Should I be scared of Body Attack?

Options
I adore Body Combat, it's my all-time favourite class. Unfortunately, my local gyms don't offer it at times I can make. So I'm considering doing another of their fast and furious classes - Body Attack. However it has a reputation as the hardest of all the Les Mills classes.

Is it really that much harder than Body Combat? I'm generally okay with a combat class but wouldn't say I have a whole lot more energy to give!

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience of both.

Thanks

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,420 Member
    Options
    Well, I've never done combat just pump and attack. I personally hate attack because it's so darn crowded you run into each other. I didn't find it to be that difficult though. It's a cardio workout for sure though. Sorry can't give a head to head comparison.
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I honestly think BodyStep is way harder than BodyAttack (and Attack a little bit harder than Combat, but not by a whole lot), because it involves my uncoordinated *kitten* feet to make it onto a step and not fall off.

It is tough, but there are always low options and it is definitely fun. Just like anything else, no one is stopping you from taking a breath when you feel like you are about to collapse.

A good idea is to tell the instructor it is your first class, because then they will remember to demo "low" options earlier and more frequently.

EDIT: My sister is an instructor. Let me key you into one thing. No one cares if you look awkward or miss a few beats. If they are worth their salt they care if your stop coming and they care if you aren't trying. :)
  • cs4156
    cs4156 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have taken both many times. I love Body Attack, Combat is not so much of a workout for me. (It may be because I have tight hamstrings and the kicks are not as high.) They do have low options in Attack, I would not be scared just stick with the low options your first couple times then graduate to the higher.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I think Bodystep is much harder than B.Attack....give it a try there is nothing you can loose
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I honestly think BodyStep is way harder than BodyAttack (and Attack a little bit harder than Combat, but not by a whole lot), because it involves my uncoordinated *kitten* feet to make it onto a step and not fall off.

What's an *kitten* foot?
  • gonesewing
    gonesewing Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think Bodystep is much harder than B.Attack....give it a try there is nothing you can loose

Hmm...really? I have been doing BodyStep 3 times a week and have been too afraid to try Attack :tongue: . I think I will have to give it a try soon :).
  • vicksg1973
    Options
    Thanks guys. On the strength of your feedback I've booked to do Body Attack tonight. I'll take the low options and tell the instructor I'm new when I arrive (good tip) and it's only a 45 min class - hopefully I'll get through it!

I really hope it works out because there are way more Attack classes than Combat classes at my gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's just a work out. Do your best. Don't be scared- you can only do so much.

unless you have some drill instructor or cadre' running you out miles into the desert or woods- who cares.

you're at a gym. You can always just go to the back and do modifications.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What's there to be afraid of? It's a cardio class in a commercial gym. If your hands and feet aren't actually making contact with a heavy bag or sparring partner's pads, these classes are basically Zumba with more aggressive dance moves.

Just take the class, get a spot in the back, and do whatever you can do. You'll be fine
  • vicksg1973
    Options
    To everyone who answered in a helpful fashion - thank you. Have just returned from my first Attack class having burned 400 kcal's and not been humiliated. Incidentally I burn about the same at Combat, if not more.

To the guys who questioned what's to be scared of, I would say that not everyone has the self confidence to stand in a class full of fit young things (I'm 40 and average age there is 25) and be the one turning bright red, wheezing and not being able to do the moves! That, to some of us, is humiliating. If it's not to you, then good on you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    And yet here you stand, freshly back from the class and having suffered no humiliation. Just like we said that you wouldn't. We had confidence in you the whole time and we were right to do to.

And only one of us is a guy