how long did it take you to be able to run a mile

Options
any info would be cool :)

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Depends on your BMI and mentality. Even if you are overweight/obese you may be able to.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    When I really focused on making this a goal, it took a couple weeks. I downloaded a program on my phone (couch to half marathon). They have you run intervals- walking and running. I am a beginner runner and have worked my way up to running 5 miles without walking, so it is possible =)
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    A couple weeks maybe... I did the Couch to 5K program (C25K) and just kept going. At the end of 9 weeks I was running for 30 minutes straight (about 2.5 miles at the time for me).

I've since done several half marathons.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    My first run about killed me at 1/4 mile, by the end of the week I could double that, after two weeks I could push myself to a mile, and after three weeks I could run a mile with relative ease once I learned how to breathe. That was running 4 times a week, and I learned how to breathe after week two.

Rigger
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    about 12 minutes, I believe.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Most people will be able to do it slowly within a month. Plan a one mile course and jog (SLOWLY as possible) until you can't anymore, then walk until you feel a little better, then jog again. Repeat 3x a week and you'll be able to do it pretty soon.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to run very slow when you're trying to initially build endurance. Running too fast will make the process take much, much longer.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    You don't have to run longer or faster than anyone else, you only have to be betetr than the old you.

You also can normally only make gains in distance *or* speed, so for now, pick one.
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to realize if I go slower, I can go longer at said pace! A light jog is more enjoyable to me and I can go longer Than if I was going at a full speed.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Took me about two weeks to go from dying at a 1/2 mile to running a full mile, as I recall. I was using a pretty standard C25k program at the time.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    almost a year. but I was out of shape and overweight.
  • burnt_irish1
    burnt_irish1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    About a month before I could JOG (not run) a mile without stopping. It was a battle. Not because of weight (I only had about 30lbs to lose) but because my body just isn't built for running. I am awkward and inefficient. Plus I don't enjoy it. So, if I can do it you can too! :flowerforyou:
  • persistandendure
    Options
    About two months... :)
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Depends on your BMI and mentality. Even if you are overweight/obese you may be able to.

Why would BMI have anything to do with running a mile?!!

OP - I started off barely running a mile. Run as far as I could then walk for a while, then run again. I did that for about 3 months. Then built up to 2 miles. Then I was able to run all 2 miles without stopping. Now about 18 months later I am running 5+ miles without any problem. I'm working on getting up to 10 without dying. LOL

Start slow and each run go a little further. Find a street sign, line on the road, tree or something and push to that mark. WHen you get there go a little further. Next thing you know you'll have run a mile!
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Still trying! HAHA- the C2K Program does work great. I haven't been serious about it at all.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I went from gasping for air after 30 seconds to being able to do a slow mile without stopping in about a month.

Regarding knee/joint health: I was over 200 pounds when I started (at 5ft3) and now I am around 190 and ran 2.5 miles yesterday. I haven't had any knee issues. How much of that is luck, genetics, or a result of lots of hiking strengthening my body? I don't know. I did pull a calf muscle running in September, but that's what I get for running up a steep hill without really paying attention to what I was doing.
  • lexisAp139
    Options
    First time took me 19 min and I thought I was going to pass out!
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Start slow and each run go a little further. Find a street sign, line on the road, tree or something and push to that mark. WHen you get there go a little further. Next thing you know you'll have run a mile!

That was me. I just ran while I walked. I'd walk a while. Then run. I'd run about four or five times during every walk. I'd start running from the same spot every time, and try to push it every time. I'd say it took me a few months to actually run a mile straight. Then, I was running half my route. Next thing you know, I'm running a 5K through my neighborhood. I don't like to run too much because it can overwork my knees. I run a 5K almost every week (but not as much during the crappy weather of winter). And, I walk a lot during weekends. I ran as far as 5 miles once. It was an awesome feeling. I was just thinking the other day as I ran a 5K how far I had come. I can run a 9-minute mile now when I couldn't even run a quarter mile when I began. It just takes time, like anything else. Your experience will likely be different than everyone else's.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Over a year but ended up with shin splints and other health problems. My max is now 3 miles without stopping and I run to the gym everyday which is just under a mile most mornings.