HELP! How can I kick my sugar addiction?

Options

Replies

• Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    sugar creates a spike in blood glucose levels and is very quickly absorbed into your system. both of these scenarios actually assist in the process to slow your metabolism down. this is what I meant by your blood thickening, sorry I worded it wrong!!! the gluten thing I got wrong whoops

No, not that either.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I kicked sugar in three days. It doesn't take long for the cravings to die off, especially if you up your protein portions so you feel fuller at mealtimes. I eat five small meals a day, with my biggest meal for breakfast.

Then drop back on the carbs. It's easier if you make rules to stick by. I am a person who does not eat pasta, potato, bread or rice. Easy peasy, now those are off the table I'm left with meat, fish, dairy, veggies and fruit......

It sounds like you are eating emotionally, you say you keep going until you feel "full". Or is that until your tummy hurts or you feel a bit sick? Full shouldn't hurt.

Eat consciously AWAY from the TV. Put out your meals on a tray and don't got back for more, take your time to eat them, it's not a race, and get back in touch with your natural "I'm full" signal. Then stop eating. Don't cram in those six last mouthfuls. It's not a waste. Have your leftovers tomorrow of give them to the dog! Respect your body's needs.

Don't have food in the house that you are not wiling to eat because in a weak moment you'll go for them.

I use these methods with great success when I'm not binging (yes I have bad days too) but this is my formula that works for me to get back on track that is sustainable (and not a diet).

Try stuff out from the suggestions you get from these lovely people who have replied.. Good luck!
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    I kicked sugar in three days. It doesn't take long for the cravings to die off, especially if you up your protein portions so you feel fuller at mealtimes. I eat five small meals a day, with my biggest meal for breakfast.

Then drop back on the carbs. It's easier if you make rules to stick by. I am a person who does not eat pasta, potato, bread or rice. Easy peasy, now those are off the table I'm left with meat, fish, dairy, veggies and fruit......

It sounds like you are eating emotionally, you say you keep going until you feel "full". Or is that until your tummy hurts or you feel a bit sick? Full shouldn't hurt.

Eat consciously AWAY from the TV. Put out your meals on a tray and don't got back for more, take your time to eat them, it's not a race, and get back in touch with your natural "I'm full" signal. Then stop eating. Don't cram in those six last mouthfuls. It's not a waste. Have your leftovers tomorrow of give them to the dog! Respect your body's needs.

Don't have food in the house that you are not wiling to eat because in a weak moment you'll go for them.

I use these methods with great success when I'm not binging (yes I have bad days too) but this is my formula that works for me to get back on track that is sustainable (and not a diet).

Try stuff out from the suggestions you get from these lovely people who have replied.. Good luck!

Very good, practical advise.

I would add that you should focus on what you can and are going to eat rather than what you are avoiding.
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    I have been eating a Paleo diet for a while and it has been amazing for my body. Eating like a cave man, lol so no grains , legumes, dairy white potatoes, processed foods, salt and refined vegetable oils, Has any one else tried this, would love to hear how its going??
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a Paleo diet for a while and it has been amazing for my body. Eating like a cave man, lol so no grains , legumes, dairy white potatoes, processed foods, salt and refined vegetable oils, Has any one else tried this, would love to hear how its going??

Paleo is somewhat common. Just don't convince yourself that the way you're eating in any way resembles what cavemen ate.
  • saradord
    Options
    Obviously I'm not !!!!! I'm not going out an killing animlas , and killing anilmals for their fur!!!
  • saradord
    Options
    I have done alot of research on paleo and have stuck with it for a year and I'm training hardcore so i think I know i'm not a cave man thanx!! ahahaha
  • pianochick5254
    Options

Paleo is somewhat common. Just don't convince yourself that the way you're eating in any way resembles what cavemen ate.

^ yup
  • saradord
    Options
    so have you tried paleo?? would like to hear how other people have done?
  • pianochick5254
    Options
    so have you tried paleo?? would like to hear how other people have done?

