How will I keep myself from gaining weight after surgery?

Options
I just started getting into working out and I'm seeing result. However, this month I will have a surgery done in my knee. (ACL/PCL) Recovery time will be about 6 months and I'll be on crutches for about 4 weeks. All my movements will be limited except for my upper body. I'm sure I will also lose the "power" to exercise because obviously I won't be capable enough. How do I keep myself from gaining weight and hopefully lose some weight during this time? :( any upper body exercise recommendations?

Replies

• frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    First of all, I would say ask your physical therapist what exercises are safe to do.

Beyond that, watch what you eat. I know it sounds flippant, but weight loss happens in the kitchen.

Good luck!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss.
    Exercise for fitness.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    And just know you will gain an easy 5-10 lbs in the days / week immediately after surgery due to 1) the liters of IV fluids they'll give you during surgery and 2) water retention / swelling during the reparative process (which can last for several weeks, if not longer).

Just be careful of your diet, and you'll be fine.

:)
  • blu_02
    blu_02 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    And just know you will gain an easy 5-10 lbs in the days / week immediately after surgery due to 1) the liters of IV fluids they'll give you during surgery and 2) water retention / swelling during the reparative process (which can last for several weeks, if not longer).

Just be careful of your diet, and you'll be fine.

:)

That's very true! I didn't really think of this. But thank god it's just fluid, I will most likely release it as well. :P And thank you so much!
  • blu_02
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss.
    Exercise for fitness.

Thank you! I'm now thinking how much of my daily calorie I need to cut back.
  • blu_02
    Options
    First of all, I would say ask your physical therapist what exercises are safe to do.

Beyond that, watch what you eat. I know it sounds flippant, but weight loss happens in the kitchen.

Good luck!

Thank you! I will definitely ask my PT.