Am I an Apple or an Hourglass?

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    So when someone apparently has received and is spreading bad information we are not supposed to correct that person since a question was not asked and if we do so we are labeled as "troll"?
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just checked mine. I always thought I was an apple, but nope, I am a banana.

I agree with the others who stated that diets based on body shapes or blood types are BS.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous.

Eating for your body shape? Lol crazy diet crap.
    Eat less move more. You can be an apple, peach, pear, or plum it really doesn't matter
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    So when someone apparently has received and is spreading bad information we are not supposed to correct that person since a question was not asked and if we do so we are labeled as "troll"?

You only have to read page two to see that this person is a troll. Replying to everyone's posts with useless comments.
  • sazroy
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive replies. For those of you saying there has to be a 9in difference can you send me links? I read a uk statistics report and it said 7in or more. In all honesty I've always referred to myself as a peanut haha, not quite a rectangle or and apple and not quite an hour glass. My legs are far to thin to be pear (at least a whole dress size if not more smaller than my hips) and now reading about apples more my hips are definitely too big to be an apple. I'd post a full length photo if I has one :) just curious if anyone knew the required measurements to be any shape :)

You seem to be hung up on pigeonholing your body into a specific shape.

Statistically hourglass make up less than 10% of the female population, you body doesn't happen to be one of them, so what. Be happy with who you are and stop worrying about what label you can attach to your body.

ETA: however if you are bent on needing to know what mathematically defines an hourglass it is the .7 ratio. The closer you are to .7 the more you fit the 'perfect' hourglass shape.

here are some articles,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1306012/Beauty-summed-To-tell-womans-really-attractive-figures.html

http://fitwithmelissa.blogspot.com/2012/10/for-women-achieving-gorgeous-hourglass.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_body_shape

Thank you for the links :) no I'm not hung up on my shape at all, I don't really care, I mean I'm not gonna cry if I'm a rectangle or an apple and I won't pine after being an hourglass, I am so incredibly happy with my body and the way I look, I'm still not my smallest size but that doesn't affect me :) I only wish more women (and men) could love the body they have been given. This whole thread was out of curiosity not out of need or want. From all these links and diagrams I've been sent it looks like I've been measuring my waist wrong anyway, so who even knows haha

I'm glad you feel that way. You are a lovely girl, hourglass, pinecone, or kumquat <----not a real shape I'm sure lol

Thanks hun :) and by all means people's opinions are greatly appreciated (even the ones against the certain foods idea) I just don't appreciate non constructive criticism. Respond like an adult and I will listen to people. I'm not going to appreciate childish or rude opinions (not you, your response was honest and constructive) :)
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

I'm not trying to change my figure but there are real recommendations on what to do to support a certain body type, not spot workouts but some people only need cardio and others may need less cardio more strength training. That's all I meant by it. I've already lost 21 kilos, I love my curves and want to lose weight in the best way to support my curvy figure.

The above idea is merely an idea set forth to market a type of diet and making up classifications of body types to sell it to people. There is no body shape = x y or z type of exercise or diet, just like there are no polar bears drinking Coca Cola, and no Geckos selling us insurance, but they do make you think of and pay for their ideas and product. Yes, I know you don't want to hear that, but that's the truth.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have the same measurements and I'm an hourglass.

So are you :flowerforyou:
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options

I want to know because there's certain foods to eat and avoid and better exercises depending on body shapes apparently. Thanks in advance.

this is utter rubbish!

That's your opinion and wasn't the opinion that was asked for.

Not everything is an opinion, sometimes things are just wrong. Like how body shape determines what you should eat and how you should exercise.
  • sazroy
    Options

I'm not trying to change my figure but there are real recommendations on what to do to support a certain body type, not spot workouts but some people only need cardio and others may need less cardio more strength training. That's all I meant by it. I've already lost 21 kilos, I love my curves and want to lose weight in the best way to support my curvy figure.

The above idea is merely an idea set forth to market a type of diet and making up classifications of body types to sell it to people. There is no body shape = x y or z type of exercise or diet, just like there are no polar bears drinking Coca Cola, and no Geckos selling us insurance, but they do make you think of and pay for their ideas and product. Yes, I know you don't want to hear that, but that's the truth.

I understand what your saying, but what am I buying into? I just meant it as in maybe as an apple I should avoid carbs to reduce bloat etc.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options

I want to know because there's certain foods to eat and avoid and better exercises depending on body shapes apparently. Thanks in advance.

this is utter rubbish!
    I agree. There are no foods or exercises that will change the type of figure we have. The only thing we can do is eat at a calorie deficit to lose the body fat that seems to stay in certain areas the longest. Exercise is a plus because it helps us grow strong and lean, but we all still have those problem areas we need to work on, and some fatty parts are the last to go.

Just eat at a calorie deficit, start doing some serious lifting, and you will see results, thought your basic figure makeup will probably stay the same (in other words, once an hourglass, always an hourglass). I'm curvy as well and love it.

No matter what you eat or how you exercise your body, you cannot choose where you lose.

I'll repeat that:

You Cannot Choose Where You Lose

If you've always had that ratio, it's not going to really change. You'll always be you just a smaller you.

Women who say they do not want to diet because they might loose their boobs or booty ("curves") are just making excuses not to change their diet and exercise habits. If you do not want to change, don't. But there's no magic diet or exercise plan to only burn fat from certain areas and keep it in others. It's genetics.

