Breakfast ideas

Options
I could use some help with some ideas of what to eat for breakfast. I don't have a lot of time in the morning because I am trying to get two girls ready for school and out the door so I can go to work. I am particularly interested in ideas that are under 350 calories and have a lot of protein. Please include recipes if you have them. Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Mix a scoop of protein (vanilla is my favourite) into a 0% greek yoghurt.
    Hard boil some eggs the night before and chop up to take on the go.
    Cook an omelette the night before, cut up and eat cold
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Easy, tasty, full of protein.
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs seem pretty easy. I could eat them in the car if I had to.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I eat Dannon Greek Yogurt-- 80 calories and it fills me until lunch.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Overnight oatmeal
    Greek yogurt with fruit and/or granola
    Precooked omelet
    Toast and peanut butter
    Protein shake
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Overnight oatmeal? Is that the same thing as crockpot oatmeal?
  • fitphoenix22
    Options
    These are my favorite breakfasts that I can make in less than 5 min:

Option 1: Banana sliced up and topped with 1 tbsp peanut butter

Option 2: Quickly scramble 1/2 cup egg whites (just pour in to the pan from the carton) while 1 piece of whole wheat bread is toasting. Top the toast with the eggs and some salsa, slam it on the way to work. I'll often eat an apple, too.

Option 3: Mix 1 cup of plain non-fat Greek yogurt + 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (or other frozen fruit) + 1 packet of stevia (or other artificial sweetener)

Option 4: Microwaveable turkey sausage + 1 slice whole wheat toast + 2 mandarin oranges (easy to peel and less messy)

Option 5: 1 scoop J Robb Chocolate Whey protein + 1 cup of Silk Dark Chocolate Almond milk = creamy healthy chocolate milk!
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sunday night make a frittata with whatever meats, veg and cheese you like. Reheat for a minute or less in the morning. You can make it in muffin cups for easy portioning.
  • vinny76063
    vinny76063 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    egg whites & non-fat greek yogurt with scoop of protein
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Nope - basic recipe here, but you can make variations as you like: http://thelemonbowl.com/2013/08/overnight-refrigerator-oats-with-fruit-and-honey-mitten-moms-conference-recap.html
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

I should have said refrigerator oatmeal.
    Here are some recipes you might like. I liked apple the best.
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • Smashlea88
    Smashlea88 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What I like to do is grab a Light 'N Fit yogurt and mix some Kashi Go Lean! Crunch in it, or I will grab a dozen eggs (I like the cage free Omega 3 brown eggs) and I'll hard boil all of them and put them in the fridge so I can grab them whenever because they last a week after cooked, At 70 calories an egg it's easy, I usually can eat 2 or 3 and I'm full, I usually do that 3 or 4 times a week. And sometime I'll grab one of the 100 calorie english muffins and put jelly on it (I get the all natural with no additives) They're all quick and easy and tasty. Oatmeal with berries is a good option too, I just hate oatmeal
  • jamesososki
    jamesososki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The 4 hour body (Tim Ferris) suggests that if you have 30g protein within 30 mins of waking, that it will raise your metabolic rate by 30%, and I love it, and it fills me till lunch like nothing else will. I eat a 4 egg omelette most days. I used to be fully slow carb, now I have taken some of the things I liked from the diet and applied them to a healthy lifestyle with MFP.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I make a breakfast casserole and a batch of steel cut oats for the week.

Breakfast Casserole - makes 6 servings
    Ingredients
    10 whole eggs, beaten
    2 boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained (squeezed)
    6 oz pkg crumbled feta, reduced fat
    4 oz pkg mini turkey pepperoni (or 4-6 oz diced cooked ham, or bacon or turkey bacon)

Mix ingredients together thoroughly. Pour into sprayed (Pam) 9x13 glass baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes on 350
    Note: my oven runs a little hot so it may take closer to 30 minutes. When done, edges are slightly brown and mixture is firm. Test by cutting with knife to check consistency.

With turkey pepperoni minis - per serving - 260 calories, 24g P, 5g C, 15g F

Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats - makes 6 servings, just under 1 cup each
    Ingredients
    1 cup steel cut oats (I use either Bob's Red Mill or Quaker)
    1 cup unsweetened Blue Diamond almond milk or almond-coconut blend
    3 cups water
    1/2 cup raisins and/or 1-2 appled diced (with or without skin)
    Sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger to taste

Add all ingredients to Crock Pot, stir with spoon to mix. Cook on low for 5 hours. Stir and let sit for an hour to cool and finish cooking. Then I spoon it all into a container and let it set up overnight and cut into 6 servings.

With raisins only (no apples) and Quaker brand steel cut oats - per serving - 150 cal, 29g C, 2g F, 4g P
    Bob's Red Mill has a bit more protein.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Spare me the "it takes too long" BS. I can short order eggs in under five minutes. I usually do two or three basted eggs with toast and jam, or with steak. I'll also have them with leftover stir-fry, or fajitas or whatever dinner was the night before. If my kids want eggs I'll whip up a scramble with some cheese, spinach, and diced ham and peppers, served with toast for myself and three kids can be done in under ten minutes. All done under 300 calories.

Rigger
  • laschndr
    Options
    I like savory stuff for breakfast so sometimes I do a few breakfast sandwiches in advance to keep in the fridge for throughout the week. Just toast an English muffin, add an egg cooked the way you like and any toppings, wrap in waxed paper and pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds when you want it.

The egg casserole is a really good idea too.
  • professormudd1
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is 1/4 cup egg white (30cal), 2 Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Patties (100cal), in a Pita Pocket (90cal), and a medium banana (105cal). It only takes about 5 minutes to cook.

Sometimes I substitute the banana with a little guacamole (100 cal Wholly Guacamole snack packs).