I tried it but I really didn't like it. I lost an amazing amount of weight in the month that I tried it and all that but I felt gross and honestly I could barely afford it. Rice and potatoes are way cheaper than meat. The weight loss wasn't worth it to me. And besides, yes I eat meat and stuff like that, but I really do try not to eat a whole lot of it and I'm trying to cut back down into veganism. Slowly but surely.
  • saradord
    Options
    thats good! but I hear you on the cost, it is expensive and you really have to plan your meals and always have fresh fruits and veggies on hand! i've stuck with it cause it I eat wheat products I blow up , lol and after haveing 2 kids didnt do my body good, lol
  • saradord
    Options
    deffinetely do not eat ice cream before you go to bed , if your gonna eat something sweet do it earlier in the day or set a side one day of the week for a cheat day.
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I personally have a sweet tooth myself so I understand where you are coming from. I personally do not restrict myself and do indulge here and there but not to the extreme. Key is moderation and indentifying when you will be allowing yourself to indulge, time/day and place. So for example, like yesterday I wanted a Starbucks frappucino, and before hand I planned on going in and ordering a tall , light with no whip...but then my brother tempted with with an ice cream sandwich and chose to eat that instead of the frapuccino. Another thing that i found helpful is to just not have any sugary or junk food in my home period! Because I know myself and I know if I am awake late at night I am prone to go in that kitchen and eat it. If its not in the house then you wont eat or even think about it.
  • gadd3000
    Options
    Some doctors say that chromium picolinate help deal with sweet cravings, so that is obviously worth a shot, but why use drugs when you can accept the challenge to exercise will power. I am like you in that I love sweets, and I had kicked my addiction, but I let it creep back into my life. The problem is that the cravings have become part of your habits. The first step I recommend is to kick all sweets except fresh fruit for 21 days. This is your chance to break the habit and gain back some will power.

From there the challenge becomes how to indulge properly and responsibly. The absolute best way is just to plan your meals out a week in advance, only eat what you say you are going to eat. This way you can manage your sweets. Another option is to reward yourself with sweets only after you earn them. I lost 120 pounds and I ate ice cream virtually everyday. During that time I was working out for over 2 hours every day and as soon as I finished I went to dairy queen and got a chocolate sundae. It was one of their lowest calorie items and I felt great after eating it, plus I burned so many calories during my workout that it didn't make a difference. You can also try weight watchers, which I have also done. It becomes very quick once you get the hang of it.

Regardless, you have to make eating healthy a priority. You have to plan in advance and you have to commit. It's easy to not do something, i.e. not eat sweets for 21 days. The hard part is being disciplined enough to do something, in this case, always plan ahead. As long as you plan ahead then you remain vigilant then you will be successful.

A bonus tip, which is the most important tip, is to accept that you will not be perfect, but use a bad meal as an excuse for a bad day, which then becomes a bad week. Often times people, myself included, will make a mistake and then just tank the whole day away. Now the next day your are back battling those same cravings. Planning in advance will limit the screw ups because you will always know a treat is coming, but sometimes you just show up at work and somebody is giving away snickers, or cake, whatever. Just enjoy it, brush your teeth and move on back to what you were doing.

Bonus tip 2, always brush your teeth after a meal, especially one containing processed foods.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I swapped soda with water and stopped dumping sugar in my cereal. As far as dessert goes, I replaced it with a cup of herbal tea - not the same effect as a bunch of cookies, but for me it was just the habit of having something before bed
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    deffinetely do not eat ice cream before you go to bed , if your gonna eat something sweet do it earlier in the day or set a side one day of the week for a cheat day.

Why not before bed? There is nothing wrong with timing your meals and treats to whatever suits your fancy.
  • saradord
    Options
    I guess but dont they say not to eat before going to bed,??? I just know that it better for me not too, lol but if its ok for someone else
  • saradord
    Options
    Thats soo true, its the little things, One step at a time!!:smile:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Is there a reason for this....?

Ice cream before bed (or in bed) is one of life's great joys.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I guess but dont they say not to eat before going to bed,??? I just know that it better for me not too, lol but if its ok for someone else
    "They" say that, as well as lots of other things. Fortunately, meal timing is something you can cheerfully ignore, barring specific medical advice to the contrary.