You can exercise to build up places that are weak or flabby though, which is a good idea, and it's why so many of us exercise while we lose to avoid the 'skinny fat' look.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Baby, you can be anything you want to be hourglass, cucumber, croissant, hexateron....
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

I understand what your saying, but what am I buying into? I just meant it as in maybe as an apple I should avoid carbs to reduce bloat etc.

You are buying into a stupid idea that certain body shapes should be restricted to certain types of diet.

It's idiotic really.

Learn about how your body actually uses food (calories are a measurement of energy) and find out what macronutrient intake is appropriate for your goals, NOT YOUR BODY TYPE, and eat any food that allows you to stay within your allotted calories as well as meet macronutrient goals.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

this is utter rubbish!
    I agree. There are no foods or exercises that will change the type of figure we have. The only thing we can do is eat at a calorie deficit to lose the body fat that seems to stay in certain areas the longest. Exercise is a plus because it helps us grow strong and lean, but we all still have those problem areas we need to work on, and some fatty parts are the last to go.

Just eat at a calorie deficit, start doing some serious lifting, and you will see results, thought your basic figure makeup will probably stay the same (in other words, once an hourglass, always an hourglass). I'm curvy as well and love it.

No matter what you eat or how you exercise your body, you cannot choose where you lose.

I'll repeat that:

You Cannot Choose Where You Lose

If you've always had that ratio, it's not going to really change. You'll always be you just a smaller you.

Women who say they do not want to diet because they might loose their boobs or booty ("curves") are just making excuses not to change their diet and exercise habits. If you do not want to change, don't. But there's no magic diet or exercise plan to only burn fat from certain areas and keep it in others. It's genetics.

You can exercise to build up places that are weak or flabby though, which is a good idea, and it's why so many of us exercise while we lose to avoid the 'skinny fat' look.

The only part I really disagree with is the bolded part. That is assuming you lose evenly. When I was overweight I was actually an hourglass (hips and bust the same and more than 10 inches between my hips/bust and waist).
    As I lost weight, I became more pear shaped. I'm definitely no longer hourglass.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Wouldn't you want to avoid bloat regardless of shape?

If carbs are bloating you, especially to the point where it makes a visible difference, it's likely a food intolerance which has nothing to do with your shape.
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I just checked mine. I always thought I was an apple, but nope, I am a banana.

8K7aWbG.gif
  • sazroy
    Options
    You might find this interesting. ( http://www.precisionnutrition.com/fix-a-broken-diet ) It describes body types and recommended food types.

Thanks for that. I've always had a general interest in ectomorph endomorph etc. I have a mate who's an ecto, he eats KFC and crap everyday, doesn't exercise and still a rake haha.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

this is utter rubbish!

you are joking, arent you?

Get off troll.
    There are not certain foods to avoid depending on your shape. I also don't think you know what troll means.

Trolls are people who are just looking to stir trouble. I wasn't asking for the opinion on foods or exercises. So therefore people need to bite their tongue. I meant it as in some girls can eat carbs and do zero exercise and gain no weight, whereas other girls eat carbs and walk daily and still balloon. Some people say where you are genetically predisposed to carry weight can contribute to how you process certain foods. But this is besides the point because that wasn't the question at hand.

Um, no. No no no. It's not the fact that people eat carbs, it's the AMOUNT. If you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight. Period. I can eat whatever I want, do no exercise, and gain no weight as long as I eat with my calorie limit, and so can you. It has nothing to do with body shape.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Your measurements are the Banana body type. But, these labels are very misleading.

Apple means ten inches or more difference from bust to waist, but less than ten from hips to waist.

Pear means ten inches or more from hips to waist, but less than ten inches from bust to waist technically, I think (but a person can have shoulders that are the same as the hips, and a small rib cage).

Banana means less than a ten inch difference between waist and the bust and hips, and close to the same bust and hip measurements.
  • sazroy
    Options

this is utter rubbish!

you are joking, arent you?

Get off troll.
    There are not certain foods to avoid depending on your shape. I also don't think you know what troll means.

Trolls are people who are just looking to stir trouble. I wasn't asking for the opinion on foods or exercises. So therefore people need to bite their tongue. I meant it as in some girls can eat carbs and do zero exercise and gain no weight, whereas other girls eat carbs and walk daily and still balloon. Some people say where you are genetically predisposed to carry weight can contribute to how you process certain foods. But this is besides the point because that wasn't the question at hand.

Um, no. No no no. It's not the fact that people eat carbs, it's the AMOUNT. If you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight. Period. I can eat whatever I want, do no exercise, and gain no weight as long as I eat with my calorie limit, and so can you. It has nothing to do with body shape.

Yes, yes. Calories in vs calories out. I KNOW this. But for some people the simple science just doesn't work. A fact about me; I lost all my 21kgs when I started eating MORE. I now eat about 1200-1500 and burn about 1700-2000 (when wearing a hrm all day). Maybe I have some other underlying issue I don't know about? Who knows. Who cares lol I'm happy with the way I am now. I'm not skinny but I'm happy.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You don't understand the simple science then... or you were tracking inaccurately when you were eating "less". You do need a certain number of calories for your body to function properly before you even start moving for your job, hobbies or workouts, it's called your BMR. If you truly were undereating for an extended period of time, it can cause a stall.

Outside of medical conditions/hormonal disorders the science works. People are often underestimating how much they eat and overestimating how much they burn with their lifestyle and their exercise.

Also, if you're not weighing your food as much as possible the chances that you are mislogging the quantity you eat is very likely. And unless you're logging consistently aka everyday then you can't expect much success.

*Edited for fat fingering and hands getting ahead of my brain.