Living with a healthy guy....

Options
How do people go on diets and completely change their eating habits when they live with a guy who is extremely active and has a fantastic metabolism ??? He eats exactly what he wants because even if he did gain weight he loses so easy, without trying.

Replies

• Eketahunachick
    Options
    My husband islike this exactly .He has a high metabolism and I hate him for it lol. He does work on a dairy farm though so its alot of lifting and moving around etc
  • jpanderson9
    jpanderson9 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is a toughie!! My husband isn't super healthy but I know what it's like to try to watch what you eat while food is everywhere. I can't stand to see sweets, chocolate, chips or stuff laying around. If I see it, I eat it. I set all the bad stuff in one place in a cupboard that I don't access very much. I've even asked my husband to leave cookies in the garage :). I drink a big glass of water whenever I get the urge to raid the cabinet and have gum on hand or brush my teeth. I'm sure your guy will be supportive, ask him to limit crap in the house and be supportive/encouraging. Lucky for you if you can get him to workout with you! Also, I kind of give myself the first 2 weeks when I'm getting back into an exercise routine to be nice and not get upset if I eat something bad. After 2-3 weeks, I've put in so much hard work, I naturally start making better choices and feeling really good about myself and my will power. You can do it!
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Communication and compromise.

Example: I make 3 days worth of my meals at a time, to save time. I have eggs, egg whites & oatmeal that I eat every morning. If I am the first one up or if my Beautiful Wife is getting ready for work I will cook her pancakes, french toast, whatever while I eat my healthy breakfast.

There are granola bars and ice cream in the house just in case she wants some and I have carrots, celery, raw nuts, Greek yogurt , etc.. in the house for when I want to snack.

Dinners can be more complicated, but as long as we both have what we need, we are good to go. I have my baked yam and baked chicken and she uses the chicken on fettuccine noodles for Chicken fettuccine. We may do stuffed bell peppers together and we just have more rice in hers and more meat in mine.

It's a process. Just make sure you have the foods that you need on hand or you will end up eating the granola and ice cream junk food...
  • NikoleFrancesca
    Options
    Thank you for some good tips. Tonight is the first dinner time while I'm healthy eating so we will see how it goes.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    This is a toughie!! My husband isn't super healthy but I know what it's like to try to watch what you eat while food is everywhere. I can't stand to see sweets, chocolate, chips or stuff laying around. If I see it, I eat it. I set all the bad stuff in one place in a cupboard that I don't access very much. I've even asked my husband to leave cookies in the garage :). I drink a big glass of water whenever I get the urge to raid the cabinet and have gum on hand or brush my teeth. I'm sure your guy will be supportive, ask him to limit crap in the house and be supportive/encouraging. Lucky for you if you can get him to workout with you! Also, I kind of give myself the first 2 weeks when I'm getting back into an exercise routine to be nice and not get upset if I eat something bad. After 2-3 weeks, I've put in so much hard work, I naturally start making better choices and feeling really good about myself and my will power. You can do it!
    ^^^this ^^^
    I used to make hubby hide the chocolate but I kept on finding it!
    Now I can eat a little without going overboard because I know how much work I've put into exercise I don't want to waste it.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If he doesn't have a problem eating the same things you are eating, maybe just larger portions, you should be fine. You said he was healthier, you didn't say he was unsupportive. There is a big difference.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    My partner (although he probably should!) doesn't watch what he eats either, but people often mistake 'diet' food for nothing but salads and plain chicken with veg.

I still make typically ‘non-diet- foods, like curries, burgers, chips, spaghetti, chilli, etc, but I make them from scratch and healthily. I don’t substitute pasta for squash or rice for cauliflower. I eat the real deal, just less of it, and the same goes for snacks. IIFYM.

I don’t think avoiding these foods altogether will work; for a start your partner will get annoyed at having to hide things or not bring them home, and you cannot avoid chocolate and crisps and cakes for the rest of your life. Learn to live with them, and learn to portion control, and you will be fine. :smile:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I think because he's male he has a higher calorie thresh hold and because he's active, that gives him more to total in his TDEE. You can eat all the things you enjoy, just portion them out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^This is what helped me understand how to take my diet and make it sustainable for life. Portion things and enjoy.