Am I an Apple or an Hourglass?

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    What and how much you should eat does not change simply because you identify as a certain type of fruit.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Traditional hourglass has the same bust and hip measurement. Apple is larger bust than hip. So I would say neither... I would say pear.

to be a pear, it is said the ratio between waist and hips should be smaller than 0.7..I don't think OP's ratio is within that range...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I want to know because there's certain foods to eat and avoid and better exercises depending on body shapes apparently. Thanks in advance.

this is utter rubbish!

That's your opinion and wasn't the opinion that was asked for.

you are joking, arent you?

Get off troll.
    There are not certain foods to avoid depending on your shape. I also don't think you know what troll means.

Trolls are people who are just looking to stir trouble. I wasn't asking for the opinion on foods or exercises. So therefore people need to bite their tongue. I meant it as in some girls can eat carbs and do zero exercise and gain no weight, whereas other girls eat carbs and walk daily and still balloon. Some people say where you are genetically predisposed to carry weight can contribute to how you process certain foods. But this is besides the point because that wasn't the question at hand.

Um, no. No no no. It's not the fact that people eat carbs, it's the AMOUNT. If you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight. Period. I can eat whatever I want, do no exercise, and gain no weight as long as I eat with my calorie limit, and so can you. It has nothing to do with body shape.

Yes, yes. Calories in vs calories out. I KNOW this. But for some people the simple science just doesn't work. A fact about me; I lost all my 21kgs when I started eating MORE. I now eat about 1200-1500 and burn about 1700-2000 (when wearing a hrm all day). Maybe I have some other underlying issue I don't know about? Who knows. Who cares lol I'm happy with the way I am now. I'm not skinny but I'm happy.

HRMs are not supposed to be worn all day. The calorie estimation is based on steady state moderate intensity cardio. You will be an over inflated burn using the HRM during low intensity activities. It cannot give you your daily energy requirements.

Also - somotypes (ectomorph, endomorph) is another outdated theory. It was a theory from a psychiatrist who was looking for correlations between body type and personality. It was based on observations and never backed by actual science.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

Yes, yes. Calories in vs calories out. I KNOW this. But for some people the simple science just doesn't work. A fact about me; I lost all my 21kgs when I started eating MORE. I now eat about 1200-1500 and burn about 1700-2000 (when wearing a hrm all day). Maybe I have some other underlying issue I don't know about? Who knows. Who cares lol I'm happy with the way I am now. I'm not skinny but I'm happy.

Not a pear, apple, hourglass. You are a special snowflake. Nothing will work for you, not science, not common sense, just unicorn pixie dust. Or maybe whatever Dr Oz is touting today.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options

I want to know because there's certain foods to eat and avoid and better exercises depending on body shapes apparently. Thanks in advance.

wtf_zps1606064c.gif
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with any of these ideas for diet based on fruit body labels, but keywords like 'central adiposity' and 'sagittal abdominal diameter' will certainly lead folks to research about insulin disorders and cardiovascular risks based on body fat distribution. There are, in fact, dietary and exercise interventions for those health concerns.

I don't know what the fruit people say ;) but the overall idea is not crazy at all. Not in the least.
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with any of these ideas for diet based on fruit body labels, but keywords like 'central adiposity' and 'sagittal abdominal diameter' will certainly lead folks to research about insulin disorders and cardiovascular risks based on body fat distribution. There are, in fact, dietary and exercise interventions for those health concerns.

I don't know what the fruit people say ;) but the overall idea is not crazy at all. Not in the least.

Thank you. Fruit is just easier ways to describe body shape.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

this is utter rubbish!

you are joking, arent you?

Get off troll.
    There are not certain foods to avoid depending on your shape. I also don't think you know what troll means.

Trolls are people who are just looking to stir trouble. I wasn't asking for the opinion on foods or exercises. So therefore people need to bite their tongue. I meant it as in some girls can eat carbs and do zero exercise and gain no weight, whereas other girls eat carbs and walk daily and still balloon. Some people say where you are genetically predisposed to carry weight can contribute to how you process certain foods. But this is besides the point because that wasn't the question at hand.

Um, no. No no no. It's not the fact that people eat carbs, it's the AMOUNT. If you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight. Period. I can eat whatever I want, do no exercise, and gain no weight as long as I eat with my calorie limit, and so can you. It has nothing to do with body shape.

DING DING DING! THIS
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    well my measurements are

36 bust

29 waist

41 hips

what the hell shape am I ? lol
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Do me, too :)

Bust: 41
    Waist: 31 (for now!)
    Hips: 40.5

My 'pinch an inch' spots are definitely still my love handles/waist. The rest I could totally live with.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    well my measurements are

36 bust

29 waist

41 hips

what the hell shape am I ? lol

Pear. Those are almost identical to my measurements.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Do me, too :)

Bust: 41
    Waist: 31 (for now!)
    Hips: 40.5

My 'pinch an inch' spots are definitely still my love handles/waist. The rest I could totally live with.

I would say hourglass.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I now eat about 1200-1500 and burn about 1700-2000 (when wearing a hrm all day).

I hope you know this isn't an accurate number. HRMs don't work that way.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    How is an hourglass a fruit? Silly thread.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    in…to understand how food types impact body types….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I now eat about 1200-1500 and burn about 1700-2000 (when wearing a hrm all day).

I hope you know this isn't an accurate number. HRMs don't work that way.

so OP has a negative intake?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You might find this interesting. ( http://www.precisionnutrition.com/fix-a-broken-diet ) It describes body types and recommended food types.

I'm glad you posted this. It's very interesting and makes a lot of sense.

I hope this is sarcasm. If not, you seem to keep on discrediting yourself.

the discrediting thought crossed my mind too ...
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm not trying to change my figure but there are real recommendations on what to do to support a certain body type, not spot workouts but some people only need cardio and others may need less cardio more strength training. That's all I meant by it. I've already lost 21 kilos, I love my curves and want to lose weight in the best way to support my curvy figure.

The above idea is merely an idea set forth to market a type of diet and making up classifications of body types to sell it to people. There is no body shape = x y or z type of exercise or diet, just like there are no polar bears drinking Coca Cola, and no Geckos selling us insurance, but they do make you think of and pay for their ideas and product. Yes, I know you don't want to hear that, but that's the truth.

I understand what your saying, but what am I buying into? I just meant it as in maybe as an apple I should avoid carbs to reduce bloat etc.

actually if you are an apple, you should avoid carrots….that is the key
  • SirDoctorofTARDIS
    SirDoctorofTARDIS Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    That's not an opinion. It's a fact that is well established through many peer reviewed scientific article. But what do I know with a BA in Health and Physical Education with an emphasis in Athletic Training or my MS in Kinesiology...

this is utter rubbish!

• susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options

this is utter rubbish!

Yup. ....take the time and effort spent reading the apple versus hourglass material and just enjoy your life, hit the gym and eat healthy portions.