very active. I was a size 8-10 weighed 58-60 kgs. Now 2 children later, plus bad dietary choices and no exercise I'm 93 kgs. I sat on 80 kgs for a long time but over the past 6 months I was on steroid medication due to sickness and put on a whopping 13 kgs. I don't know what to do.. I was also addicted to coke which I have stopped drinking for the past 3 days and plan to never drink it again but I need results. I need advice on what to eat and how much activity I should be doing. Thanks.

Replies

• Laanah
    Laanah Posts: 7
    Options
    Noone wants to give me advice?
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The only advice i can offer is, you have to change your thoughts to "I CAN lose weight". Otherwise you already decided in your head that you cant. I would be happy to friend you along your weight lost journey.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Check out the "Getting Started" section of the forums and maybe consider responding to one of the threads there. There are some dedicated people that would love to assist you.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You're on a classic yo-yo. You restrict too much, go too hard, and it becomes overwhelming and you probably have some small breakdown, then decide that the day is shot, might as well have all the things you like, and never get back on the horse.

Obviously your history speaks for itself, the whole process is broken. You don't have to give up coke forever- or anything else. What you need to do is take one week, and track- honestly and accurately- everything you eat and your activity, but don't try to change your habits. You need to know where your starting point is.

Over that week, read the forums, and figure out what your TDEE is and how you should set your calorie goals. Here's a good place to start:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Then you start working your plan. You should be a little hungry for a few days, but it shouldn't feel that restrictive. You should schedule workouts that you can actually fit in your schedule going forward. It really, really, doesn't have to be that hard. If you want to have a coke, you can have it *occasionally* with your exercise calories.

I know you want to get started right away, but I hope you seriously consider to take a week to establish a baseline and educate yourself, it will help you slow down and break the yo-yo pattern.

PS. Take pictures of yourself in a bikini or a sports bra and tight shorts (not underwear) you'll thank me later- when you post them in your success thread.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The biggest advice I can give you is don't expect it all to change at once. This weight was not gained overnight and likewise you will not lose it instantly.

What you eat/drink is the biggest part of weight loss. Everyone has their idea of how much it impacts (you'll hear it's 80% diet, 20% exercise, or 90/10, or 70/30. Whatever) but just know that you cannot outrun a bad diet. Start by logging your food (what you currently eat) for a week or so and take note of whether you lose, gain or maintain weight over that week. Once you do this, you will be able to get an idea of how many calories to eat to lose weight. Don't go too low, too soon. Severely restricting calories does not necessarily equal faster weight loss, it just makes you hungry, cranky and prone to giving up and eating ALL the things, so make your changes sustainable over the long term. You don't need to suddenly eat lots of salads, grilled chicken breast etc etc. You don't need to cut out major food groups (like breads etc). Just eat fewer calories for now. Obviously incorporate veggies, fruits, lean meats, wholegrains but also allow room for the foods you like to eat, in small amounts. And drink plenty of water.

You also don't need to become a gym bunny overnight. Personally I don't do a great deal of exercise outside of caring for my toddler and the weight has come off anyway. Exercise, by all means, but don't stress if you can't do 5 workouts per week. Build up to it. Find something you love to do, instead of doing something you feel you HAVE to do.
  • Laanah
    Laanah Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks so much morebean13 I will take a before picture today.
    Thanks unfatuated I think that's my biggest problem I don't have patience and I expect it to all come off fast.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten some great advice in here.

Be patient. When the inevitable happens and you miss a workout or two, or eat over your cals, just start back up again. It's really not an all or nothing thing.

Just try to be consistent over the long haul and you'll get there. And try to take pride in your steps along the way. All progress is worth celebrating, not just the "after".
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much morebean13 I will take a before picture today.
    Thanks unfatuated I think that's my biggest problem I don't have patience and I expect it to all come off fast.

You're welcome. I felt the same way. My start weight (and goal weight) are similar to yours. I was 94kg at my heaviest and now sitting between 65-66kg, and will eventually look to get down to about 60kg. I used to eat 'healthy' for a few days and get frustrated that it wasn't yielding fast results. What motivated me was seeing losses each week. Once I realised I didn't need to eat like a rabbit to lose weight it made it SO much easier - I just don't like salad and grilled chicken that much, and I like my carbs! Learning to fit my favourite foods in was a learning curve but that also made it easier and more enjoyable.

It will happen, but it takes time to change the mindset that you will transform overnight. I blame reality dieting shows and the like for some of it!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You're on a classic yo-yo. You restrict too much, go too hard, and it becomes overwhelming and you probably have some small breakdown, then decide that the day is shot, might as well have all the things you like, and never get back on the horse.

Obviously your history speaks for itself, the whole process is broken. You don't have to give up coke forever- or anything else. What you need to do is take one week, and track- honestly and accurately- everything you eat and your activity, but don't try to change your habits. You need to know where your starting point is.

Over that week, read the forums, and figure out what your TDEE is and how you should set your calorie goals. Here's a good place to start:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Then you start working your plan. You should be a little hungry for a few days, but it shouldn't feel that restrictive. You should schedule workouts that you can actually fit in your schedule going forward. It really, really, doesn't have to be that hard. If you want to have a coke, you can have it *occasionally* with your exercise calories.

I know you want to get started right away, but I hope you seriously consider to take a week to establish a baseline and educate yourself, it will help you slow down and break the yo-yo pattern.

PS. Take pictures of yourself in a bikini or a sports bra and tight shorts (not underwear) you'll thank me later- when you post them in your success thread.

All this^
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to take it easy on yourself while trying to lose weight. By all means exercise and restrict calories, but go easy on it. Don't try to get crazy results so fast. Slow and steady. In the past I've lost like 15 lbs in a month by severely restricting calories and exercising something like 2.5 hours per day, everyday. Is anyone surprised that I gained all the weight back? I was also exhausted and lost a lot of hair. I really didn't form lasting sustainable habits. This time around I'll be happy with a 1 pound loss per week. I know that I will eventually get there if I keep chipping away at it. Exercise will also be only 4 times per week instead of everyday for insane hours.

I would also look at the links posted above. Lots of good info there.
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Log, log and log!

You'd be amazed at how much knowledge you can gain just by tracking your food and seeing what your macros come up to naturally. Then you can slowly focus on cutting away at the poor foods. In giving up some of the poor food choices you will gain good control of your blood sugars and you may find that you will crave those foods a lot less and be able to eat them in moderation as time passes.

The food yo yo is horrible and I was on it for years but as you can see from many of the success stories lots of people take years get the body they want. A lot of people have been posting stories this week about losing lots of their body mass and now focusing on toning up this year. Just keep working at it and you will find your goals will change over time. Work on cooking, grocery shopping and simple nutrition (fruits, veggies, lean protein). Then way later on down the line you can work on getting abs or a flat belly or whatever your ultimate goal is.

Baby steps! Good luck!!!