Kale chips recipe needed

Options
laniesloves
laniesloves Posts: 10 Member
Anyone have a good Kale Chip recipe? The one I followed last time from All Recipes (I think) they didn't get crispy enough. Thanks!

Replies

• gloriaeffe
    gloriaeffe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The one I follow is pretty basic but never disappoints:

- 1 bunch of kale
    - 1tsp extra virgin olive oil
    - a bit of salt

Wash kale leaves very well. Then pat them dry with a towel (this step is SO important to make sure they will become crisp).
    Remove stem and cut into little pieces (with your hands).
    Put in a bowl, add oil and salt.
    Mix everything with your hands and sort of massage leaves to make sure they're nicely coated.
    Spread in a baking sheet covered with baking paper - make sure you put them in a single layer (no overlaps or they won't be crisp).
    Bake in oven already hot at 180C for 4 minutes, then turn and bake for an extra 3/4 minutes. Here you will have to play a bit with your oven and see what works best (if you cook them for too long they'll turn bitter, be careful).
    Remove them when they're crisp but not burnt (they will keep becoming crispier once out of the oven too).
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I give up on them. Even the bought ones aren't good. Might be good for you but not nice.
  • justinproulx1
    Options
    Mine always come out soggy or burnt waaaaam waaaamp :(
  • srichar01
    srichar01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Best Kale Chips I have made was with a dehydrator! I just got one for Christmas and I love it already. I put the dehydrator on 135 degrees for 2-3 hours. It's a great investment.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I had those same problems with kale chips recipes too. Once I switched to potatoes though, it was fine.
  • amperl8
    amperl8 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I used baby kale as it wasn't as tedious to take the stem off of them. Depending on how much kale, you can take a tsp to tbsp on Olive Oil and seasoning of your choice... Salt, Parmesan cheese, seasoning salt. Toss it around with your hands or use serving fork/spoon to toss around like a salad to make sure it's coated. Spread on baking sheet so they don't overlap (won't crisp) Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes and it'll be nice and crispy. :smile:
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Every time I've attempted to eat kale chips, I've always imagined the taste to be the same as if I were to get on my hands and knees on my front lawn and lick up some of the mud/grass mixture. Not awesome.

No amount of salt, garlic, or Parmesan could mask that taste of kale *kitten*..at least for me.

Good luck though!
  • laniesloves
    Options
    Ha, yeah I'm with you on the taste. My hubby wants to give them another try though. I was hoping if I could get them a little crunchier that might hide the *kitten* taste a bit :)
  • laniesloves
    Options
    Why didn't I think of that! ;)
  • laniesloves
    Options
    Thank you!
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    This sauce is AMAZING, IT REMINDS ME OF ROASTED RED PEPPER ALFREDO !! http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2011/08/cheezy-spicy-kale-chips-vegan.html

Here are some of my modifications:
    -I left out the sunflower seeds, the jalapeno and serrano pepper.
    -Used soy sauce instead of tamari
    -Used 1 red pepper, roasted
    - A couple squirts of olive oil spray
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    wash kale really well
    dry completely (i usually spin it twice in a salad spinner and then also dry well with paper towels)
    toss in a bowl with olive oil (i used garlic infused) and make sure every piece has some oil but none are over saturated
    place on a baking sheet on parchment paper and spread out so they aren't on top of each other (but they can touch because they shrink)
    bake at 350 for around 5-7 mins, then take out and toss around and bake for another few mins checking occasionally until they are as crispy as you want.
    Put some garlic salt on top
    dip in mustard and enjoy
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a good Kale Chip recipe? The one I followed last time from All Recipes (I think) they didn't get crispy enough. Thanks!

if they aren't crispy leave them in the oven longer.