30 day shread in the AM: Whey protein shake before or after?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mullerboy
    Options
    Side steel you have a good physique can how long after training do you consume your shake?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Also working out early in the morning is a known method for increasing the bodies fat burning mechanism. You could fire it up more by having a black coffee or green tea pre workout

Your body does not know what time it is. Working out in the morning as opposed to any other time of the day will not make a jot of difference to your metabolism.

"Fire up" your metabolism with tea or coffee? :huh:
  • kt_731
    kt_731 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Its not the time of the day, it has something to do with your body fasting throughout the night. When you wake up you have not eaten in 7+ hours. I've read it helps to burn more fat by exercising on an empty stomach in the morning.

The caffeine in coffee and green tea is supposed to help speed up your metabolism
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Side steel you have a good physique can how long after training do you consume your shake?

I typically drink milk and whey in my morning coffee. I train afterwards. Then I go home and typically within 1 to 2 hours after my training I eat a large meal.
  • Mullerboy
    Options
    There are lots of opinions from lots of people here but I guess your best bet would be to experiment and do whatever suits you. What ever you post there will always be an argument for and against as we are all individuals.Good luck and keep us all updated with your progress
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Its not the time of the day, it has something to do with your body fasting throughout the night. When you wake up you have not eaten in 7+ hours. I've read it helps to burn more fat by exercising on an empty stomach in the morning.

The caffeine in coffee and green tea is supposed to help speed up your metabolism

The theory behind this is that training fasted will burn a greater percentage of fat compared to training fed. But when you think about it, the fact that you're burning fat instead of carbs during training isn't really important since the carbs you would have eaten pre training, are now being moved to post training where they aren't getting burned off by exercise. (Comparing identical total intakes).

Unless you can somehow show that burning a particular substrate during exercise by manipulating nutrient timing leads to greater whole body fat reduction over time, then I don't think we can conclude that it matters.

I really think that for the majority, manipulating nutrient timing for performance and adherence reasons will trump any minor (or perhaps negligible) differences that could occur by following a specific timing designed to reap theoretical benefits.
  • kt_731
    Options
    There are lots of opinions from lots of people here but I guess your best bet would be to experiment and do whatever suits you. What ever you post there will always be an argument for and against as we are all individuals.Good luck and keep us all updated with your progress

Thank you, I really appreciate all of the help and input!
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. The protein shake doesn't help you burn fat, your caloric deficit does. The protein shake helps to make sure you meet your protein macro for muscle health.

Truth.

Protein functions in the body primarily for tissue growth & repair, so I typically drink a shake post-work out.
    If it's energy you want, you should go with carbohydrates over protein, since they're the body's primary energy source.
    [Just out of a Nutrition class at university last semester, this stuff's still fresh. ;) ]
  • kt_731
    Options

The theory behind this is that training fasted will burn a greater percentage of fat compared to training fed. But when you think about it, the fact that you're burning fat instead of carbs during training isn't really important since the carbs you would have eaten pre training, are now being moved to post training where they aren't getting burned off by exercise. (Comparing identical total intakes).

Unless you can somehow show that burning a particular substrate during exercise by manipulating nutrient timing leads to greater whole body fat reduction over time, then I don't think we can conclude that it matters.

I really think that for the majority, manipulating nutrient timing for performance and adherence reasons will trump any minor (or perhaps negligible) differences that could occur by following a specific timing designed to reap theoretical benefits.

I see what you mean. I suppose if I cut down on carbs all around this is when I would see the most benefit of working out on an empty stomach. However if I continue to eat carbs and eat them later on in the day then they would not get burned off by exercise. Good points.
  • SideSteel
    Options

I see what you mean. I suppose if I cut down on carbs all around this is when I would see the most benefit of working out on an empty stomach. However if I continue to eat carbs and eat them later on in the day then they would not get burned off by exercise. Good points.

Figure out a reasonable total daily intake of calories and macronutrients and use performance and preference to dictate when you eat.